• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream, Gelato, Sherbet--Cook-Off 11

Chris Amirault

Ok, some feedback on coconut milk from my chef, who created the recipe:

I made this sorbet with Soy Milk in my e-cookbook Seriously Good (Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free) Food ® for a dairy-allergic nephew, and it works fine, so I can see no reason why coconut milk wouldn't work with a few cautionary yellow flags thrown up for you to consider: Because coconut milk is rather thick and unctuous once the water is reincorporated into the coconut, you may need to adjust the amount or thin it with additional water.

Additionally, keep in mind that lemongrass is deliciously subtle and aromatic. The coconut milk may overwhelm the perfumed effect of the lemongrass in the mouth.

Let us know how the variation works -- and tastes! :smile:

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

I tried a cantelope sorbet yesterday according to Pépin's recipe in Complete techniques, the basic proportions being:

that reminded me of one of my favorite recipes from last year. i like granitas or ices as much as sorbets (depending on the flavor) and they have the added advantage of being made without any special equipment--just a pie plate in the freezer.

Honeydew ice with blackberries and white Port

Total time: 20 minutes, plus 2 to 3 hours freezing time

Servings: 4 to 6

Note: I tried this with several different wines, trying to find the perfect complement. It works well with Muscat-based wines such as Moscato or Beaumes de Venise. But when I tried it with a good-quality white Port, such as the one made by Ramos Pinto (available at selected fine wine shops), I knew I'd found the perfect match.

1 (4- to 5-pound) honeydew melon

3 to 4 tablespoons sugar

1 pint blackberries, blueberries or raspberries

2 tablespoons white Port

1. Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Using a spoon, scoop out chunks of melon flesh, putting them in a food processor work bowl. Don't dig too deep -- the melon close to the peel has a strong cucumber flavor.

2. Puree the melon and stir in 2 tablespoons sugar. Taste and add one more tablespoon if necessary. Because chilling reduces flavor, the mixture should be very sweet.

3. Pour the puree into a 7- by 11-inch glass baking dish (or another dish that will hold the puree to a depth of three-fourths to 1 inch). Freeze the puree for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the freezer and stir the puree with a fork, breaking up any chunks of ice. Repeat 4 or 5 times over 2 to 3 hours. Each time, the ice will be a little less liquid and will stick together more. When it is firm enough to hold a shape, it is done.

4. Try not to let the melon ice freeze solid. If it does, chop it into small pieces in the pan and grind it in the food processor.(The result will be lighter and fluffier and the flavor will not be as dense and luscious.)

5. Stir together the berries with 1 tablespoon sugar and the Port. Let the fruit mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, spoon the melon ice into martini or short wine glasses and spoon some of the berries with their liqueur over the top of each.

(forgive me oh gods of copyright)

here is the mint ice cream and the last of the chocolate one topped with chocolate sauce. The mint flavor was nice but a little too subtle, next time more mint is in order.

gallery_5404_94_165585.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I made a balsamic vinegar and black cherry gelato this weekend and it was very well received. I intend to try it again while cherries are still available and replace the balsamic vinegar with some kirsch.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i'm playing with different ice creams for a story and a failed test reminded me of a couple of guidelines: 1) there is such a thing as too much fat, and it's not that much, really--when you start to develop that waxy feeling in the back of your mouth (around 18% butterfat, i find); 2) all flavorings need to be WAY heightened to counteract the effect of the chilling. a base with a subtle, elegant flavor will taste like absolutely nothing when frozen.

We featured a Lemongrass Cilantro Sorbet last month on Gastronomic Meditations, and the aromas coming from the pan as the milk was heating had me in a frenzy.  (I get really excited about cilantro.  And lemongrass.)

That does sound very tasty, except I don't really like milk. How about coconut milk instead? Anyone ever used that in sorbet or gelato?

-Erik

That's all that's usually used for "ice cream" in Thailand. Very tasty. I don't see why you'd want to dilute it, but please, use real coconut milk, not Coco Loco, that stuff doesn't taste as good as coconut milk that hasn't been homogenized to death. Just warm up a can or two of Chaokoh or Mae Ploy, sweeten to taste with sugar (make it a little sweeter then you would like it to be, it will taste less sweet when it's frozen). Chill it, and then freeze. The thick coconut fat part on top of the milk will be mixed into the ice cream, not to worry. Very easy. Add in young coconut or grated coconut when it's freezing if you want to get fancy. Top with corn, roasted peanuts, hearts of palm, etc. etc. if you like.

regards,

trillium

Edited by trillium (log)

I made this ice cream - fresh strawberry - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105139

this weekend

This is one of the best basic recipes I have ever used for IC. I started using it a couple of summers ago after Mayhaw Man (I think) did his blog and raved about this ice cream. It is very creamy without being eggy.

I made it all the night before, let the strawberry custard sit in the fridge to get really cold, and churned in the icecream maker while we were cleaning up after the main course. Took about 20 minutes. Servied with decedent chocolate brownies

I am going to start experimenting with substituting other fresh fruits for the strawberries - raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Highly recommended. :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

I have a bumper crop of berries this year, including golden raspberries. These berries, which were growing on my property when I got there, have a pleasing but not too exciting flavor--sort of generic fruit flavor. I was thinking they would make a good base for a sorbet in combination with some herb or another. Any suggestions on herbs?

I made this ice cream - fresh strawberry - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105139

this weekend

This is one of the best basic recipes I have ever used for IC.  I started using it a couple of summers ago after Mayhaw Man (I think) did his blog and raved about this ice cream.  It is very creamy without being eggy.

I made it all the night before, let the strawberry custard sit in the fridge to get really cold, and churned in the icecream maker while we were cleaning up after the main course.  Took about 20 minutes.  Servied with decedent chocolate brownies

I am going to start experimenting with substituting other fresh fruits for the strawberries - raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Highly recommended.  :biggrin:

I just printed this recipe. I like how little eggs it has. How did it freeze? Was it still scoopable after hours in the freezer?

I am a big fan of frozen berries unless I can find good quality fresh ones. So I will probably be using frozen ones when I try it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have a bumper crop of berries this year, including golden raspberries. These berries, which were growing on my property when I got there, have a pleasing but not too exciting flavor--sort of generic fruit flavor. I was thinking they would make a good base for a sorbet in combination with some herb or another. Any suggestions on herbs?

No suggestions on herbs, but how about if you puree some of them and cook them down to concentrate the flavor? Add a bit of lemon to add a little zing?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Elie, I'd love a recipe for the mint ice cream.  We're mint chocolate chip ice cream fans in my household and I just scored 2 ice cream makers on eBay...............

Due to copyright issues I cannot post a recipe from a cookbook on the forums. We can communicate about it via PM instead.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

How did it freeze? Was it still scoopable after hours in the freezer?

I can't answer this as I have never had any left over to freeze! :biggrin:

So I will probably be using frozen ones when I try it.

I would urge you to use fresh fruit if available. Strawberries are still available where I live, and I think it makes the ice cream very fresh tasting.

Let me know how you like it.

After forever_young_ca's glowing endorsement above I went out this morning & bought strawberries, because I couldn't go another day without fresh strawberry ice cream :biggrin:

Wonderful husband Bill then made ice-cream for me following the linked recipe except he didn't strain the seeds since we both grew up expecting seeds in home-made strawberry ice-cream.

here's the custard with the strawberry puree about to be added in. if you look closely you can see the line left behind in the custard by the spoon running through it:

gallery_20334_1534_170360.jpg

and here it is all pretty & swirly being mixed together:

gallery_20334_1534_259471.jpg

here's the mix ready to freeze:

gallery_20334_1534_134246.jpg

and here's the final product about to be devoured by yours truly:

gallery_20334_1534_17968.jpg

I totally agree with forever_young_ca - this recipe is fabulous! :wub: If I hadn't watched it being made, I would swear it had guar gum or some other stabilizer to get that perfect texture. Bill theorizes that it's the protein in the egg white that causes that particularly smooth mouth feel. Bill was worried when making it that it would be too lemony as the recipe calls for a large amount of lemon juice & peel, but it was just right, if anything, I'd use a spoonful less sugar, and since strawberry ice-cream is all about feeding your inner 6 year old, not even that...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Anyone got a good blueberry sorbet or gelato recipe to share? My wife loves blueberries, and I'd like to make one while the local blueberries are still available.

This Blueberry Sorbet from Rob Feenie looks pretty promising. Probably double it, though.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Eden, I have made this ice cream many times and it has never failed to please. :biggrin:

Question - I have always chilled the strawberry custard mix overnight to make sure that I get the mix cold enough. Did you do this - or put the mix straight into the ice cream maker?

I do not have an expensive maker - a Cuisinart with a bowl that I keep permanently in the freezer.

Eden, I have made this ice cream many times and it has never failed to please.  :biggrin:

Question - I have always chilled the strawberry custard mix overnight to make sure that I get the mix cold enough.  Did you do this - or put the mix straight into the ice cream maker?

I do not have an expensive maker - a Cuisinart with a bowl that I keep permanently in the freezer.

No we only chilled it for the minimum 2 hours listed in the recipe. waiting a full day might have killed me ;->

we use an older Krups model with a canister that lives in the freezer also.

Anyone got a good blueberry sorbet or gelato recipe to share?  My wife loves blueberries, and I'd like to make one while the local blueberries are still available.

This Blueberry Sorbet from Rob Feenie looks pretty promising.  Probably double it, though.

-Erik

Erik I recently made Blueberry sorbet adapted from a blackberry sorbet recipe which I think was from the Williams and Sonoma Ice Cream book.

It was something like (ill check later when I get home)

3 Cups fresh blueberries (I used 2 fresh and 1 frozen)

1 1/4 cups sugar

3 Tbls lemon juice

1 1/2 cups water

Put blueberries and sugar in a suacepan with water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for a couple of minutes (or until blueberries are soft and breaking down).

Puree mixture in a blender (Do it in small batches so as not to turn everything in the vicinity purple)

Strain if you choose (I did)

Put in machine according to your instructions.

I have to say, this had a very intense blueberry flavor. More than I thought it would. I plan on trying this with other fruits, and maybe dialing down the sugar a bit.

Msk

Anyone got a good blueberry sorbet or gelato recipe to share?  My wife loves blueberries, and I'd like to make one while the local blueberries are still available.

This Blueberry Sorbet from Rob Feenie looks pretty promising.  Probably double it, though.

-Erik

The recipe I use is as follows:

2 pints of blueberries, pureed with 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid (lemon juice will do, this is to set the color)

sugar syrup - 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar.

Combine the two and strain (it's easier to strain the blueberries once the sugar syrup has been added). Chill and churn.

I infused my sugar syrup with thyme, but that's completely optional.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I hurned the rested chocolate ice cream yesterday. From the first picture you can tell that it is pretty

BTW, this mix has no cream or eggs, only whole milk, powdered milk, sugar and chocolate.

Elie

sorry about that last post.... :wub:

i would like to know how to make this wonderful looking choco ice cream wtih just whole milk, powdered milk sugar and chocolate. can you let us in on the secret

please......

Eden-

The starwberry ice cream looks great! Did you freeze any or was it all consumed? If you did, how did it freeze?

Elie

having now tried the "hardened" ice-cream I can say it did OK. It gets extremely hard, but a few moments of resting on the counter & it's scoopable, without having totally melted. it does have some ice-crystals in there now, but not too bad & the flavor remains outstanding.

Wow, I need to spend more time here, because I've totally missed this thread until now. I'm moving a bunch of stuff into my new apartment today and the ice cream maker is coming over in the first batch, so I can get the bowl in the freezer (I have the Cuisinart) and make some ice cream tonight.

For the person who was looking for a good caramel ice cream recipe, I recommend the one from Simple to Spectacular by Mark Bittman and Jean-Georges Vongerichten. It's got that burnt-caramel flavor - almost more like coffee than milk caramel.

I haven't made ice cream in a couple of years. Wonder what I'll make first? Maybe just a simple vanilla-bourbon would be good.

Jennie

all you sorbet/granita makers: have you tried making them without sugar syrup? Just puree the fruit with some sugar and freeze. i learned this trick from a chef visiting from sicily; the flavors are very clean and direct.

I've only gone this route with strawberries -- both plain and strawberry with balsamic vinegar and vanilla.

I'm always afraid the sorbet will get too hard if I don't use syrup.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs