• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me make a sandwich

elswinger

I'm having people over to watch the fireworks on Monday and I thought I would make some Paninis as a snack.

I am making Bolo Rolls and roasting chicken breasts, and will be buying some Proscuito, Provolone, and fresh Basil (I am going for a chicken cordon bleu sandwich, or Italian variation there of). Any other recommendations to put on the sandwich? (Some sort of dressing or other vegetables?)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm having people over to watch the fireworks on Monday and I thought I would make some Paninis as a snack.

I am making Bolo Rolls and roasting chicken breasts, and will be buying some Proscuito, Provolone, and fresh Basil (I am going for a chicken cordon bleu sandwich, or Italian variation there of).  Any other recommendations to put on the sandwich? (Some sort of dressing or other vegetables?)

I used to eat these really nice paninis in a little italian deli in Edinburgh. One of them was really simple, just chicken breast, prosciutto and some salad, but they always spread some garlic and basil mayo on the bread. It works well with cheese too, especially provolone. Maybe you could try that.

I am making Bolo Rolls and roasting chicken breasts, and will be buying some Proscuito, Provolone, and fresh Basil (I am going for a chicken cordon bleu sandwich, or Italian variation there of).  Any other recommendations to put on the sandwich? (Some sort of dressing or other vegetables?)

Have you considered making some Italian meatballs simmering in a crockpot for some meatball sandwiches? Mind you, you can't go wrong with prosciutto, especially if you buy them from Mario Batali's father's store Salumi.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

clearly too late for this but - a great touch for sandwiches is to toss greens with dressing (just a simple vinagrette will do but feel free to lilygild) and then pile the dressed greens into your panini. top up with whatever other meat/veg/cheese you like. A little acidity is nice (and often lacking) in a sandwich and the greens carry what seems like a perfect amount.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

I'll be checking the thread all the way through to the 4th, so any advice is welcome.

The meatball sandwich sounds tasty, but my guests will be standing, mostly, and my carpet is white.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Some suggestions:

Sliced chicken, basil, chopped fresh tomato, smoked mozzerella

Proscuito, evoo, arugula, mozzeralla

Provolone, salami, green olive tapenade

Grilled zucchini slices, evoo, roasted garlic, fresh ricotta

Sauteed mushroom, proscuito, taleggio & whisper of white truffle oil

Roasted peppers, goat cheese fresh basil

Oven dried tomatoes, goat cheese, mozzerella, basil

dessert paninis: dulche du leche, ricotta & fresh peach

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I once made a prosciutto sandwich with arugula and a fig compote spread. It was quite good.

I *think* I used a variation on this recipe for the fig spread:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/10140

If I remember correctly, I actually had to re-make it with out the rosemary, because the first batch with the rosemary was WAY too strong. But without the rosemary the spread was delish.

Happy 4th!

P.S. Aliwaks, what's evoo?! I'm intrigued!!

Edited by megwoo (log)

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

Well. so far, I've bought some thin-sliced proscuito, provolone, fresh mozzerella, pesto, basil, arugula, and red onion. I am going to make a pesto-mushroom tapenade and roast some chicken. I think I'm set for the 4th. I still have to tell people what to bring. Any ideas for sides?