• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southerners on Road Trip

Mom, dad, and daughters 12 and 7 will be road-tripping from Yellowstone through Boise, up I-84 to the Columbia River Gorge through Portland, down I-5 through Salem and Eugene over to Crater Lake, then across to Crescent City (and down to San Francisco, if this forum’s territory extends in that direction). Any suggestions for interesting (i.e, not chain) food will be appreciated. The kids are reasonably well-mannered and will eat most anything, so ethnic foods would be welcome. Anything requiring a coat and tie is out; this is vacation and we’re not packing that stuff. I particularly enjoy the iconic places that have been around forever, have some signature food, and are showing their age a little (a/k/a dives). What about Huber’s in Portland, not from the standpoint of a jaded local but for someone who wants to see what’s unique about the Pacific Northwest (but not to the point of eating microwaved food that happens to be served in an old building- we can do that at home). I know it’s a broad request, but we’ll be driving lots of miles, and I’d rather not try to post this city-by-city.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I made that trip in reverse last summer. Found some pretty good food along the way. Especially in Walla Walla which, it turns out, has an excellent Thai restaurant. Don't know if your route takes you through there, though. If it does, I'll see if I can find where I wrote down the name of that restaurant.

Terrific tom kai gai and green curry.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

duplicate

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

If you want to get the kids a burger when you are in Oregon, try Burgerville. They are better than average, especially their shakes.

Questions about the Bay Area should be sought in the California forum.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Jaymes, we'll pass West of Walla Walla (although it's tempting to go just for the cool name). Burgerville looks good; I had heard that the Portland area is big on burgers.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

If you are hanging out in Portland for more than just a pass through, I found with my one weekend in Portland, so many good places to eat. I particularly liked Henry's, which had a huge menu and a lot of variety, and everyone in my party, there were eight of us, got something different and it was all good. i think it's near Powell's Books, which is another "must visit."

Edited by elswinger (log)

In the Columbia Gorge take the scenic route and stop by at the Multnomah Falls Lodge, especially for breakfast. Trout and Eggs! The trout is usually fresh and caught nearby. Farther down the road when you get to the northern Willamette Valley which is beautiful, strike out for Hwy 99 and Hwy 18 and between Sheridan and McMinnville is the Fresh Palate Cafe, only open for lunch but worth scheduling for, great food and amazing desserts. It's in the middle of nowhere and shares a building with an excellent tasting room and the Lawrence Art Gallery. In Amity there is the Amity Fare Cafe which has some really good diner fare and will do take out. If you have time definitely get off I-5 and parallel it through as much wine country as you can, many wineries will be open to the public and the scenery is great. A year ago I wrote up a Trip Report with a few places. Continuing down I-5 when you get to Redding go to In-n-Out, it's the first one you'll encounter and you can have a little comparison for yourself with Burgerville if you stop there also. Greatest fast food greaseburger ever! All of the places here and in my trip report are casual or no dressier than polo shirt or shirt but no tie. Have fun! Hope you post a report when you're done.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Hmmm, depending on how you do that Eugene/Crater Lake/Crescent City jog, you might bypass the stretch of I-5 going through Azalea OR, but if you do happen to go through Azalea, I strenuously recommend the Heaven on Earth Cafe. They have the most amazing cinnamon rolls I've ever seen--they make those Cinnabon things look like puny little morsels in comparison--and the rest of their home-cooking/diner-style grub is damn fine too.

Here's a couple of pics of those cinnamon rolls to further tempt you: clickie here

Our best trips(kids now 12 & 14) involve heading west From Portland to astoria-Lindstrom's Danish Maid Bakery & Lewis and Clark territory- http://www.oldoregon.com

then down to Tillamook and the cheese factory tour.

From there, onwards to Newport and the Oregon Aquarium,

http://www.aquarium.org/

Rogue Brewery , bayfront etc. great time for kids. We usually stay in yachats, a tiny town south of waldport with cabins on the water,

http://www.yachats.org

then on to sea Lion Caves and to the Oregon Dunes at Florence.

At Florence,turn East on 126 back to Eugene. This is a whole lot more fun than

the farmland and traffic you'll find on I-5 between Portland and eugene.

Pick up 5 and head south. you can either take 138 to Crater Lake, scenic but long, or head further south to the rogue valley, and do a day trip to Crater Lake( my Preference). you can raft the rogue, see a play, mountain bike down Mt. Ashland, and eat well besides.

When you head over 199 to the Redwoods, Taylor's sausages has a stand in Cave Junction. Really Tasty. you'l be be right by the treehouse institute and the Oregon Caves too..

http://www.treehouses.com/treehouse/treesort/brochure0.html

here's some added threads:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3864

Ifyou go the Willamette valley way,

Novak's in Albany is worth a stop http://www.novakshungarianrestaurant.com/menu.php

I'll edit in some more places, but thought I better get this posted so you see it.

Edited by bbqboy (log)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I leave bright and early Saturday morning and have made some changes to our routes to take advantage of the great advice, adding some travel on the coast to catch the cheese factory but heading back East in time to eat hungarian food. I wouldn't have associated Oregon with burgers and cinnamon rolls, but I'm sure there's much about the State I don't know. Having a clue where to eat improves travel dramatically, and I appreciate everyone's time.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Maf, If you're looking for heaven on earth, you need the quines creek exit-86, a little bit south of Azelea. I noticed in the Ca. forum that you are intent on hitting National Parks, especially Redwood. In my opinion Jedadiah Smith State Park right at the Ca/Or. border is a very worthwhile stop. Same trees, less people. Also, county and state parks all through Oregon and California are pleasant stops with scenery the equal or better than

the more known places, but more locals and less crowds. Don't be afraid to explore.

Crater Lake visitors center is undergoing major renovation, so be prepared. It's at 9000 feet with nothing near, so take a picnic or snacks. For this reason(it really IS the middle of nowhere),

Most folks enjoy staying in the Rogue Valley, enjoying Ashland/Litiha Park, Jacksonville, and the river and Grant's Pass, and doing a day tour of the Lake. Consider it. you'd enjoy it.

http://www.ashlandchamber.com

http://www.oregonrafting.net/cat_index_39.html

http://www.hellgate.com/Page.asp?NavID=67

Edited by bbqboy (log)

If you're hungry while passing through Boise on I-84, this will be a bit out of your way--but there's no better burger than what you'll find at the Westside Drive-In on State Street. Also try the frozen baked potato. (It's a sundae, not a side dish, and truly excellent.)

A year ago I would have recommended the College Drive-In, just across the street from the university and closer to the Interstate--but, sadly, it closed down earlier this summer. I felt like I'd lost one of my arms when I heard the news from my sister. People waited in a three-hour line for one last banana-chocolate milkshake and Bronco Burger!