• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ti Punch

slkinsey

Hi Susan -

Welcome to the board!

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I have always heard it pronounced "tee"

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Is the first word of this drink pronounced "tee" or "tye"?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

[...]These are to complement the rhum, you're not making a caiparinha, where you want to cover the flavor of the spirit.

Dear Ed,

I do take offense your comment above and I ask that you kindly retract what you have written.

I have always thought of egullet as a place for open and constructive discussion, rather than broad and incorrect generalizations.

While it is true that there are many caipirinhas made with too much sugar; for caipirinhas made with Mae De Ouro I have always advocated a balance of lime and sugar and never to cover up the flavor of the alcohol.

-Cachaca Dave

Dave I think its fair to say that Fazenda Mae De Ouro is the exception in terms of Cachaca quality rather than the rule. I'd have to agree with Ed that the commercial Cachacas I've tried, like Pitu, Ypioca or Velho Barreiro are very harsh and need a lot of sugar for a Caipirinha to taste good. Yours is an artisinal product and the balance of the stuff consumed in Brazil is very industrial.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No pronunciation guide on Wikepedia but I like the story about preparing your death.

I say it like 'tie'.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti%27Punch

Hey Kevin,

I've not been to the Islands, so I can't say for sure. However, I do know "Ti' Punch" is short for "Petit Punch".

If you go with the French pronunciation of "Petit", it makes sense to me that it would be close to "tee" than "tie".

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

If you go with the French pronunciation of "Petit", it makes sense to me that it would be close to "tee" than "tie".

'Tee' is correct or 'tea' if you prefer, it is a derivative of the French word 'petit.'

Just don't call it a rum tee!

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

'Tee' is correct or 'tea' if you prefer, it is a derivative of the French word 'petit.'

Just don't call it a rum tee!

D'Oh! Stupid me. It'll be teeeee from now on. :smile:

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Tonight I made myself a Ti Punch with the Neisson Agricole Blanc and the Dormoy Cane Syrup I ordered from Ed's site. Gotta say, I really need to drink these a lot more often. At 11PM on a balmy summer evening, when you don't feel like muddling a Mojito or a Caipirinha, these little babies are so easy to make and really hit the spot. I'm going to need to keep more limes around to accomodate my rum drink habits.

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/NeissonBlancprodsheet.htm

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

I recently met with Ed Hamilton in NYC to discuss his spirits portfolio:

OTB Podcast #28: Ed Hamilton, Minister of Rum

It's not every day that you see something legitimately new and exciting happen in the spirits industy -- Rhum Agricole is truly one of those things. While Rhum Agricole isn't "new" -- these rums have been distilled for well over 100 years in the French islands -- its only because of Ed Hamilton's doggedness and persistence and commitment to get these into the United States that we're able to enjoy them at all. I really hope that Rhum Agricole and the 'Ti Punch starts to take off, they are wonderful spirits and a wonderful drink.

It's Friday afternoon and tomorrow is my first real day off in almost two weeks. I'm sipping a Ti Punch made with the La Favorite Agricole Blanc and some of Ed's wonderful cane syrup as I type this. Great way to start off the weekend. It's almost like a little vacation in a glass.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...

A Ti Punch variation for this evening's entertainment.

Half a lime, cut into small sections

1/2 oz. Cane syrup (although I'm hoarding my last little bit)

2 oz. Rhum Clement blanc

1/2 oz. Clement Creole Shrub (an orange and rhum flavored liqueur)

2 healthy dashes Fee Brothers Orange flower water

Muddle lime and cane syrup together in shaker. Fill with ice. Add rhum, shrub and orange flower water and shake vigorously until well chilled. Dump into a highball glass and sip slowly and reflectively.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 years later...

A Ti' Punch last weekend with J.M agricole blanc and sirop J.M (sugarcane syrup). The rhum agricole is the 40% (bought at my local BevMo); I hope to be able to be able to buy the 50% version soon. Even with the 40%, this is delightful on a hot summer day.

9423844079_e909836d93_z.jpg

Hey FP, Total Wine in Cali has Rhum Dillon 100proof for a cool $14 a litre. Funky and gasoliney and everything an agricole should be, at a price befitting an unaged spirit