• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Coffee Brewers

emhahn

I found mine by accident, and I absolutely LOVE IT!

It's a Melitta.

It's a Melitte Mill and Brew. It has a grinder built in. So all you do, is put in your beans. Water. Set the timer. And *presto*..... you've got an awesome brew waiting for you every morning.

A wonderful addition to my mornings! I love making coffee at my house!

Eric

RestaurantEdge.com

I wouldn't trade my Techi Vorm Mocha Master for anything

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I've tried so many but sooner or later I usually come back to the good old Melitta cone manual drip-over. But I do love my vacuum pot and try to put it to use at least once a month or so (which is a fair amount for me since I usually make coffee at home only once per week)

I really like my Yama. I like my French press too but the Yama doesn't leave sediment. Vacuum, press, or drip, it mostly depends on grind and water temp and time of contact. At least that's the way it seems to me.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

It's a Melitte Mill and Brew. It has a grinder built in. So all you do, is put in your beans. Water. Set the timer. And *presto*..... you've got an awesome brew waiting for you every morning.

how noisy is the mill? The reason I get my coffee ground in-store (besides laziness) is that I'm usually awake first and grinders make so much noise I have to muffle it in a pillow. But this coffee maker definitely speaks to my lazy side.

I've tried so many but sooner or later I usually come back to the good old Melitta cone manual drip-over.  But I do love my vacuum pot and try to put it to use at least once a month or so (which is a fair amount for me since I usually make coffee at home only once per week)

I really love the Melitta too, especially in the a.m. - instead of the thermos/vacuum, I just brew a second cup.

In the afternoon, though, I'm usually using a stovetop moka for a quick double shot.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For those that have used the Yama vacuum pots, how does the end product compare with coffee from a drip machine?

I am considering having my wife pick one up for me in Japan. Is it fragile in terms of daily use/cleaning?

Sadly, glass items don't last very long in my household.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 3 weeks later...

My husband is El Exijente- he has been in the coffee business his entire career. I was very happy with my Braun coffeemaker but he brought me home a Techni Vorm which I really love. It makes a great, HOT, pot of coffee and is easy to use and keep clean. Last week he brought me home a Keurig machine which I hated at first because it is so big and takes up a lot of room on my counter. I am learning to love it because it makes a great, hot cup of coffee in about 30 seconds with nothing to clean.

For those that have used the Yama vacuum pots, how does the end product compare with coffee from a drip machine?

Is it fragile in terms of daily use/cleaning?

Vacuum pot coffee is somewhere in between drip coffee and press pot coffee. It has more of the crucial flavor components that are contained in the coffee oils which paper filters leach out but it has less sludge and is a bit less full bodied than press pot style. Some coffees are better than others for vac pot coffee and you'll definitely have to use more ground coffee per ounce of water than you do for drip. But the results can be incredibly smooth and very satisfying. It was truly a revelation for me as I've consumed drip coffee for many years but have never been enamored of press pot coffee.

I own and use a Bodum - not as elegant as a Yama but I think they're both made of tempered glass. I actually dropped my Bodum pot on the office floor accidentally when i first opened the box and it didn't break. We have concrete slab floors with thin pad and short nap industrial carpet - that's a pretty good testament to the durability of these pots.

Anybody use a Chemex?  I find that it makes one of the best cup of any I've used.  It's a bit of work but worth the effort.

Do you prefer it to a Melitta manual cone pour-over system? I've used and enjoyed both but can't detect a difference in the results. I stayed with Melitta because the drip cone fits on a thermal carafe I acquired. That lets' me brew directly into a pre-heated vessel that keeps the coffee warm.

But I also had a traumatic Chemex incident years ago - somehow my bathrobe slipped open and the side of it caught the Chemex pot and tipped it over - boiling hot water, grounds and all. I came very close to caffeinating my family jewels and have been very nervouis around Chemex pots ever since :biggrin:

But YMMV (you mileage may vary).

"But I also had a traumatic Chemex incident years ago - somehow my bathrobe slipped open and the side of it caught the Chemex pot and tipped it over - boiling hot water, grounds and all. I came very close to caffeinating my family jewels and have been very nervouis around Chemex pots ever since "

YIKES!

I use the Cuisinart Grind and Brew thermal carafe machine and I love it, but it is rather loud in the mornings.

In the rig I alternate between using a Hamilton Beach drip and a bodum. I love the bodum for all out flavour.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've had a Capresso thermal carafe for about 10 years now & I'm happy with it. It's used daily, easy to clean, & although it has a small capacity (8 cups), it's been one of my better appliance purchases. I have a Capresso grinder (think I liked my old Braun better) & I grind my beans about every 3-4 days. I think it's funny how I didn't really appreciate coffee until after I had kids...

• 3 weeks later...

My home brewed coffee has been degenerating for the past few years.

In the 80's, I used a Chemex. The coffee was wonderful. My first Chemex pot lasted for about seven years.When it finally broke I replaced it , and the second one broke within two weeks. I moved on to the Santos vacuum that was collecting dust in the closet, then to the Bodum press. Eventually I settled with the Krups electric drip. In those days (early 90's) that was the best electric drip coffee maker. There were at least a dozen models to choose from. It was better than the Melitta or Braun. I had several of them in my home, and last year, finally they were all gone. Someone gave me a new coffee maker for the holidays, and the coffee is not good.

I went shopping for a new Krups, and only could find one model (except for the thermos type). I suppose times have changed, because from what I'm reading here, and the fact that they only have one model, I guess it's no longer a good brand.

I need a new electric drip, primarily because I like to wake up to freshly made coffee. I may just try the Melitta. Hard to believe I was such a coffee snob that I would not have bought one twenty years ago.

The current generation of Cuisinart electric drip makers are said to brew hotter than most of the other brands. A god thign as most consuemr models of auto-drip makers brew far too cool and don't deliver great results for that reason. There are a few other harder to find brands like Technivorm that also perform really well and are worth seeking out.

We've had our Jura Capresso for about a year now and are so thrilled with it. It does everything: grinds, brews regular coffee, espresso, capuccino, whatever you want to set it to and also had a hot water spout for tea and a steamer for the lattes. We call it the best waste of money we've spent! I purchased some disposable thermal to-go cups and now we never need Starbucks either!

What is a Techi Vorm Mocha Master?

I've found the Capresso, and so far I guess it's between that and a Cuisinart. I see the Cuisinarts everywhere, but I remember them not making good coffee. They are, however getting pretty good reviews here. I may just give it another try.

The current generation of Cuisinart electric drip makers are said to brew hotter than most of the other brands. A god thign as most consuemr models of auto-drip makers brew far too cool and don't deliver great results for that reason.  There are a few other harder to find brands like Technivorm that also perform really well and are worth seeking out.

Which models? I've tried the stainless-steel "Brew Central" Cuisinart maker and it wasn't any better than a standard drip maker in my opinion.

The only machines I've found that do brew hoter (and better) are the Capressos. I do love me my Capresso coffee maker... truly wonder stuff.

Ok. I've located the Technivorm coffee maker.

I think I'm going to get the Capresso. It's easier to buy, and looks like it would be easier to take care of, if here are problems. Of course this is just my perception.

Thanks for all of your input.

This is a great site.

Edited by ada (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Though I have no personal experience with the Capresso, I sorta doubt that it would surpass the venerable Technivorm in brew temperatures and ultimately, coffee quality.

You can pick one up at http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com (disclosure: they're friends)

I'm bad. My favorite thing is the small ibrik that I own. I make a mean little cup every other morning in it. I can 'read' your coffee grounds, too. I have a french press for most guests, though. I don't think Americans as a rule can easily care for Middle Eastern style coffee. I don't even talk about my little ibrik. My sweet little ibrik! His name is Abrahim, BTW. I adore him, he's dented, stained and tin lined. I've got a half pound of Sumatra this month. Yum. OK, now I need a second cup.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06