• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic Places in Paris

Carlsbad

The allée des Cygnes is nice, but I don't know about picnicking on the quai des Grands-Augustins (hello pollution) or the place des Vosges (hello, park guards making you get off the grass)...

I almost forgot my favorite secret spot - the gardens at the Hôpital Saint-Louis in the 10th (very near the Canal). They're closed on weekends, though.

I side with those who prefer green and lots of it. The nicest picnics we've had were at Vaux le Vicomte, high over the Seine en route to Giverny and in the forest of Fontainebleau.

PS I just cheated a bit, I realize, seeing the title. Oh well.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

What I would suggest has already been said, though I'd like to add that if the timing's right, there is a market street several blocks from Parc Monceau off of Avenue de Wagram (still?) with what used to be a very good Austrian (?) patisserie.

If you're defining Parisian picnics loosely for tourists, I'd like to add that many people take day trips to Chartres and are greeted by a McDonald's right by the train station. A few years ago, my friends and I found little on the short hike up to the cathedral and made do with a rather mediocre sandwich from a non-franchise. I'd advise gathering wonderful things from Paris instead to bring on the train and finding a quiet spot away from all your fellow tourists resting in the open space before the western portal of Notre Dame.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Bercy Park is a favorite greensward of ours. It runs from the Bercy sports complex to the urban renewal Bercy Village. It is literally uninhabited on weekdays, has acres of green lawn, waterways, a garden house. Absolute peace and quiet in the city. Access #24 bus, #14 metro.

eGullet member #80.

I second the votes for: Parc André-Citroën, Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, & bois de Vincennes.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 4 weeks later...

Today's Figaroscope’s “Dossier” was devoted to all things picnicky including where to go, what to take, where to find provisions and where to shop. It'll be on their website for four weeks but I'll summarize it in the Digest come next Monday or so.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I'd be interested in opinions on the best places are for a picnic in Paris.  Also, what would you eat, and where would you shop?

Its been two and a half years since Carlsbad asked the question but it's still very interesting to read what the locals, semi-locals and tourists say about picnicking in Paris.

I haven't been in a while but plan to go back next Spring. I spent a summer living downtown years ago and the picnics were very frequent. The worst place I recall was the parc at the Centre Georges Pompidou at Beaubourg. The best destination places (where an actual picnic blanket was used) were the grounds at Versailles and the Bois de Boulogne.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack