• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A tale of two sauces

Daniel

After having some friends over and ordering thai food, i was going through the left overs.. I looked at two empty containers, one containing massaman curry, the other a green curry.. I threw them out.. What would should i have done instead...

gallery_15057_181_43166.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

After having some friends over and ordering thai food, i was going through the left overs.. I looked at two empty containers, one containing massaman curry, the other a green curry.. I threw them out.. What would should i have done instead...

Think I woulda downloaded into some dahl, or ANYTHING to recycle the spices, if they were fresh...

In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures. -- Cicero

What a waste!!!

Save/freeze the sauces. Use the green one with chicken or shrimp (stir-fry and add to the sauce; reheat gently, or heat the sauce and serve over grilled chicken or shrimp). Use the massaman one with beef (stir-fry or with steak).

Or, the simplest thing, just cook some rice and eat with the sauce!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

What a waste!!!

Save/freeze the sauces. Use the green one with chicken or shrimp (stir-fry and add to the sauce; reheat gently, or heat the sauce and serve over grilled chicken or shrimp). Use the massaman one with beef (stir-fry or with steak).

Or, the simplest thing, just cook some rice and eat with the sauce!

You be right! *G*

In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures. -- Cicero

I wouldn't venture too far from what SuziSushi said, but here's something I've done before-

Butterfly some chicken breasts and pound flat and even. Marinate in some fish sauce/soy/rice wine. Remove after an hour or so, lay flat and cover one side with basil leaves- roll and tie with string. Grill, remove string and serve sliced atop the green curry.

You could do something similar with the massaman and beef, only I would stuff the beef with crushed peanuts, raisins, chiles.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 3 weeks later...

Next time, save them and toss them with some cooked noodle the next day. Add meat/vegetables if you like.