• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southerners on Road Trip-

maf

Mom, dad, and daughters 12 and 7 will be road-tripping from Crescent City down 101 and 1 through the Bay Area to Big Basin, over to Yosemite and Sequoia (we like big trees), to Red Rock Canyon and then East. Any suggestions for avoiding chain food along the way will be appreciated. The kids are reasonably well-mannered and will eat most anything, so ethnic foods would be welcome (where we’re from, a fish taco is exotic). Anything requiring a coat and tie is out; this is vacation and we’re not packing that stuff. I particularly enjoy the iconic places that have been around forever, have some signature food, and are showing their age a little (a/k/a dives). I know it’s a broad request (and a big State), but we’ll be driving lots of miles, and I’d rather not try to post this city-by-city.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Mom, dad, and daughters 12 and 7 will be road-tripping from Crescent City down 101 and 1 through the Bay Area to Big Basin, over to Yosemite and Sequoia (we like big trees), to Red Rock Canyon and then East. Any suggestions for avoiding chain food along the way will be appreciated. The kids are reasonably well-mannered and will eat most anything, so ethnic foods would be welcome (where we’re from, a fish taco is exotic). Anything requiring a coat and tie is out; this is vacation and we’re not packing that stuff. I particularly enjoy the iconic places that have been around forever, have some signature food, and are showing their age a little (a/k/a dives). I know it’s a broad request (and a big State), but we’ll be driving lots of miles, and I’d rather not try to post this city-by-city.

maf,

I'm sorry, but part of the deal in us Californians helping you all out with your vacation plans is that we get to vacation vicariously with you all, complete with photos of every meal, every food stop, etc. :wink::wink::laugh::laugh:

First, here's a link to a discussion thread that'll help you get started:

California diners, recs for that long road trip

Looking at your itinerary, You are driving all over the place! :blink:

Am I correct to say that you'll be flying in to Crescent City to start your vacation?

I hope you scheduled plenty of time to get to all of your destinations.

From Crescent City, drive about 3 hours to the Eureka area for lunch/dinner (your main meal) at the Samoa Cookhouse. It's great! This is where the lumberjacks used to eat back during the old days of the lumber mills. For one price, you get soup, salad, homemade bread, 1-2 entrees, vegetables, coffee/tea, dessert, and SECONDS! In the restaurant is a mini museum that the kids will love.

Question: when you said "Red Rock Canyon and then East," what do you mean by "East"? Driving into Nevada? Eastern Sierras? the Mojave Desert??

Depending on when your vacation begins, there are various food festivals going on, particularly along the 101, especially the Garlic Festival in Gilroy.

maf, with all due respect, there is one food chain I must mention: In-N-Out Burgers. BTW, there is no Cracker Barrel Restaurants in California or Nevada at this time.

You are correct: California is a BIG state!! If you can specify the cities/towns or at least the region you all be driving through, that would really help us help you.

Enjoy your California vacation!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

...Any suggestions for avoiding chain food along the way will be appreciated...

maf--have a great trip~!

you can be prepared for genuine places--for the best regional fare--if you check out Jane & Michael Stern's Roadfood.com...

they have a gazillion places in roadside America.

as much as i love the Sterns, however, eGullet is still the best food info/resource on the net. :smile:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

For the part of your trip that goes thru Mendocino, Sonoma and points south (before you turn east) there is already a lot of information in the CA forum. Have you checked that out yet?

Unfortunately, I don't have specific recs for the second half of your trip... (i.e. once you turn East...)

Sounds like a great family trip!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the great suggestions, including In-N-Out, which now that you mention it I have heard of. Too bad about Cracker Barrel; I think they’re pretty good, especially for breakfast.

To be more specific about our trip, it begins in Savannah, GA. It’ll be mom + 2 until Billings, where dad flies in. The next two weeks pass through Yellowstone, Idaho (Craters of the Moon), Boise, Eastern Oregon up to Penedleton, West through Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Salem, Eugene, Crater Lake, and Crescent City. That’s where the California part picks up. The plan is to follow US 101 South (the Eureka stop will be timely), with detours at Redwood National Park and around Miranda for what I understand are some big trees. We’ll stay on 101 until Leggett, forking right on Cal. 1 until San Francisco. One day there, then Big Basin (more trees), Gilroy, Merced, Mariposa and Yosemite (that’s right, trees). From there it’s South to (you guessed it) Sequioa, then further South to Red Rock Canyon (never seen a Joshua Tree, but I hear they’ve got ‘em). We pick up I-10 in Mojave and head for the Grand Canyon with a small detour on part of old Route 66. Then it’s South through Phoenix to Tucson (cacti are kinda like trees), where dad flies back. The remainder of the trip passes through Carlsbad Caverns, El Paso, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Tallahassee, and back to Savannah.

Billings to Tucson happens in two weeks, so there will obviously be much time in the car (making meals an important diversion). I know you can argue that at this pace we’ll get nothing but a superficial glance at places meriting deeper exploration, but for this trip that’s the concept we’re following. I could happily spend the whole time any one of the parks, but then the kids might never see all the other places. If we get behind or (less likely) ahead, we’ll have to adjust the route accordingly.

So there’s much more than you wanted to know, but you were nice, or foolish, enough to ask.

Gus_tatory, I’m a fan of the Roadfood website (my kind of places), but I agree that the interaction you get on eGullett can’t be beat. ludja, I have looked through some of the other posts, and will be looking at more, but many times it’s hard to match a topic title to geography when you’re so far from home.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

What a fabulous trip!

On Hwy 1, right on Tomales Bay (it's on pilings), is a little funky place called the Marshall Store. They have a little deck right on the water and fabulous oysters, grown right in the bay (bbq-the best, rockafeller, or raw), as well as a few other things, like clam chowder. Since it's a store the kids could just grab chips and a soda (or whatever) if they don't want an oyster snack. Tomales Bay oysters are grown sexless-they don't spawn, so the old "r" rule doesn't apply. If the whole family likes oysters you can have a different kind of experience, a little further north on Tomales Bay on Hwy 1, at Hog Island Oyster Co.-you buy a sack, then shuck and grill your own on their grills along the bay.

Just 20 minutes or so south in Point Reyes Station (right as hwy 1 bends left to turn into the town's main street, stay straight-it's just about 20 yards up on the right) is the Pine Cone Diner. It's my all time favorite diner-it's definitely a diner, but one that uses local free range eggs and pasture raised beef. Fabulous breakfasts, great lunches and milkshakes. If you just need a snack or picnic supplies as you pass through town right across the street from the diner is Tomales Bay foods, a groups of excellent food purveyors-cheeses, produce, deli, desserts, snacks.

Off topic for California, but if you haven't discovered this in the Oregon forum yet, you've got to check out Burgerville--Where You Go When You Know! There was an article on the Burgerville chain in a recent issue of Slow Food magazine. (And of course, being from the PacNW, I can tell you, there's nothin' makes kids and dads happier than a blackberry shake!)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

ludja, I have looked through some of the other posts, and will be looking at more, but many times it’s hard to match a topic title to geography when you’re so far from home.

Good point--- here's a link to a recent post of mine for casual and good places on Hwy 1 inbetween SF and Santa Cruz (i.e. you should be driving here a little before you get to Big Basin): link

( Tres Amigos is just south of the junction with Hwy 92). Please ask if you have any questions about either. They both have great food.

edited to add: there are also many very beautiful beaches with easy access located between Hwy 92 and Big Basin on Hwy 1. It's fun for kids (and adults!) to go tidepooling, searching for creatures and shells in between the rocks.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

These are all great suggestions, and I'm looking forward to more. Blackberry milkshake sounds fantastic, as does Pine Cone Diner. I am also looking forward to West Coast oysters, and oyster roasts are a great communal meal. I notice you didn't mention fried oysters; don't you do that out West? ludja, Tres Amigos sounds great- just the kind of food we can't get at home. Speaking of different from home, I gotta say rocks on the beach is a foreign conecpt, and your suggestion for a little tidepool cruising seems like a good idea. Thanks, everyone, I'm getting really excited about this trip.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Thanks for the great suggestions, including In-N-Out, which now that you mention it I have heard of. Too bad about Cracker Barrel; I think they’re pretty good, especially for breakfast.

To be more specific about our trip, it begins in Savannah, GA. It’ll be mom + 2 until Billings, where dad flies in. The next two weeks pass through Yellowstone, Idaho (Craters of the Moon), Boise, Eastern Oregon up to Penedleton, West through Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Salem, Eugene, Crater Lake, and Crescent City. That’s where the California part picks up. The plan is to follow US 101 South (the Eureka stop will be timely), with detours at Redwood National Park and around Miranda for what I understand are some big trees. We’ll stay on 101 until Leggett, forking right on Cal. 1 until San Francisco. One day there, then Big Basin (more trees), Gilroy, Merced, Mariposa and Yosemite (that’s right, trees). From there it’s South to (you guessed it) Sequioa, then further South to Red Rock Canyon (never seen a Joshua Tree, but I hear they’ve got ‘em). We pick up I-10 in Mojave and head for the Grand Canyon with a small detour on part of old Route 66. Then it’s South through Phoenix to Tucson (cacti are kinda like trees), where dad flies back. The remainder of the trip passes through Carlsbad Caverns, El Paso, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Tallahassee, and back to Savannah.

Billings to Tucson happens in two weeks, so there will obviously be much time in the car (making meals an important diversion). I know you can argue that at this pace we’ll get nothing but a superficial glance at places meriting deeper exploration, but for this trip that’s the concept we’re following. I could happily spend the whole time any one of the parks, but then the kids might never see all the other places. If we get behind or (less likely) ahead, we’ll have to adjust the route accordingly.

So there’s much more than you wanted to know, but you were nice, or foolish, enough to ask.

Gus_tatory, I’m a fan of the Roadfood website (my kind of places), but I agree that the interaction you get on eGullett can’t be beat. ludja, I have looked through some of the other posts, and will be looking at more, but many times it’s hard to match a topic title to geography when you’re so far from home.

You pick up 40 in Mojave and head east in order to see the old 66. 10 is a lot further south. Stop in Amboy and see the Crater on old route 66. 10 is way to far south for where your goin. 40 to Flagstaff then south to Phoenix.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Mmm...you see pan-fried oysters where I live (Seattle) occasionally, but frying is kind of a mean thing to do to an oyster. I've never had the same kind of bbq oyster that they do in NoCal anywhere else (don't be afraid of oyster bbq sauce, btw), so definitely try those. If you are lucky enough to be in SF when they are having the farmer's market at Ferry Plaza, try the oysters at the Hog Island booth.

If you are lucky enough to be in SF when they are having the farmer's market at Ferry Plaza, try the oysters at the Hog Island booth.

Besides the booth on Saturday Farmer's Market, there is a permanent restaurant inside where you can also get their oysters.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I leave bright and early Saturday morning and have adjusted our routes to take advantage of your advice.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe