• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arepas

wannabechef

I did a few searches and couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread about this tasty food. I'm trying to replicate a commonly found food found at street fairs here in NYC. The fabled Mozzerapa truck. They don't seem like much until you bite into one - two sweet, corn arepas, with a layer of melted mozzerella in between. They brown them on a griddle and serve. They are truly delicious.

I don't know if these are "traditional" arepas - I've never had one. All I know is that they are delicious and I want to try to make them at home. (I once tried making a tradtional arepa recipe and they came out terrible).

So I found this recipe online and tried making it last night. After following it exactly, the resulting dough was almost like a batter - and could not be rolled out. So I added a bunch more arepa flour until it was rollable and proceeded. The result was extremely tasty - almost exactly the same flavor as what you get at the street fair. The problem was that they were extremely dry, dense, and heavy. I'm thinknig this has to do with the extra flour I added.

Has anyone tried making these before? Tonight I'm going to try the recipe again as is, but freeze the dough for a bit before rolling it out. anyone have any other tips?

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/158685433X_2.html

158685433X_2.jpg

Edited by wannabechef (log)

i've tried making arepas before--oddly enough just a couple of weeks ago--but not those specific ones. i used the recipe off the back of the goya masarepa package and it turned out exactly like what i've had before at a local venezuelan restaurant.

the recipe didn't involve milk, though, that i remember. but looking on goya's website here they definitely do include both cheese and milk. good stuff. i really like them. at the venezuelan place they'll stuff them with everything under the sun--chicken, beef, beans, cheese, eggs, tuna, you name it.

Arepas can be found in either Colombia or Venezuela. I will say that I'm not sure what the difference is between them as I've only had venezuelan arepas once. I'm nore familiar with the ones from Colombia. The recipe you have sounds good, except that the ones I had didn't use corn kernels. Regardless, it´s a good idea.

Milk is added mainly for flavor. I've eaten arepas without milk and I even made arepa-tortillas (no milk)

I know in Colombia they ear arepas like bread, for breakfast with butter and/or cheese. In Venezuela they stuff it or add toppings. I like both versions.

As for any tips... let's see (runs to grab a couple of books)

Norman Van Aken has a good arepas recipe. He doesn't freeze his, he just molds them with his fingers (he moistens them in water as he works) He also covers the dough (and the uncooked disks) with a moist towel. He uses this recipe: for 16 3-inch arepas:

1.5 cups milk

0.5 cups unsalted butter (melted)

1.5 cups arepa flour

1.5 teaspoons salt

He also uses queso blanco to top the arepas when done. Hope this helps

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

When you guys made them, what was the consistency of the dough like? Was it very wet? Or more like a bread type dough? This one was originally a cross between a wet dough and a batter. I'll post back after I try again.

~WBC

it was like..... like a little bit of a crumbly dough. when i first mixed it, it was pretty chunky but as i stirred it, it smoothed out, and then after it sat for a bit and i guess the starch in the masarepa absorbed the water, it became... i guess the closest thing to it that immediately comes to mind would be cold mashed potatoes, maybe?

before i continue though, keep in mind that i'm no expert on these things. i've eaten a lot of them, and the one time i made them they turned out like i've had them out. i'm sure if i'm wrong someone will be around to correct me.

so anyway, looking at the recipe on that site you posted, it seems to me that it's straight up too much liquid--the water plus the liquid in the corn kernels would have made your dough more sticky than just the masarepa alone.

i mean, the recipes i've seen mostly have roughly equal parts of masarepa and water--that one has that, plus another half-measure of water, plus the half-measure of corn kernels.

anyway, that's my guess. damn the picture looks good, though. looks like an arepa-based grilled cheese sandwich.

wait, that's pretty much what it is, isn't it?

i mean, the recipes i've seen mostly have roughly equal parts of masarepa and water--that one has that, plus another half-measure of water, plus the half-measure of corn kernels.

anyway, that's my guess.  damn the picture looks good, though.  looks like an arepa-based grilled cheese sandwich.

wait, that's pretty much what it is, isn't it?

Thanks - yeah thats pretty much what it is. An arepa grilled cheese. So damn good though! The way I interpreted the recipe, that extra water was to help thin the dough out if its too dry. I was nowhere near needing it though - in fact quite the oppisite. I wonder if theres a mistake in the recipe. However, being more wet, the end product will be fluffier and lighter - almost like thick pancake I think. Thats what I'm hoping at least.

I cheat cheat cheat...

just call me sandra lee...ok dont really

I was also trying to come up with something like the mozzarepas at the portugese fest in Newark

1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix

small can of corn mostly pureed

1 egg

milk to make a batter thicker than pancake batter

salt pepper and onion powder

shreaded mozz

nonstick griddle or pan

pour out desired amount of batter onto greased pan when just about ready to flip...sprinkle on the cheese and turn

no the cheese wont stick

let the cheese get good and golden brown

eat

scarey but good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The recipe David Rosengarten has in his book 'It's All American Food" is very good. I haven't made them myself, but I did taste those made from his recipe while attending a class he taught a year or two ago. He demo'ed them and they seemed very easy.

Stop Family Violence

4 cups of tender corn kernels (canned corn may be used)

3 teaspoons of salt

¾ to 1 cup of water (depending on how tender the corn is)

¾ cup of sugar

Mix all the ingredients in a blender. The mix should become thick and heavy. If not, add more corn. Shape the mix like pancakes approximately 1-2 inch thick. Let them cook on medium heat for about one minute on each side, or until small bubbles form on the top. Cachapas should be served hot, and may be accompanied with cheese.

• 2 years later...

I had a craving for a Mozzerapa today and went on here to search for recipes. I was fascinated that there was a post about them and then realized it was my own! :raz:

Figured I'd bump this up and see if anyone had any ideas. I need to reproduce the mythical Mozzerapa at home. Any ideas?

~WBC