• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateauneuf du Papes visit

Freckles

Hi, all. Friends and I are spending the weekend of the 9th-10th at CDP. Visits are pretty much out of the question on weekends, but most vinyards do offer degustations/ tastings.

Where shall I book???? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

We've been to the main wine co-op in Chateau-neuf-du-pape- twice, while passing thru.

It's very good, they have a variety of local vineyards represented.

For lunch, go on to Gigondas, two restaurants we recommend there. One in the center of town, one up on the hill. If you need me to, we can look up the names.

Also, Beaumes-de-venise has some good tasting rooms in the center of town...

On another note, stop at Bernard Castelain on your way out of Chateau-neuf-du-pape. He's an incredible chocolatier, its where he actually makes it. The dark chocolate chocolate almonds and the dark chocolate ginger slices make me crazy....and, believe it or not, I'm not a huge chocolate lover!

Philly Francophiles

Beaumes-de-Venise is best known for it's sweet muscats, but its red wines are generally lesser known and a good value.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Check out Beaucastel near, if I remember correctly, Orange.

When I was there in the fall of 2003, they were talking about opening up a restaurant.

As for Beaurenard, it's very homey, and they have an interesting Musee de la Vigne with all sorts of antique wine-making equipment. Nice people as well.

Edited by Lesley C (log)

We've been to the main wine co-op in Chateau-neuf-du-pape- twice, while passing thru.

It's very good, they have a variety of local vineyards represented.

For lunch, go on to Gigondas, two restaurants we recommend there. One in the center of town, one up on the hill. If you need me to, we can look up the names.

Also, Beaumes-de-venise has some good tasting rooms in the center of town...

On another note, stop at Bernard Castelain on your way out of Chateau-neuf-du-pape. He's an incredible chocolatier, its where he actually makes it. The dark chocolate chocolate almonds and the dark chocolate ginger slices make me crazy....and, believe it or not, I'm not a huge chocolate lover!

We had a wonderful meal at Les Florets, just outside of Gigondas -- one of my favorite meals ever, on the terasse with a view of the dentelles. It's just outside of town (folow the signs). Is this the one you're thinking of? It was, and may still be a Michelin Bib Gourmand, so the price/quality ratio is high. 04 90 65 85 01.

The Guide Micheline also lists L'Oustalet in Gigondas, actually in the town, if that name rings any bells. 04 90 65 85 30.

If you do get to Gigondas, there is co-op tasting room right on the main drag in the village (to the left as you walk in) and a tourist center to give further guidance.

If you want someplace inexpensive and, in my opinion, delightful, you can go to the next village down, Vacquyras, tast in the wine shop next to the church, and have a dinner of meat grilled over grape clippings beneath the plane trees at the village entrance. It ain't haute cuisine, but it's a nice place to be when the sun goes down.

Beumes-de-Venice, btw, has a public pool, so if you've had a hot day of drinking young red wine and need to cool off, that's the place to be. Speedos only, for men.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We had a wonderful meal at Les Florets, just outside of Gigondas -- one of my favorite meals ever, on the terasse with a view of the dentelles.  It's just outside of town (folow the signs).  Is this the one you're thinking of? It was, and may still be a Michelin Bib Gourmand, so the price/quality ratio is high. 04 90 65 85 01.

The Guide Micheline also lists L'Oustalet in Gigondas, actually in the town, if that name rings any bells.  04 90 65 85 30.

If you do get to Gigondas, there is co-op tasting room right on the main drag in the village (to the left as you walk in) and a tourist center to give further guidance.

Yes, thank you, Busboy...Les Florets is brilliant, as is L'oustalet! Les Florets is up on the hill, beautiful view, great food. L'Oustalet had a terrific truffle omelet, the best I've ever had, and its right next to that co-op tasting room. They have a marc de gigondas there that is smooth as can be.

Philly Francophiles

We had a wonderful meal at Les Florets, just outside of Gigondas -- one of my favorite meals ever, on the terasse with a view of the dentelles.  It's just outside of town (folow the signs).  Is this the one you're thinking of? It was, and may still be a Michelin Bib Gourmand, so the price/quality ratio is high. 04 90 65 85 01.

The Guide Micheline also lists L'Oustalet in Gigondas, actually in the town, if that name rings any bells.  04 90 65 85 30.

Yes, thank you, Busboy...Les Florets is brilliant, as is L'oustalet! Les Florets is up on the hill, beautiful view, great food. L'Oustalet had a terrific truffle omelet, the best I've ever had, and its right next to that co-op tasting room. They have a marc de gigondas there that is smooth as can be.

We too have enjoyed L'Oustalet, right on the little square in the village, as well as the lovely Les Florets just out of the village. The owners of Les Florets have their own Gigondas wine which is 100% syrah. I read recently that the German owners of L'Oustalet had skipped to the lovely little neighboring village of Le Sablet and opened a restaurant there. Can anyone confirm this?