• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

your favorite brands/spirits

alphaiii

Alright, lets post our favorite spirits, and our top 3 picks of each, out of the ones we've tried. You can base you ranking however you like - taste alone, value, versatility...

Here's what I like to drink:

TEQUILA (I bet you all knew this)

1. Cabo Wabo Reposado

2. Chinaco Reposado

3. El Tesoro Reposado

VODKA

1. Pearl

2. Turi

3. Belvedere

BOURBON

1. Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Yr

2. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Yr

3. Buffalo Trace

GIN

1. Tanqueray No. Ten

2. Broker's

3. Bombay Original

I've tried alot of tequilas and vodkas, while I've only been into bourbon a short time, and I'm still pretty new to gin.

Rum:

1. Captain Morgan Private Reserve

2. Captain Morgan Parrot Bay

3. Bacardi

Vodka:

1. Grey Goose

2. Smirnoff

3. Stoli

Amaretto

1. DiSaranno - Ok, that's the only one I use so I can't rate any other brands

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

Rum:

1. Captain Morgan Private Reserve

2. Captain Morgan Parrot Bay

3. Bacardi

Vodka:

1. Grey Goose

2. Smirnoff

3. Stoli

Amaretto

1. DiSaranno - Ok, that's the only one I use so I can't rate any other brands

Very rarely do I drink rum anymore. But if I did get a thirst for it, I'd probably get one of these three, depending what kind of rum I wanted:

Ron Matusalem Gran Riserva

Foursquare Spiced Rum

Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Mango

Edited by alphaiii (log)

Rum

1) Havana Club 7 year old

2) Cruzan 12 year old

3) Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve

Scotch

1) Balvenie Double Wood

2) Glenmorangie 10 year old

3) Glenfiddich 15 year old Solera

Bourbon

1) Rip van winkle 12 year old Reserve

2) AJ Hirsch 16 year old

3) Old GrandDad 100

Vodka

1) Stolichnaya

2) Grey Goose

3) Ketel One

Gin

1) Citadelle

2) Bombay Sapphire

3) Tanqueray

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Rum

1. Prichard's

2. Pusser's Blue Label

3. Brugal Anejo

Bourbon

1. Evan Williams 1783

2. Wild Turkey Rare Breed

3. Heaven Hill Bottled-in-Bond

Gin

1. Gordon's

2. Gordon's

3. Gordon's. :) If I find a better gin at a better price I'll drink it.

Vodka

1. Skyy

2. Neutral grain spirits + water

3. There are three types of vodka? :P

Scotch

1. Sadly I am too poor to afford proper Scotch. :(

2. McClelland's Speyside (yay for 5-year-old Morrison-Bowmore! :P)

3. Johnnie Walker isn't bad. :)

Brandy

1. I am also too poor to afford proper brandy. :)

2. But Salignac isn't too bad.

3. Neither is Metaxa. :)

Tequila

1. I think I'll wait

2. Till the prices go down (hopefully?)

3. Now that the agave blight is mostly over

Bourbon

1. Evan Williams 1783

That Evan Williams is an incredible buy. That's my go to bourbon for mixing with ginger ale.

Tequila

1. I think I'll wait

2. Till the prices go down (hopefully?)

3. Now that the agave blight is mostly over

But with tequila selling so well, even at those high prices, I wouldn't count on prices going down much, if any. Some have recently gone up here in PA (Tesoro, Sauza). Although, I would be a happy happy man if tequila prices dropped some.

1. Evan Williams 1783

That Evan Williams is an incredible buy. That's my go to bourbon for mixing with ginger ale.

I think it's a by-product of Evan Williams single barrel manufacture. :) After all, predicting which barrels will be the nicest 10 years ahead of time is a very tricky thing to do. And after you've selected the choice barrels, you've still got quite a bit of very good 10 year old whiskey in need of using somehow. Or at least, that's my theory. :)

Better watch out with the ginger ale declarations, though. :P Some people might take it the same way as if you said Hennesssy was your go to brandy for mixing with coke. :P

Edited by mbanu (log)

Tequila

Don Julio Silver

Don Julio Anejo

Vodka

Pearl

Belevedere

Smirnoff Black

Rye (Canadian)

Canadian Club Classic

Crown Royal

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Better watch out with the ginger ale declarations, though. :P Some people might take it the same way as if you said Hennesssy was your go to brandy for mixing with coke. :P

Yeah, they may. But it's $10 bourbon. It's just as cheap as Evan Williams black label, which many use to mix.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

Yeah, they may. But it's $10 bourbon. It's just as cheap as Evan Williams black label, which many use to mix.

Well, true. I suppose it depends on one's view of mixing. If one would use 10 year old single malt scotch for mixing with lemon-lime soda and VSOP cognac for mixing with cola, because one felt that only the assertive flavors of aged spirits had any chance of shining through all that mixer, then it would be perfectly appropriate to use a 10 year old single malt bourbon that way. But if one were the sort who thought mixing older spirits robbed them of subtle flavors, and would cringe at the thought of doing anything of the sort to their cognac or scotch, it would seem a bit unusual to do the same with their bourbon, simply because they made out like a bandit pricewise. :)

Edited by mbanu (log)

Well, true. I suppose it depends on one's view of mixing. If one would use 10 year old single malt scotch for mixing with lemon-lime soda and VSOP cognac for mixing with cola, because one felt that only the assertive flavors of aged spirits had any chance of shining through all that mixer, then it would be perfectly appropriate to use a 10 year old single malt bourbon that way. But if one were the sort who thought mixing older spirits robbed them of subtle flavors, and would cringe at the thought of doing anything of the sort to their cognac or scotch, it would seem a bit unusual to do the same with their bourbon, simply because they made out like a bandit pricewise. :)

Well here's how I look at it. There are other bourbons I would rather, and do, drink straight or on the rocks, all of which are fairly inexpensive (although not $10). So, if I'm going to buy a bottle of bourbon to mix with, why buy something that isn't as good as the 1783, but is still the same price?

It may seem like a waste of good bourbon to others, and that's fine. But why pay the same price for an inferior bourbon just so others can feel better about the fact that I'm not using a 10 year old to mix with?

Well here's how I look at it.  There are other bourbons I would rather, and do, drink straight or on the rocks, all of which are fairly inexpensive (although not $10).  So, if I'm going to buy a bottle of bourbon to mix with, why buy something that isn't as good as the 1783, but is still the same price? 

It may seem like a waste of good bourbon to others, and that's fine.  But why pay the same price for an inferior bourbon just so others can feel better about the fact that I'm not using a 10 year old to mix with?

This is valid logic to me. If the price is the same then choose that which tastes the best either straight or mixed. Seems like a no-brainer.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd update the list.

VODKA

1. Pearl

2. Kutskova

3. Turi

The Kutskova is very smooth, and a great value (at least where I live). It's more neutral than Pearl or Turi, but sometimes the less "flavorful" vodka is a nice change. I like the higher viscosity of Kutskova over Turi. I still have yet to try a vodka that I think makes a better martini than Pearl.

TEQUILA

1. El Tesoro Platinum (I'm really liking this unaged tequila - great texture and taste)

2. Cabo Wabo Reposado

3. El Tesoro Reposado

The more I drink the Chinaco Reposado the less I like it. It seems too dry or something. It doesn't have the nice texture and smoothness of El Tesoro tequilas, or the sweetness to accompany the pepper like Cabo has. Another tequila I've that has been growing on me is Don Julio Reposado. On the other hand, Corazon reposado, like Chinaco reposado, is becoming less and less enjoyable to me.

BOURBON

2. Elijah Craig 12 Yr

3. Evan Williams Single Barrel

Van Winkle Family Reserve and Buffalo Trace are still near the top, but value wise, Elijah 12 and Evan SB are hard to beat. Eagle Rare is still my favorite though, for taste and value. Its so nice to find quality bourbons I like all under $17 (considering the sales).

GIN

1. Bombay Original

2. Broker's

3. Beefeater

Tanq. Ten still my favorite straight up, but in a Gin & Tonic, I am growing more fond of the more assertive juniper flavor. Ten is just a little covered up, and it seems like a waste of money to drown it in tonic. On the other hand, traditional Tanqueray still does not taste good to me. For some reason, I just don't like it. I bumped the Bombay over the Broker's because it seems a little less bitter to me. Both are good though, and it really comes down to a matter of cost.

I have managed to find multiple types and brands I really enjoy all under $20 (excluding tequila, which is expensive, not way to get around it). Who says all the good stuff has to cost alot?

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic!

Whiskey's

-Bourbon

Makers Mark

-Rye

Jim Beam

Old Overholt

-Irish

Jamesons

-Scotch Whisky

Laphroaig

Rum

Bacardi Rum 8 Anos Reserva Superior

Appleton Estate Rum

Old Monk

i am not a big fan of flavored rums but of the ones that i have tried I like Cruzan over the others. still use a lot of Myers's, Whalers, and Mt. Gay for my well. :) Love me some rum!

Tequilla

Cabo Wabo

Don Julio

Padron

Gin

Bombay Saphire

vodka

Shakers

(Not a big drinker of the clear distillates these days.)

Vodka

Wyborowa Single Estate

42 Below

and absolutely NOT Absolut

Gin

Hendricks

Brokers

Citadelle

Rye

Old Overholt

Bourbon

Bookers

Basil Hayden

Blantons

mmmmmm thats a lot of B's

Scotch

Bruichladdich 1970

Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve

The Macallan 1980

Rum

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve

Cruzan 12 year old

Tequila

Penca Azul

Herencia de Plata Anejo

Padron

Liqueur

Glenfiddich Malt Whiskey Liqueur

Bourbon

Van Winkle Special Reserve (When a man needs that special Bourbon)

George Dickel (Best every day whiskey)

Old Crow (For cooking with Bourbon and mixed drinks a good value)

(If you can't tell, bourbon is my drink of choice)

Rye

Old Overholt (good value)

Scotch

Johny Walker

Ballantine

j & B

Vodka

Chopin (my better halves choice)

Seagrams (I use for cooking and mixed drinks)

Gin

Bombay Sapphire (head and shoulders above the rest)

Beefeaters

Tanqueray

Rum

Appleton Estate (I've never been a rum fan till friends brought us a bottle. Absolutely delicious)

Myers (for cooking)

Liquer

Romano Black Sambuca

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I figured I'd update the list.

VODKA

1. Pearl

2. Kutskova

3. Turi

The Kutskova is very smooth, and a great value (at least where I live).  It's more neutral than Pearl or Turi, but sometimes the less "flavorful" vodka is a nice change.  I like the higher viscosity of Kutskova over Turi.  I still have yet to try a vodka that I think makes a better martini than Pearl. 

TEQUILA

1. El Tesoro Platinum (I'm really liking this unaged tequila - great texture and taste)

2. Cabo Wabo Reposado

3. El Tesoro Reposado

The more I drink the Chinaco Reposado the less I like it.  It seems too dry or something.  It doesn't have the nice texture and smoothness of El Tesoro tequilas, or the sweetness to accompany the pepper like Cabo has.  Another tequila I've that has been growing on me is Don Julio Reposado.  On the other hand, Corazon reposado, like Chinaco reposado, is becoming less and less enjoyable to me. 

BOURBON

2. Elijah Craig 12 Yr

3. Evan Williams Single Barrel

Van Winkle Family Reserve and Buffalo Trace are still near the top, but value wise, Elijah 12 and Evan SB are hard to beat.  Eagle Rare is still my favorite though, for taste and value.  Its so nice to find quality bourbons I like all under $17 (considering the sales). 

GIN

1. Bombay Original

2. Broker's

3. Beefeater

Tanq. Ten still my favorite straight up, but in a Gin & Tonic, I am growing more fond of the more assertive juniper flavor.  Ten is just a little covered up, and it seems like a waste of money to drown it in tonic.  On the other hand, traditional Tanqueray still does not taste good to me.  For some reason, I just don't like it.  I bumped the Bombay over the Broker's because it seems a little less bitter to me.  Both are good though, and it really comes down to a matter of cost. 

I have managed to find multiple types and brands I really enjoy all under $20 (excluding tequila, which is expensive, not way to get around it).  Who says all the good stuff has to cost alot?

i forgot to include my favorite rum :rolleyes: Cruzan Single Barrel

:blink::blink:

What better way to introduce myself than to list my favorite spirits.

Whisky

Crown Royal Special Reserve

Forty Creek Barrel Select

Jameson 12 Year Old

Scotch

Macallans 12 Year

Johnnie Walker Gold

Rum

Havana Club 7 Year

Screech

Gin

Plymouth

Tequila

Patron

Vodka

No Preference

Current Infatuation: Navan

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

• 2 weeks later...

Scotch

Glemorangie 10 yo

Macallan 10 yo (beats the 12 yo hands down... good smoky finish)

Balvenie Double wood

Bourbon

Woodford Reserve

Knob Creek

Makers Mark

Vodka

Turi

Monopolowa (can't beat it for price 9.99 at Trader Joes)

Tequila

Don Julio Anejo

Don Julio Silver

Vodka

1. Ketel One

2. Iceberg

3. Hangar One

Bourbon

1. Booker's

2. Baker's

3. Maker's :-)

Tequila

1. Don Julio Silver

2. Sauza Hornitos

Scotch

1. Oban

2. Talisker

3. Glenfiddich

Gin

1. Citadel

2. Bombay Sapphire

3. Tang Ten

Rum

1. Goslings Black Seal (and that's it)

• 1 month later...

Scotch

1. Lagavulin 16

2. Highland Park 18

3. Laphroaig 10

4. Talisker 10

5. Laphroag 30--I picked up a couple of these last year at an incredible price. Sadly, both bottles are gone and I'll never see that price again. I could drink this one exclusively, forever.

Bourbon

1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

2. Pappy Van Winkle 20 year-old

3. George T. Stagg

Rum

1 Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos--I rarely drink rum, so when the mood strikes, it always this one. A friend brought me a bottle a few months ago and I was sold.

I may have some unpopular choices here, but...

Rum:

1. Pyrat XO

2. Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Pyrat simply stands head and shoulders above any other rum I've tried, and the Sailor Jerry is pretty much my go-to liquor if I'm not drinking bourbon, I love that stuff.

Bourbon:

1. Blanton's

2. Evan Willam 10 yr SB

3. Knob Creek

the Blanton's is an expensive treat and not something I can afford to drink regularly, but it's beautiful stuff. I'm still expanding my tastes for bourbon - availability isn't as good as I wish it were down here, so I'm forced to do a bit of hunting for some stuff.

Vodka:

1. Belvedere

2. Ciroc

3. Tito's

Not a huge vodka fan in general, but on the rare occasions I drink it, I'll go for these. Tito's in particular is a good deal if you can get it - it's under $20 a liter without a discount.

Tequila:

1. Antigua Cruz Anejo

2. El Tesoro Platinum

Good tequilas again tend to be out of my price range, and to be honest it's not a liquor I've done much exploring of. Same goes for scotch and cognac - they simply aren't liquors I've drank enough of to really be able to appreciate them.

I may have some unpopular choices here, but...

Rum:

1. Pyrat XO

2. Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Pyrat simply stands head and shoulders above any other rum I've tried, and the Sailor Jerry is pretty much my go-to liquor if I'm not drinking bourbon, I love that stuff.

Bourbon:

1. Blanton's

2. Evan Willam 10 yr SB

3. Knob Creek

the Blanton's is an expensive treat and not something I can afford to drink regularly, but it's beautiful stuff.  I'm still expanding my tastes for bourbon - availability isn't as good as I wish it were down here, so I'm forced to do a bit of hunting for some stuff.

Vodka:

1. Belvedere

2. Ciroc

3. Tito's

Not a huge vodka fan in general, but on the rare occasions I drink it, I'll go for these.  Tito's in particular is a good deal if you can get it - it's under $20 a liter without a discount.

Tequila:

1. Antigua Cruz Anejo

2. El Tesoro Platinum

Good tequilas again tend to be out of my price range, and to be honest it's not a liquor I've done much exploring of.  Same goes for scotch and cognac - they simply aren't liquors I've drank enough of to really be able to appreciate them.

I think you have some good choices. I'm a fan of Belvedere and Tito's vodkas, and a big fan of El Tesoro Platinum. And while not my favorites, I think Knob Creek and Evan Williams Single Barrel are both quality bourbons. I keep eyeing up Sailor Jerry, but haven't bought it yet since I don't drink much rum. I don't have any in the cabinet now though so maybe I should pick up a bottle. I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it.

That reminds me, maybe I should update my list sometime, since I've tried quite a few new drinks lately.