• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

orbis, upper montclair

scarlet knight

• 2 months later...

We ate at Orbis 128 Watchung Avenue, Upper Montclair, about 5-6 years ago and while it was good then it wasn’t good enough at the time to run back so fast. Well, we did get here tonight and I am thrilled to tell you that our dinner was fabulous. Matt—last name unknown—is the chef and cooked a flawless dinner for us.

We shared an extremely tender calamari that was served in a spicy Thai chili, cilantro, and mint sauce. It was a special and if offered be sure to order it. Entrees were a hanger steak served medium rare with a cabernet shallot demi-glace. The menu listed the steak as being accompanied with shoestring potatoes but I was served French fries. Lowell had an excellent miso marinated pork chop accompanied with mashed potatoes and asparagus. We shared a fresh peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert. With one cup of coffee the bill was $75. For reservations call 973-746-7641; BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

rosie, i'm glad you wrote in. i too had a really good meal at orbis about 6 weeks ago after having not been there in several years. your post reminded me that i need to go back soon. i loved that they offered so many specials -- was that also the case the night you were there?

The new chef changed a lot of the menu around. Orbis has been given a breath of fresh air. Apparently he was hired from Hoboken and has many years of experience.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 4 months later...

We are regulars at Orbis and we had our usual good meal there.

I had the hanger steak described by Rosie above. Be sure to order it medium-rare or rare. The cut of meat tends to be tough. The thousand french fries served with it will ruin your diet, but you will be in french fry heaven.

My wife had a roasted chicken stuffed with mushrooms and fresh tarragon. It came with fresh spinach and cubed potatoes. It was great.

We hate to give away the secret, but it relatively quiet on weekdays and it has a very relaxing atmosphere. It is like being on vacation. The servers are generally young women who are friendly, bright and helpful. For weight watchers, there are daily fish specials that you cannot recreate at home. Chef Nancy pops into the restaurant frequently to make sure everything is OK.

Unlike Downtown Montclair, parking is easy. I think it's one of the best New Americans in the area.

We are regulars at Orbis and we had our usual good meal there.

I had the hanger steak described by Rosie above.  Be sure to order it medium-rare or rare.  The cut of meat tends to be tough.  The thousand french fries served with it will ruin your diet, but you will be in french fry heaven.

My wife had a roasted chicken stuffed with mushrooms and fresh tarragon.  It came with fresh spinach and cubed potatoes. It was great.

We hate to give away the secret, but it relatively quiet on weekdays and it has a very relaxing atmosphere.  It is like being on vacation.  The servers are generally young women who are friendly, bright and helpful.  For weight watchers, there are daily fish specials that you cannot recreate at home. Chef Nancy pops into the restaurant frequently to make sure everything is OK.

Unlike Downtown Montclair, parking is easy. I think it's one of the best New Americans in the area.

Thanks for the reviews, we went to Orbis years ago when it first opened, but have not been back since. We'll give it another try.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog