• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Drinks

twodogs

The weather warms and two things come to mind, salt air and rum drinks. Being landlocked in Colorado, I can only put salt water in a spray bottle, turn the fan on high and get the essence of salt spray as I sit down with a rum punch with a meyers float or perhaps a dark and stormy with goslings and ginger beer. These two cocktails personify relaxation in the heat of the summer, but I know there are more rum cocktails which need to be discovered or revitalized. What is out there?

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

One of my favorites is the original daiquiri, which, in these days of fruit versions, is surprisingly rare. And, as ubiquitous as it may be, the mojito is still a great summertime drink.

I was recently introduced to the rum crusta as well, which is defintely worth trying if you happen to have a bottle of maraschino on hand.

I agree that the original daiquiri is a great drink.

The other day, I was looking around for something to make that would use up an oversupply of oranges, and came across the Floridian Cocktail #2. Even with the gin, it struck me as too sweet, so I came up with the Bitter Floridian:

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce white rum

3/4 ounce orange juice

1/4 ounce falernum

1/4 ounce lime juice

7 drops orange bitters

Shake with ice and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

Unfortunately, one orange makes four of these, so I didn't make a big dent in my surplusage.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm quite partial to the Floridita Cocktail (not to be confused with the Floridita Daiquiri, which is a lovely drink as well). I can't recall where I first came across the recipe; it's not listed on cocktailDB.com.

Floridita Cocktail

1.5 ounces white rum

.5 ounce fresh lime juice

.5 ounce sweet vermouth

dash grenadine

dash white creme de cacao

Shake with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

At first glance it looks like it can't possibly work, but in one of those weird twists of mixological alchemy, you wind up with a nicely complex drink in the glass. Just be sure to measure carefully, and don't overpour the grenadine or cacao--you just want trace hints of pomegranate and chocolate.

Paul

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

A personal favorite is Rum & Coconut Water, a simple and refreshing little tipple that is consumed throughout the Caribbean (it's what that resort bartender who made you all those Bahama Mamas will probably drink on her day off). Of course, it demands green coconuts, which can be pretty hard to find, or canned coconut water, aka coconut juice (NOT coconut milk), which turns up in Asian food stores and some health-food type markets.

Getting the coconut water's the hard part. The easy part is mixing the drink: simply pour 2 oz or so rum into a tall glass, add a couple of ice cubes and top off with 2-4 oz coconut water. Stir.

As for the rum: I've had it with everything from 10 Cane to Angostura 1919 to Mount Gay to Wray & Nepher White Overproof. In general, an amber rum, not too woody, works best.

NOTE: The slightly salty, full-bodied nuttiness of the coconut water really turns some people off, so I'd test it on them before building an evening around it. Others, however, really love it, and when it's triple-H weather nothing is more refreshing (the coco water serves as a kind of sports drink).

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Very simple:

Jeronimo

Lots of lime (without the skins for the bitternes) lots of crashed ice, muddled with a nice white rum, check some premium brands like Clement. Balance all up with some home made sugar sirup (any flavour one welcome, all home made). The quality of limes and the rum (always) are basic. Perfect for summertime. Check it out!

the godfather.

I gotta say Chuck Taggert's fresh take on the Hurricane is a mighty fine Rum drink. The only change I make is to use Pomegranate Juice instead of Grenadine. Yum. Might have to make one when I get home.

I'm also quite fond of a well made Planter's Punch. Though, good luck finding two recipes that agree on what is supposed to be in one.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

A personal favorite is Rum & Coconut Water, a simple and refreshing little tipple that is consumed throughout the Caribbean (it's what that resort bartender who made you all those Bahama Mamas will probably drink on her day off). Of course, it demands green coconuts, which can be pretty hard to find, or canned coconut water, aka coconut juice (NOT coconut milk), which turns up in Asian food stores and some health-food type markets.

Are you talking about the stuff in the cans that is called young coconut in English? It's the clear coconut water with chunks of young coconut in it. The combo sounds really good and easy. I like mixing the canned guava or soursop drinks with rum and a little soda water in the summer too.

regards,

trillium

Are you talking about the stuff in the cans that is called young coconut in English?  It's the clear coconut water with chunks of young coconut in it. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Usually, the stuff with the chunks is lightly sweetened, which is hardly necessary. Goya puts out an unsweetened, chunk-free version which is my preferred choice when I can't get a green coconut (or don't want to bother with one), and there's a new Brazilian brand that comes in some kind of fancy juice pack that's pretty good, too. But the sweetened stuff is still fine, although I usually strain out the chunks. In any case, as you say, good and easy.

And yeah, some of those other Caribbean juices are great, too. I even like the canned sugarcane juice with rum; a bit monochrome, but not half bad (especially if you add mint, lime and soda water).

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Goya is the coconut milk I mix with rum in the islands, but the little chunks of coconut detract from the experience. A few years ago some food producers in Trinidad were trying to pasteurize coconut juice so it could be canned, but to date, I haven't tasted anything that I would say replaces green coconut milk, which also very considerably.

As for the rum, I use a light clear rum like Angostura Premium white, Palo Viejo from Puerto Rico or Cruzan White from Saint Croix.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Besides the usual rum drinks, I like making 151 orange daiquiris. :) (I'm sure they have a proper name, but I don't know what it is at the moment)

1 ounce Bacardi 151 (or other overproof rum)

1 ounce orange juice

1/2 ounce lime juice

1/2 ounce simple syrup

Shake and strain.

It may be simple but Mount Gay and Tonic has been my standby for years. I'm also a big fan of the Dark & Stormy (Gosslings Black Rum and Ginger Beer). Or a good Myers & Pineapple alway's hits the mark. If I'm on Tortola then it's a Number III Pain Killer at Pussers.

It may be simple but Mount Gay and Tonic has been my standby for years.

EXACTLY what I was going to post! :wub: Don't forget to add a squeeze of lime...VERY refreshing.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 13 years later...

Old topic, this.

Welcoming the winter temps and snow here, I made my winter hot punch...

Cranberry and pineapple juice,  water, along with brown sugar, salt, whole allspice, whole cloves and broken cinnamon sticks.  Added rum, brandy and Rye whiskey.

It really warms me up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lindag said:

Old topic, this.

Welcoming the winter temps and snow here, I made my winter hot punch...

Cranberry and pineapple juice,  water, along with brown sugar, salt, whole allspice, whole cloves and broken cinnamon sticks.  Added rum, brandy and Rye whiskey.

It really warms me up.

Thanks for finding the lovely thread and resurrecting it!  Last night here it was @Splificator's Mississippi punch (which, before anyone points out is mostly cognac, possesses quite a bit of rum).  Tonight it's just a mai tai.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou