• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bergen County caterers

tommy

anyone know any good caterers in Bergen County? or at least a caterer who would take a job in bergen?

normally i'd just get Fink, but this event calls for something a bit different. i considered The Market Basket, but their catering menus don't do it for me. even a good restaurant who has experience catering would be nice.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, and what type of event-- there are so many catering possibilities; I suppose you want something more than the neighborhood deli that caters.

Off the top of my head, without more details from you, I thought of Jerry's in Englewood, Natalie's in Ridgewood, and Pourquoi Pas in Westwood...

T:

We used Above the Salt for our wedding at the Ridgewood Women's Club. The food was delicious, BUT the staff they provided were royal annoyances that my ever forgiving wife still complains about 11 years later.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

menton, good call on the details thing: afternoon pool party. elegant if at all possible. no children.

bill, thanks for the rec, although you know i have no tolerance for annoying people. i'd show them the curb halfway through, and we just can't have that. :biggrin: but where is Above the Salt?

not only do i want good food (and hopefully interesting food), but i'm hoping to get a place that actual handles the execution of the party well as well. anyone can cook good food, but i need someplace versed in catering and whatnot. like Fink, for example, comes walking in with tents and tables and coolers and in 10 minutes he's up and running and people are chowing down having a grand ol' time. worry and hassle free for the host.

If you've already ruled out the 3 I mentioned above, I also thought of Taste of Everything on Oak Street in Ridgewood. I only have a 3rd party report, but everything I heard about the place is excellent. They also try to be very "Ridgewood-y", so it probably will pass your "elegant" requirement. Don't know the exact address, but it's just down the street from Brooklyn Pizza. The only thing I can't swear to is if they will set up and serve the food as well.

Have tasted the excellent food from Tia's, Food of Love, 973-744-0008

Also from Sherry Beltramini-Pincus 973-746-8124

Never used these caterers but have heard good things about:

Lawrence Craig Distinctive Catering 973-761-0190

Mardi Gras--973-857-3777

Monterey Gourmet 908-766-2000

Sandy Spector 908-756-0310

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

T:

You? Picky? I remember when you would pick Moon and KP would pick Bonham....

Above the Salt has a store in Franklin Lakes

Above the Salt

Please keep in mind that our wedding was 11 years ago (and 25 lbs, mostly because of EGlutton) - I expect that the people that offended our sensibilities at the wedding are long since gone.

Sandy reminded me that we used Epicure for my son'd baptism - we did that at the house and the food was incredible. We didn't hire anyone for the day but we should have.

Epicure

Edited by wfnugent (log)

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

not only do i want good food (and hopefully interesting food), but i'm hoping to get a place that actual handles the execution of the party well as well.  anyone can cook good food, but i need someplace versed in catering and whatnot.  like Fink, for example, comes walking in with tents and tables and coolers and in 10 minutes he's up and running and people are chowing down having a grand ol' time.  worry and hassle free for the host.

T-

PLEASE call Mark Gagnon at OME Caterers, and tell him I sent you. 973-560-4540. He's your guy...trust me. His staff is FABULOUS, displays elegant, food terrific, and he's very creative with all kinds of cuisines. I use him all the time for work events, which include in-home parties as well as full sit-down dinners at our favorite facilities. They're very good at listening to their clients and coming up with what YOU want, and they work all over NJ/NY, including the Hamptons...Bergen County will be no problem for them! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I used to work for Above the Salt....new owners and new chef now....

my mom used to deal with OME alot loved the people there

former chef from Above the Salt is opening his own place may be available at this number ...Kevin's Thyme 201 445 6400

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I recommend "A Taste Of Distinction" - they are located just over the border in Rockland County, NY. The food is absolutely delicious and the staff is very friendly, knowledgable and helpful. I have had numerous meals from them and have always been extremely happy (that is why I keep on going back!). I have also been to a few parties that have been catered by them and the food and service were amazing. Here is a ink to their website http://atasteofdistinction.com/

The phone number is 845-362-8038

Enjoy!!!

anyone know any good caterers in Bergen County?  or at least a caterer who would take a job in bergen?

normally i'd just get Fink, but this event calls for something a bit different.  i considered The Market Basket, but their catering menus don't do it for me.  even a good restaurant who has experience catering would be nice.

I have used Best of Everything (Ridgewood) My parents used Clemente's (S. Hackensack) and most recently I hve used Tony @ Fat Kat (Little Ferry) -- I have used Fat Kat for both office and home catering and I have never had a complaint!

I can't say the same about Best of Everything.

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Oh I'll get shot if I forget this one....The former manager of the Saddle River Market has his own restaurant in Ridgewood that should be doing catering ...

Gazelle Café and Grill. 77 Godwin Avenue, Ridgewood. (201) 689-9689.

very light renditions of classic foods

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

afterthought!

Rocco's Market caters - out of Glen Rock!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

anyone know any good caterers in Bergen County?  or at least a caterer who would take a job in bergen?

normally i'd just get Fink, but this event calls for something a bit different.  i considered The Market Basket, but their catering menus don't do it for me.  even a good restaurant who has experience catering would be nice.

If you live anywhere accessible to Pomona, NY (Rockland County), stop in and check out A Taste of Distinction. Their food is extraordinary....it is a gourmet shop with a few tables, as well as a huge showcase of take out foods, made fresh daily, very creative and better than any I've had. Their catering staff is extremely professional as well as personable and the food presentation for parties is exceptional...

thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. i honestly had no idea that all of these places existed. very helpful, and good for future reference.

i won't say who i picked, but i will say that i totally ruled out everything menton1 suggested. :raz: