• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

There's not a lot about food in these two documentaries but wine is certainly food-related so I figure I can mention them here.  Neither are new but I didn't find a previous mention of them in the movie threads here.  I just watched and enjoyed the wine documentaries "Somm" (2012) and "Somm: Into the Bottle" (2015), both are currently $0.99 rentals on Amazon and iTunes in the US.

"Somm" follows four young sommeliers as they study for and take the notoriously difficult Master Sommelier exam.  There's a bit of a reality-TV aspect to it but I found it interesting to see the process and the depth and breadth of wine minutiae the candidates are expected to learn.  I watched this one when it first came out and re-watched it again before watching "Somm:  Into the Bottle" but it's not necessary to watch them in any order.

The later film is my favorite of these two.  It consists of 10 chapters, each of which uses a single bottle of wine as an avenue to explore an aspect of wine making or wine culture.  Several of the characters from "Somm" appear here, generally as talking heads adding commentary to one of the stories. This one has its focus on the wine and winemakers rather than the sommeliers.  Several of the chapters are worthy of a full-length documentary of their own, others not so much.   It would be fun to plan a viewing party around "Somm:  Into the Bottle," serving a relevant wine (not likely the very rare and extremely expensive :shock: vintages featured) to sip during the chapters and pausing for tasting discussion between the chapters. 

Edited to add:  detailed review and chapter breakdown of "Somm:  Into the Bottle" over at this link on Wine Folly

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

There's not a lot about food in these two documentaries but wine is certainly food-related so I figure I can mention them here.  Neither are new but I didn't find a previous mention of them in the movie threads here.  I just watched and enjoyed the wine documentaries "Somm" (2012) and "Somm: Into the Bottle" (2015), both are currently $0.99 rentals on Amazon and iTunes in the US.

"Somm" follows four young sommeliers as they study for and take the notoriously difficult Master Sommelier exam.  There's a bit of a reality-TV aspect to it but I found it interesting to see the process and the depth and breadth of wine minutiae the candidates are expected to learn.  I watched this one when it first came out and re-watched it again before watching "Somm:  Into the Bottle" but it's not necessary to watch them in any order.

The later film is my favorite of these two.  It consists of 10 chapters, each of which uses a single bottle of wine as an avenue to explore an aspect of wine making or wine culture.  Several of the characters from "Somm" appear here, generally as talking heads adding commentary to one of the stories. This one has its focus on the wine and winemakers rather than the sommeliers.  Several of the chapters are worthy of a full-length documentary of their own, others not so much.   It would be fun to plan a viewing party around "Somm:  Into the Bottle," serving a relevant wine (not likely the very rare and extremely expensive :shock: vintages featured) to sip during the chapters and pausing for tasting discussion between the chapters.