• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream, Gelato, Sherbet--Cook-Off 11

Chris Amirault

This sounds good. A few years ago, back when I could eat all I wanted of anything and not gain weight -- well actually I guess it was like 10 or 15 years ago, there was a period of time that I made ice cream about once a week. Now it's been a year or more since I made ice cream and it was Florida mango ice cream. Some of my favorite recipes for homemade besides mango are white chocolate macadamia, mint chocolate chip, peach, vanilla, and what I haven't yet perfected, butter almond or butter something. I fall into the use-plenty-of-eggs-and-cream and cook-the-day-before-freezing-it camp. Does anyone have a tried and true butter nut ice cream recipe?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan in FL, would you be willing to share your mango ice cream recipe and your white chocolate macadamia recipe? They sound wonderful. I don't know anything about cooking the custard in advance, have never thought it necessary for my ice creams, but would be willing to try it for a different kind of ice cream.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Gladly: I use this recipe from Food Network/ Emeril Lagasse for mango ice cream. However, the directions are faulty! :angry: I am intending to modify it, because the directions do not make sense, and post it to RecipeGullet. I'm sure you will see what I mean... It's confusing about what you mix together and cook and what to add to another. If you aren't accustomed to cooking custard ahead of freezing and you're not sure what to do, let me know. Meanwhile, I'll do my best to get the revised recipe on RecipeGullet. I have made the Tropical Fruit Relish once, and it's good, too.

For the white chocolate macadamia ice cream, I will need to post that, since I don't have a recipe to point you to online. When I get them done, I'll put a link here.

Ok, we decided that sorbet, sherbet, and gelato qualify for this thread. I would like to throw in this concoction as well (moderators: feel free to remove it if it does not belong in this thread), it's frozen, it has lots of cream and it is wickedly delicious. It's frozen nougat!

gallery_5404_94_149969.jpg

The recipe is from an issue of Food and Wine magzine and I have been meaning to try it for a while. I am very glad I did becuase like I said it is an excellent frozen dessert. Basically it is whipped cream, whipped egg whites, crushed nut brittle and dried fruit soaked in liquer. The end result is soft, and a little chewy After several hours in the freezer. It can certainly be scooped like regular ice cream instead of sliced. The recipe calles for a citrus sauce to go with it, but I just used some preserved homemade orange peels.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My icecreammaker broke down about a year ago and I never got round to buying a new one. So I made my icecream in the freezer.. taking it out and whisking it up every 45 minutes or so.. it took forever to freeze.. and when it was finally frozen, it was midnight and I wanted to go to bed!

So we waited to try it until tonight. The flavor was absolutely fantastic but I'm not very happy with the texture. In spite of my frequent whisking it still has a lot of ice crystals.

I need a new icecream maker!

anyway this is my cook-off contribution: blueberry lime coconut icecream

gallery_21505_358_16927.jpg

it's frozen, it has lots of cream and it is wickedly delicious. It's frozen nougat!

Elie that loos delicious. Is it churned in an icecreammaker or just frozen in a loafpan? Like a parfait? would you be willing to share the recipe?

gallery_6903_111_42153.jpg

The ingredients.

gallery_6903_111_6388.jpg

Churning the custard.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the finished ice cream. We ended up taking it to my daughter's house for an impromptu feast that combined all our food resources on Canada Day. But it was loverly!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Refering to a Foodman post from June 29 or 30: "On a good note, awsome cookoff! I am planning on making some chocolate ice cream tonight based on Pierre Herme's recipe. I have made it before, but this timke I want to add something to it. I am thinking some lightly -very lightly- salted crushed nut brittle. We'll see..."

I made this ice cream over the holiday. Used 70% chocolate. Had not used the ice cream maker for awhile (Krups). The mixture did not freeze well in the maker althougth the cannister had been in the freezer for about 22 hours. The ice cream was very grainy....any hints?

Edited by ldubois2 (log)

We made this recipe for mojito sorbet yesterday and it was just incredible. We used about 1/4 cup of rum but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. My husband served it with a little extra (liquid) mojito around it, which gave it a little fizz.

I've got some pictures and will add them once I figure out how to add images (this is my first post). It was a gorgeous pale green color.

Thanks for the recipe, Erik!

I'm thinking about a "mojito sorbet" for 4th of July.  It's based on a successful herb lemon sorbet I made earlier last month.  Do you think this will work?

Erik

-----

Here's my idea for prepartion.

1 cup sugar

2 cups water

A bunch of Mint

2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime/lemon juice

1/8 cup rum

chiffonade of mint

lime zest

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water until the sugar dissolves. Add the mint; stir until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand approximately 10 minutes.

Place a fine strainer over a large bowl and pour syrup mixture through (straining out the mint). Add lime juice, rum, mint and lime zest to the strained syrup mixture; stir until thoroughly blended.

Chill and run through your favorite ice cream or gelato maker procedure.

Edited by Sue Flay (log)

Refering to a Foodman post from June 29 or 30: "On a good note, awsome cookoff! I am planning on making some chocolate ice cream tonight based on Pierre Herme's recipe. I have made it before, but this timke I want to add something to it. I am thinking some lightly -very lightly- salted crushed nut brittle. We'll see..."

I made this ice cream over the holiday.  Used 70% chocolate.  Had not used the ice cream maker for awhile (Krups).  The mixture did not freeze well in the maker althougth the cannister had been in the freezer for about 22 hours.  The ice cream was very grainy....any hints?

hmmm..that is odd. Like I said, I've made this ice cream before and it freezes perfectly fine with good texture and a pure chocolate flavor.

I made the chocolate ice cream mix yesterday using El Rey 70% chocolate and it is currently resting in my fridge waiting to be churned tonight. I also made -instead of brittle but similar- candied nuts from the same PH book to add to it. The problem is I managed to slighlty scorch the nuts and I am not sure if I should add them to the ice cream now. I guess I'll taste and see tonight. Maybe you should try resting the mix overnight in the fridge, I do that with ALL my ice creams before churning, it should help freeze it faster and results in a better texture.

Chufi- The Nougat is not churned. The whipped cream is whipped stiff, folded with stiffly beaten meringue and other ingredients and frozen in a loaf pan. The end result is very soft and a little chewy. If you are interested in a recipe PM me, since this is a F&W recipe I cannot post it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The Nougat is not churned. The whipped cream is whipped stiff, folded with stiffly beaten meringue and other ingredients and frozen in a loaf pan. The end result is very soft and a little chewy. If you are interested in a recipe PM me, since this is a F&W recipe I cannot post it.

how about letting us know which issue of F&W? I'm also interested in this recipe, and trust my librarians to help me track down old magazine issues... (give them chocolate occasionally & they'll do anything for you :laugh: )

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

The Nougat is not churned. The whipped cream is whipped stiff, folded with stiffly beaten meringue and other ingredients and frozen in a loaf pan. The end result is very soft and a little chewy. If you are interested in a recipe PM me, since this is a F&W recipe I cannot post it.

how about letting us know which issue of F&W? I'm also interested in this recipe, and trust my librarians to help me track down old magazine issues... (give them chocolate occasionally & they'll do anything for you :laugh: )

Here is the link to the recipe, but I think you need to buy an issue or be a subscriber to get to it. It's from the December 2004 issue.

BTW, I had no Kirsch so I substituted a mixture of bourbon and white wine for it (about 2Tbsp. each).

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here is the link to the recipe, but I think you need to buy an issue or be a subscriber to get to it. It's from the December 2004 issue.

BTW, I had no Kirsch so I substituted a mixture of bourbon and white wine for it (about 2Tbsp. each).

Elie

Thank you kindly. I'm looking forward to trying it. the citrus sauce recipe looks like it has potential for other dishes as well.

The Williams Sonoma Ice Cream book has some excellent recipes. We've been working our way through it. The Chocolate Raspberry Truffle is the best ice cream I've made. The only one I didn't like was the cherry. I plan on trying the caramel later this week. We've got a blueberry tart to finish off first.

How fussy are you all about ingredients? When I make ice cream, I have to have regular pasteurized cream with no stabilizers or thickeners, which is hard to find around here; I usually have to make a special trip to whole foods for it. The wife thinks I'm crazy but I think it gives the ice cream a pure creaminess that is spoiled by additives.

And of course, when there's good ripe fruit to be had at the farmer's market, there will soon be sorbet in the freezer.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I hurned the rested chocolate ice cream yesterday. From the first picture you can tell that it is pretty thick, a couple of notches down from a pudding! I also decided not to add the caramlized nuts since they were a little...err...'overtoasted' and I did not want them to overpower the chocolate. They are ok to eat out of hand though.

gallery_5404_94_74762.jpg

gallery_5404_94_113500.jpg

In the machine

gallery_5404_94_75934.jpg

After about 10 minutes of churning, smooth creamy and delicious.

BTW, this mix has no cream or eggs, only whole milk, powdered milk, sugar and chocolate.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

We made this recipe for mojito sorbet yesterday and it was just incredible. We used about 1/4 cup of rum but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. My husband served it with a little extra (liquid) mojito around it, which gave it a little fizz.

Thanks for the recipe, Erik!

No problem! I made it for the 4th and it turned out outstanding for me too.

I used washed raw sugar for the syrup and an amber rum, so mine was a little brown-ish. The only change I made was to use all lime juice and bump up the amount to 1/4 cup. I was worried, if I increased the liquor too much, that I would end up with a frozen drink instead of sorbet. I poured some chilled rum over the sorbet when I served it. I like the extra mojito garnish idea, too.

I did get a lello gelato jr. and it did an excellent job with the sorbet. It is a bit bigger than it looks in pictures and pretty heavy. However, it was nice and fast (~25 min) and it was great not to not have to futz around with making the granita in the freezer, and then run it through the blender. I'd gotten pretty proficient at the freezer procedure, so the end product was about the same. I'm looking forward to trying some true gelato, soon.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

How fussy are you all about ingredients? When I make ice cream, I have to have regular pasteurized cream with no stabilizers or thickeners, which is hard to find around here; I usually have to make a special trip to whole foods for it. The wife thinks I'm crazy but I think it gives the ice cream a pure creaminess that is spoiled by additives.

And of course, when there's good ripe fruit to be had at the farmer's market, there will soon be sorbet in the freezer.

I've been reading this thread and marveling at just how fussy people are. I thought I was fussy, but really, I'm only fussy about the quality of the fruit. I've made one - count it, one - non-fruit-based ice cream at home in my life. Maybe that's where the fussiness has to come in. Our peach (nectarine, plum, whatever) ice cream has had, over the years, milk, half-and-half, full cream, eggs, no eggs. It's all been wonderful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I make the French Vanilla ice cream from How To Cook Everything pretty frequently and I will testify that it's an excellent recipe. I stole a page from the recipe in The Cake Bible and always add two tablespoons of vodka to the mix, which keeps it from freezing too hard and making ice crystals. Often I'll add some "mix-ins", usually some sort of candy bar (the Symphony bar with almonds and toffee is awesome) and it always draws raves. Very rich and smooth with the perfect level of sweetness, and very creamy. I use half-and-half and whole cream. Made some this weekend as a "hostess gift" for a 4th of July party and it was a big hit. (I also made the Lemon Tart with Pine Nut Crust from the Bouchon cookbook... also very, very good)

As for me, I use a fairly inexpensive Cuisinart ice cream machine, the kind where you freeze the bucket thing, and it usually works great. The main concern is to make sure your custard is very cold before you put it in the machine, about 40 degrees F is ideal. I cool it off first in an ice bath then throw it in the fridge, preferably for at least an hour.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

all this talk of ice-cream both online & around the house, has reminded me of my childhood favorite: butter-brickle.

Anyone have a good recipe?

all this talk of ice-cream both online & around the house, has reminded me of my childhood favorite: butter-brickle.

*ears perk up*

butter-what?!

Describe this, please, my interest is piqued!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

butter-brickle=buttery ice cream with bits of toffee-like candy. I've no idea what specific candy qualifies as "brickle" (haven't had this in ages) but it's in the toffee family.

edited to add that "brickle" might be trying to sound like "brittle" as in "peanut brittle"

butter brickle was definatley not peanuty though.

Edited by Eden (log)

I asked if anybody has a tried & true butter almond or butter pecan recipe, or something similar... It looks like our taste buds are on the same track. :smile:

butter-brickle=buttery ice cream with bits of toffee-like candy.  I've no idea what specific candy qualifies as "brickle" (haven't had this in ages) but it's in the toffee family.

edited to add that "brickle" might be trying to sound like "brittle" as in "peanut brittle" 

butter brickle was definatley not peanuty though.

This was always my favorite ice cream of all. when I was growing up. Anyone have a recipe for it?