• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food questions for those living in Japan

prasantrin

Thanks! I'll need to wait until I have need for more baking stuff before I place another order. It's amazing how much prices differ between Tomizawa and Kikuya--some things are much cheaper at Tomizawa (dried cranberries--Y197/100g there vs. Y630/250g at Kikuya) but other are much cheaper at Kikuya (frozen cranberries--Y397/250g at Kikuya vs Y336/100g! at Tomizawa).

Hopefully I'll find some around here. I vaguely remember seeing some at Tokyu Hands, and maybe the Hankyu depachika, but it could just be my imagination (like the quinoa was).

• 4 weeks later...

Where'd everyone go?

Another question, has anyone tried to buy foie gras in Japan?

I found some on chefpride.co.jp, and am thinking of trying some. I've never cooked with the stuff, though, so I'd rather try to get a smaller quantity for my first try. Any suggestions?

Sorry! I was tromping around Gifu-ken for a couple days!!

I have never bought foie gras here so can't help with that, but as to the barley....

The stuff sold here is almost entirely oshi-mugi (pressed barley, it is smashed flat and it meant to be cooked up with rice. I have never used it for anything besides that. I am assuming it wouldn't have quite the same 'bite' as pearl barley since it has been smashed.

This person used it for a risotto(scroll down to pearl barley risotto).

Barley is one of the foods I pick up in the US every summer..

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I hope you write about Gifu, too! I'm planning to go there in March (Shirakawago and Takayama).

Thanks for the info about the barley. I actually bought some in Canada last summer, but I accidentally left it behind. :sad:

I guess I'll just add the barley to my rice, and make fake risotto!

• 2 weeks later...