• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pan-Fried Chicken in the Va/DC/MD area

KOK

I'm looking for places that serve pan-fried chicken, preferably in P.G., Montgomery or northern counties, or Baltimore, but anywhere will do for the real McCoy.

I've had it many times at Crisfield's in Silver Spring, and I believe Florida Avenue Grill has it and maybe Flavors in Falls Church. But there must be (I hope) a bunch of places that serve it but I just haven't found out about them.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I'm looking for places that serve pan-fried chicken, preferably in P.G., Montgomery or northern counties, or Baltimore, but anywhere will do for the real McCoy. 

I've had it many times at Crisfield's in Silver Spring, and I believe Florida Avenue Grill has it and maybe Flavors in Falls Church.  But there must be (I hope) a bunch of places that serve it but I just haven't found out about them.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

Wednesday night at Jackie's is skillet-fried chicken night. 8081 Georgia Ave. in Silver Spring: click here for Jackie's webpage.

Wednesday night at Jackie's is skillet-fried chicken night. 8081 Georgia Ave. in Silver Spring: click here for Jackie's webpage.

Thanks for the tip, Crackers. I was hoping for a few places, and maybe some for the weekends, but the first chance I get I will venture from Neckminster :smile: to Jackie's on a Wednesday night.

Kevin

There are some country inns that have this. In particular the Wayside Inn in MIddletown, VA, years ago, had exemplery pan fried chicken perhaps on par with Stroud's in Kansas City. But it's been ten years since I've been there and I would check before going. This is the link with their menu:

http://www.alongthewayside.com/dining.asp

Note that fried chicken is NOT shown. It is possible that it is a special since it was a 30 minute or so wait when they would cook it to order in a seasoned black cast iron skillet.

A step below this was the Southern Kitchen in New Market, Rowe's in Staunton and the Smithfield Inn in Smithfield. Again, for ALL of these it has been years since I've been. Perhaps someone might have more current information on them. Also, Holly's on route 50 about 7 or 8 miles across the Bay Bridge has very good fried chicken although it is NOT pan fried. This is the link for them:

http://www.hollysrest.com/Lunch_Dinner/bod...nch_dinner.html

By the way, twenty years ago Crisfield's was the best in the D. C. area and almost no one knew that fried chicken may have been their best dish!

Well, if you ever end up in DE, there is Walt's in Wilmington....

Wow, that is awesome fried chicken. Of course, it is in the ghetto (as all the best fried chicken places are) and you will most likely be hustled on your way in and out, but yeah, it is worth it.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Well, if you ever end up in DE, there is Walt's in Wilmington....

Wow, that is awesome fried chicken.  Of course, it is in the ghetto (as all the best fried chicken places are) and you will most likely be hustled on your way in and out, but yeah, it is worth it.

Is this the place? :

Walt's Flavor Crisp Chicken

527 Vandever Ave

Wilmington DE 19802

(302) 658-1803

Sound very colorful and it doesn't seem too far from the Race Track & Slots. The makings of a great road trip.

Thanks,

Kevin