• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Clifton

SusanGiff

Pretty narrow geographical range, I realize. But my son's in a summer camp near that intersection; he gets out at 1:30, which means I could feasibly check out some lunch options at around noon. (This is how suburban Moms in Cars manage to do any culinary exploration at all.) Any suggestions are welcome, but especially ethnic. I've already seen a Lebanese place pretty close by that looked promising--sorry, can't remember the name!

Thanks.

Susan

If you are coming from Piaget and passing the White Castle on Main St. on your right, continue down Piaget until you get to Lexington Ave. Make a left and The Hot Grill is a block away on your left. Excellent Texas Weiners. Or you can turn on Main going in the direction with White Castle on your right hand side. A few blocks down is the Midtown Grill; another Texas Weiner joint. Or you can just go to White Castle.

John the hot dog guy

Great Italian restaurant

La Riviera Trattoria

421 Piaget Ave Clifton

973/478-4181

right next door is their storefront restaurant and they have take out.

There's also a new mexican (sorry I forgot the name) on Main just a couple of blocks past the White Castle going towards Passaic.

If you go don't mind take out then go to

Baskinger's Deli

353 Crooks Ave.

They set up a great hot and cold buffet (take out only - they do have some picnic tables outside - at least they did last summer). Great selection and food is very good. They also have very good bakery right next door with a take out cofffee bar.

Thank you! Rosie, do I head north on Main (well, left from Piaget--not absolutely sure it's north) do get to the places in Paterson? I'm ashamed to tell you where I live--close enough to know these things.

I'm looking forward to checking all these places out. The Midtown already caught my eye, as it's about a block from camp. And I just noticed the Mexican this morning, so I may try it, too.

FYI, I just picked up some bagels on 46 East near the turn-off for Piaget at a place called Goldberg's, which advertised it's traditional boiled-water bagels, a good sign. Anyone know it? They were grand--really chewy and not at all sweet. I think they're going to be my new supplier.

Thanks again.

Susan

Susan

I have worked in the area for many years. Clifton, Paterson,& Passaic are a hotbed of ethnic food; Middle Eastern, Mexican, Spanish, and Polish. It's also probably the world capital of Texas Weiners, but take your mom to La Riveria(see Nizza above).

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.