• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food questions for those living in Japan

prasantrin

At Costco the other day, I noticed they had frozen (from Thailand) soft shell crabs. There were 18 (I think) for about 2500yen (I think), I wonder if this is a new regular product. Back in May I found them in the chilled case, fresh.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

if anyone is looking for something specific in kansai, especially osaka, pm me because i've most likely been looking for it my self at some point.

on that note I can't seem to find:

real bacon, smoked paprika, kosher salt

if anyone is looking for something specific in kansai, especially osaka, pm me because i've most likely been looking for it my self at some point.

on that note I can't seem to find:

real bacon, smoked paprika, kosher salt

Real bacon? you mean not the supermarket stuff? Have you tried any sausage (especially German style) shops. It is not cheap but it sure is good.

At one point about 2 years ago Costco was selling Morton's kosher salt, I keep hoping they bring it back... I picked up 2 3lb boxes this summer.

Smoked paprika I also picked up in the US both sweet and hot varieties. Penzey's does ship to Japan but it is really expensive.

I did find some "dry-cure" bacon in among the tiny packs of specialty hams and deli meats - not with the other hams. Expensive but good...

ive seen this before too, but in very small quantities. If I had some liquid smoke I could cure my own bacon and be a happy camper, but I haven't been able to find that either. I used to make my own bacon back in the states in my converted fridge smoker but somehow I think plumes of smoke coming from my small Japanese balcony would be cause for alarm in the neighborhood.

all the bacon here seems to be ham. It is cooked, or pasturized, to a high temperature and it totally changes the texture and flavor. It all also seems to be perfectly rectangular and very thin.

Does anyone know of a Japanese site on the internet selling spanish goods (paprika, jamon, olive oil, dry cured sausages) on the internet?

I did find some "dry-cure" bacon in among the tiny packs of specialty hams and deli meats - not with the other hams. Expensive but good...

ive seen this before too, but in very small quantities. If I had some liquid smoke I could cure my own bacon and be a happy camper, but I haven't been able to find that either. I used to make my own bacon back in the states in my converted fridge smoker but somehow I think plumes of smoke coming from my small Japanese balcony would be cause for alarm in the neighborhood.

all the bacon here seems to be ham. It is cooked, or pasturized, to a high temperature and it totally changes the texture and flavor. It all also seems to be perfectly rectangular and very thin.

Does anyone know of a Japanese site on the internet selling spanish goods (paprika, jamon, olive oil, dry cured sausages) on the internet?

They do sell liquid smoke here, I have a bottle in my refrigerator and just used it this past weekend in a BBQ sauce... I think I bought it at Seijo Ishii (Kanto area only?)

For Spanish jamon, dry cured sausages, etc take a look here, isn't cheap though.

Makes me wonder if my local Seijo Ishii doesn't get the full range of imports. I've always had to stock with bottles hauled back from visits to my folks in the states because I couldn't find a local source (bar the occasional bottle via folks with PX privileges at US bases in the area).

Btw, if anyone ever locates a Tokyo-area source for Hawaiian alaea rock salt, please shout out.

Laulau just doesn't taste quite right with the available substitutes :sad: .

• 2 weeks later...
Very late coming in here, but fresh chives are sometimes available at Ikari supermarkets, and dried chives can be found at the foreign food store in Hankyu Umeda station--I think it's called Seijosomething, but I can never remember the name.

Seijo Ishii?

The Seijo Ishii here by my house in Yokohama always has chives...

Seijo Ishii?

Yes! That's it! I'm so used to calling it "the foreign food store at Umeda" that I forget what it's really called.

Does your Seijo Ishii have fresh chives? I've never noticed them at mine, but I don't usually look at the produce section there (way too expensive!). They do have a lot of dried herbs and spices that you can't find at other places, and they're a little more reasonably priced.

They also have a great selection of snack foods!

Seijo Ishii?

Yes! That's it! I'm so used to calling it "the foreign food store at Umeda" that I forget what it's really called.

Does your Seijo Ishii have fresh chives? I've never noticed them at mine, but I don't usually look at the produce section there (way too expensive!). They do have a lot of dried herbs and spices that you can't find at other places, and they're a little more reasonably priced.

They also have a great selection of snack foods!

I was just at Seijo Ishii yesterday, yes chives are a regular staple in their fresh herb section. They have pretty much any fresh herb you are looking for and all the time. Most of their produce is very expensive but yesterday they had gorgeous zucchini at 2 for 198yen and they were large! About three times the normal zucchini you find here.

I really like their kimchi....

• 2 weeks later...

I am posting this directly to the Japanese forum (instead of the cocktail one) in hopes of increasing my chance of getting an answer by increasing the audience.

I was wondering what the availability of the Hermes (Suntory) liquors were in Japan as a whole. It seems that there is a whole line of liquors under the Hermes name that seem impossible to find outside Japan. Mainly the violet, green tea, apricot, etc.

Is this something that you can walk into any store that sells liquor and pick up, or is it something that you need to search for, even in Japan?

Thanks,

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I am not an alcohol drinker either. I know that there is a huge range of flavored liquers at my local (large chain) but I haven't paid attention to the brands..

I will take a look as well at my local supermarkets and liquor stors.

The best place to find these though might be the basement liquor sections of any major department store.

I am not an alcohol drinker either. I know that there is a huge range of flavored liquers at my local (large chain) but I haven't paid attention to the brands..

The best place to find these though might be the basement liquor sections of any major department store.

Kris, would you mind checking for availability of any type of green tea liqeur (not just Hermes brand)? Thanks a bunch.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Thanks everyone! That list of liquors makes me drool. If they are half as good as their bitters (which I have accquired through a painful process) they must be amazing.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Kris, would you mind checking for availability of any type of green tea liqeur (not just Hermes brand)? Thanks a bunch.

no problem! :biggrin: I won't be heading out to the liquor store/grocery store until Friday though, if you don't mind waiting a couple days. I am going on a Costco run today....

I went to one of the biggest sakaya (sake store) and found them!

gallery_16375_5_10419.jpg

This single shelf is devoted to Suntry's Hermes and other liqueurs.

Apricot and others:

gallery_16375_5_39871.jpg

Green tea and others:

gallery_16375_5_62463.jpg

Suntry's other brand:

gallery_16375_5_136383.jpg

I later learned from your foodblog that you actually wanted some of the Hermes brand liqueurs.

Well, I can send you some, if you are willing to pay the hefty shipping charges.

Just take a look:

http://www.ems-post.jp/index.php?lang=en&l...%A7%BB%E5%8B%95

Thanks for the pics, Hiroyuki. Now I need to strong-arm a visitor into bringing me a bottle of the green tea liqueur... :biggrin:

I wonder what the sakura flavor tastes like? (I'm not a drinker, but I sometimes use liqueurs for making desserts.)

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I went to one of the biggest sakaya (sake store) and found them!

That's amazing! Who knew it would be that easy to find in Japan? I might have to impose upon you as well to ship some bottles over as well. I wonder if it will be a problem to get it through customs though. They might also have to be sent as collectible bottles. :laugh:

I sent an inquiry to an online shopping site, and they gave me a reply a while ago, which says that the delivery of alcoholic drinks to the United States is restricted, and they are confiscated at customs.

Is this true?

Edit to add: I can't believe we posted at the same time, donbert, about the same subject: customs!

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)