• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A great dinner btw'n N. Haven and Mystic?

I will be in Niantic one Saturday night in July without my small children and want a fantastic dinner in an un-child-friendly place, the kind of place we normally never get to go to with them in tow. We like ethnic (to include French and Mediterranean) and excellence, eschewing elegance.

Any suggestions? I have heard good things about Cafe Routier and Gabrielle's in Westbrook. Has anyone been to either? Thank you for your tips!

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

About 20 miles further south on 95 is Le Petit Cafe, a French restaurant in Branford.

"The Menu" says Le Petit is worth the drive from anywhere in Connecticut and this is the second year in a row that it heads the top of their list! A 9.6 out of 10....

BTW, for those not familiar, The Menu is a restaurant guide book for the New Haven area (and I think it is great). www.newhavenmenu.com

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I love Cafe Routier. I have been there many times.

Everything I have had there has been good or excellent. Especially their steak frites.

The place is not that fancy, people come in there in jeans and fairly casual, the menu is french bistro.

I have also heard good things about le petit cafe.

the ex chef opened a restaurant in the area. i think its in saybrook or mystic. his name is jack flaws. his name is the name of the restaurant,,,i think its jacks bistro and wine bar. i heard great things! if you go tell him mike from cavey's says hi. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...