• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

frenched rack of veal

Eden

I picked up a Frenched rack of veal at the Trader Joes yesterday, and now I have to decide what to do with it. I could just do a simple herb rub/marinade & then roast it (yumm!) because how can you go wrong with veal? :wub: but figured I'd see if anyone had any fab suggestions here first.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

You can use whatever type of herb rub you like. the most important thing to do is to cook it correctly. It should be lightly browned and the put in a hot oven, about 450F until the internal temp is 100F. Depending on the size of the roast it will need to rest for 30 to 60 minutes to achieve a nice pink rare. -Dick

You can use whatever type of herb rub you like. the most important thing to do is to cook it correctly. It should be lightly browned and the put in a hot oven, about 450F until the internal temp is 100F. Depending on the size of the roast it will need to rest for 30 to 60 minutes to achieve a nice pink rare. -Dick

only 100f - really??? the few recipes I've read say between 125-130f. I just checked and my 1951 'Joy of Cooking' says 170f!!! (wow, that's some seriously overcooked veal!)

At 130F and after resting what you will obtain is a piece of veal that is very uniform in structure with no light pink color or 'well done' in my book. At 100F and say a 5# roast or greater with at least a 30 minute rest, you will obtain veal that is slightly pink in the center but the protein matrix will have changed from raw to rare. The meat will be firmer than raw but less than well done. It makes all the difference in the world. Many equate rare to raw because the meat is not cooked and rested correctly. Many have never had a true rare piece of meat.

Many years ago Jean Banchet made a Veal Wellington that was cut at table side from a cart. The center was a lovely light pink. If cooked to well done the dish would have been just another roast. -Dick

i agree,,,cook it between 100 and 115 and after it rests it will be just right. dont go by a 1951 cookbook for temps. back then everything was cooked forever. yuck!

no fears I don't go by Joy-1951 for temps, it just happened to be easy to hand and made an interesting comparison.

Given suggestions from 100 - 130 now, I'm going to go with iriee's compromise number of 115 and we'll see how it turns out.

edited for typo

Edited by Eden (log)

I cut a rack of veal in to 4 nice thick chops yesterday and cooked them on the grill. I marinated the chops with a mixture of fresh rosemary, garlic, lemon zest, lots of black peppercorns, lemon juice and olive oil that I crushed up with a mortar and pestle. They didn't take long to cook. Like beef we like them rare to medium rare .

Picture is posted on the dinner thread.

Ann

only 100f - really??? the few recipes I've read say between 125-130f. I just checked and my 1951 'Joy of Cooking' says 170f!!! (wow, that's some seriously overcooked veal!)

You can never undercook a piece of meat. If it isn't quite where you want it to be, you can always throw in under the broiler for a bit, but nothing will save overcooked beef (or any other meat for that matter).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide