• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimms and fruit cup gins...

LindyCat

A UK friend recently recommended the new Plymouth Fruit Cup as a refreshing summer drink. I've been a little puzzled about things like this and Pimms. I haven't really seen much on them, and haven't tried one yet. What are these things like and are they worth drinking? Any fans? Any warnings?

Hi LindyCat,

Pimm's #1 and Plymouth Fruit Cup are Gin blended with various secret spices, fruit juices, bitters, and extracts. They clock in around 25% alcohol. There used to be Pimm's numbers 1-6 with different base spirits. The only ones remaining in production are no. 1 (gin) and no. 6 (vodka).

The most common use of them is: Pimm's, ice, and soda (or some citrus based soft drink) served in a tall glass with various garnishes. Very refreshing, refined, beverage traditionally enjoyed while watching Wimbledon. Well, anyway, more refined than a can of Lager.

From what I've read recently, the most comparable mixed drink is the Straights Sling.

Here is a topic from earlier this year with recipes and links to previous topics.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=66644

edited for stupid grammar

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm a huge fan of Pimm's... It is a standard thing I serve at parties in the summertime, and lots of people love it.

I have no idea what it consists of, other than gin... and I don't really care all that much. All I know is that it makes a low effort bowl of punch at a party. My recipe is:

1 cup Pimms

1 cup Vodka (optional, depending on how heavy drinkers your guests are)

2 liters ginger ale

1 orange sliced into wheels

1 cucumber sliced into rounds

Add all to a big punch bowl with a giant lump of ice in the middle, put in the middle of a large lawn with a croquet course set up, and you can keep 20 people happy for an hour or two.

Have never run across the Plymouth fruit cup, so can't comment on it.

Try the Pimms... you'll like it.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I like Pimm's in the summer too. My favorite way to drink it is with the limonata from San Pelligrino or Reed's ginger beer. I've been thinking about making the homemade version for this summer, the recipe has been posted a couple of times.

regards,

trillium

Hi LindyCat,

Pimm's #1 and Plymouth Fruit Cup are Gin blended with various secret spices, fruit juices, bitters, and extracts.  They clock in around 25% alcohol.  There used to be Pimm's numbers 1-6 with different base spirits.  The only ones remaining in production are no. 1 (gin) and no. 6 (vodka).

The No.3 Cup has been re-launched as "Pimm's Winter Cup". Brandy based?

Winter Cup

Quite nice, but I prefer the No. 1.

The No.3 Cup has been re-launched as "Pimm's Winter Cup". Brandy based?

Winter Cup

Quite nice, but I prefer the No. 1.

Huh! Interesting. I sure hope that is a case price!

As far as I know, the only one of any of these beverages we can get in the US is the Pimm's No. 1.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I love Pimm's and I wish it weren't so hard to find on this side of the Atlantic! I think the best way to enjoy it is with sparkling lemonade, as already noted. Garnished with thin slices of cucumbers. Heaven!

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary