• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sub Shop in Bergen County?

Rail Paul

i returned to sub-base today for the second time. perhaps it is due to my screaming hangover, but the sandwich was very good this time around. i take back all of the bad things i said about it.

i'm not sure what the difference was this time (aside from the shakes and dehydration), but this sandwich was much better than the first, even though it was the same woman who made both.

so, i highly recommend this place, at least every other time. :smile:

There used to be anouther Sub Base in Garfeild (the original), its since closed. I've always found both placrs just OK.I'm suprised no one has mentioned Jerry's in Englewood. They make one of the best heros around.The cold cuts are always fresh and the use the right kind of bread, not the soft squishy type, although they have that if you want it. Its also a great Italian food and provision store. They recently beefed up their cheese selection (with great prices)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I really like La Strada Deli on Godwin Ave in Midland Park.

I think bread is a huge factor when judging sub quality.

The brand of meat being used is also very important. I think when you talk deli meat you have to go with Boar's Head.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

• 3 weeks later...

we went to Skuffy's in beautiful hawthorne today. mrs. tommy had remembered that this place was really good...about 20 yrs ago.

well it has in fact held up. the subs are just as good as they were 20 yrs ago. and the decor and video games remain the same as well.

the only complaint with these sandwiches is the bread. ours was too well done, and on one of the sandwiches, too much. the whole bread-to-fillings ratio was a bit off, and enough to put a big damper on this otherwise decent sandwich.

shredded lettuce, which they use, is key. good for them. the sandwich is also bigger than sub base and some others.

Skuffy's Subs

(973) 427-3811

84 Goffle Rd

Hawthorne, NJ

fd7a7536.jpg

fd7a753b.jpg

That's funny - I can't stand the shredded lettuce thing.  It often makes me not get a sandwich if they don't have leaves of lettuce.

for this particular style of sandwich, shredded is appropriate. i agree though that leaf lettuce is most appropriate in just about every other application. just was i would agree that a big soft hogie roll, like the above, is generally crappy...but not in this application.

we went to Skuffy's in beautiful hawthorne today.  mrs. tommy had remembered that this place was really good...about 20 yrs ago.

well it has in fact held up.  the subs are just as good as they were 20 yrs ago.  and the decor and video games remain the same as well.

the only complaint with these sandwiches is the bread.  ours was too well done, and on one of the sandwiches, too much.  the whole bread-to-fillings ratio was a bit off, and enough to put a big damper on this otherwise decent sandwich.

shredded lettuce, which they use, is key.  good for them.  the sandwich is also bigger than sub base and some others.

Skuffy's Subs

(973) 427-3811    

84 Goffle Rd

Hawthorne, NJ

nice pix

what kind of oil / dressing did they use?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I just don't like the texture of shredded lettuce, ever..  It loses it's major crunch appeal for me.

not iceburb, which is, of course, the king of the crunchy lettuces.

paul, the dressing was o and red v. i'm assuming nothing special for either, but that's usually the case, and quite acceptable, for this type of sandwich imho.

Even iceburg is crunchier in leaf form than in shredded form. I don't like shredded lettuce. I just don't like it. I don't like it. I don't like the shredded pieces. I like to take a bit outta my lettuce leaf. I like it flat, in leaves. That's just how it is. It ain't a better or worse thing.

Even iceburg is crunchier in leaf form than in shredded form.  I don't like shredded lettuce. I just don't like it.  I don't like it.  I don't like the shredded pieces.  I like to take a bit outta my lettuce leaf.  I like it flat, in leaves.  That's just how it is.  It ain't a better or worse thing.

you're wrong. get out of my thread.

:wacko:

There are a few good shops in the River Edge area. (not responisble for spelling cuz boy is it bad!!!)

Dante's: A quality Italian but you pay the price--

Kinderkamack Rd --- East side north of the Vorhis Ave light

Joe's Boun Apetito: Another quality Italian with amazing homemade sausage and fresh mozz

Kinderkamack Rd in the strip mall south of the diner

Ted's North and Teds: A pair of sub shops located by the continental ave entrance to Van Saun Park, and the local exit to Garden State Plaza respectively. Tasty sandwiches, the Sloppy Ted kick's butt. Get the seasoned fries at Ted's North (formerly Komsa's Farms for old timers), I usually get them a little well done with extra seasoning

Cosmo's Salumaria: Yet another quality Italian, and my favorite. The bread, the meat, the dressing, and a big bottle of Manhattan Special, ummmmooooooohhh!!!!

Main Street in Hackensack by the Johnson ave Intersection, Across from the First Union Bank and a few doors north of the Lido <----Great thin crust pizza and sliced steak sandwiches!!

Fink :wacko:

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

my friends swear by cosmo's in hackensack. they tell me it's as good as vito's in hoboken (my favorite italian deli).  i need to try cosmo's.

Truly you do, the only reason I still go to Dante's is that it is almost as good and only a 2 minute walk from my store

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

• 2 years later...

Once again I am browsing the archives and came across this post. I LOVE Italian Hero's and have searched for the best. Well lucky for me, I don't have to travel very far. That's right folks, I am talking about COSMOS SALUMERIA in Hackensack, right next door to Lido's (umm Lido, but that's another topic). His bread is that real crusty and crunchy kind which is perfect for holding all the goodies in his heros. Let me start by saying that you ONLY come here for the subs. The salads are pretty much generic crap. However, the hero's are SO good it just doesn't matter. Cosmos also makes his fresh mozz daily, and it's so good that I stop in there for it when I make any dish that requires fresh mozz. He also makes his own roast beef which is always rare and always perfect. I grabbed 4 of them for the Giant game 2 weeks ago and my 3 friends were blown away. Now on to the Italian, the undisputed King of Subs. I order his #1 which consists of ham, Genoa salami, cappacolla, sopressata, fresh mozz AND small chunks of sharp provolone. The 2 cheeses balance each other out perfectly. He uses the meat slicer for the mozz, so it's cut perfectly thin and almost melts on the sandwich. Than he adds some toppings, and than the sharp prov. I always get lettuce, tom, onion, oil/vinegar and his homemade hot peppers. I challenge anyone to find me a better Italian Sub. Oh yeah, and to top it all off, he charges $5.50/sandwich. Folks, if you never listen to anything I ever have to say again, GO TO COSMOS!

I completely agree. Outside of maybe the Whitehouse in Atlantic City, Cosmos makes the best Sub I've ever eaten.

I had the roastbeef sub with lettuce, tomato, and roasted red pepper--a little salt and pepper, and a generous portion of mustard. OUTSTANDING.

Another fine combo was turkey breast and genoa salami. Cosmo gets the ratio perfect.

From the fresh Italian bread, to the top quality cold cuts, Cosmo gets the job done. And at $5.50 for a sandwich, you're not going to find better value anywhere.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)