• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas & American Fine Dining Chefs

BigboyDan

[Moderator's Note: This topic has been split of from another topic on the Dallas restaurant Aurora, since it focuses on a broader topic. Members may have strong opinions and disagree, of course, but let's keep the discussion civil.]

Aurora is mediocre at best. Same-ol'-same-ol' restaurant problem: trying to be something that they can never be. Just once, I would like to see some American Fine Dining chef actually cook something correctly...

Aurora is mediocre at best. Same-ol'-same-ol' restaurant problem: trying to be something that they can never be. Just once, I would like to see some American Fine Dining chef actually cook something correctly...

what do you look for when your dining out that is not done correctly? Just curious so we (American Fine Dining Chefs) can try to meet your expectations. What do you look for in a restaurant? Who are you comparing the American chefs to?? I really am curious.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Why are you in Texas if you laugh pretentious out of town. Why are you not in New York at any number of restaurants or Philadelphia or Chicago? Where do you work in Austin? I will be down in September and am still looking for something that is not bbq related. Do you think there is a dining public in Texas that would support the style of dining you indicate in the link? Where would it be best sited, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin?

THanks for that link, it sounded like an incredible dining experience. My next real dining trip is planned to be Alinea in CHicago. I dine in Dallas because the level there is higher than were I currently live.

Challenge the current powers to excell beyond even what they know they are aware of.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei,

First, I don't work in Austin, I'm just from here. :smile:

Second, I think that Dallas, more than the other cities, would support a variety of high-end restaurants; the problem is that Dallas only gets pretenders. Now, I like The Mansion on Turtle Creek, Abacus (solid 4*), Lola, Chez Gerard, Beau Nash, and the others that offer honest fare, fairly made. My guess is the The French Room could do it right if they really wanted to... alas, it's all just so expensive.

Third, Austin eateries tend to be informal, with a few exceptions. Here is the definitive website on foodie Austin:

http://www.diningoutwithrobbalon.com/

I spent the last nine months working here: http://www.pierre-gagnaire.com/anglais/index1.htm

I'm from Austin, we laugh pretentiousness outta' town, and back to Dallas.

Read it, and sigh:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=69957

Are we to assume, then, that you are back in Dallas? If not, would - like Joiei - love to know where you cook in Austin. We go there often, and are always stressing our metabolisms with research.

Would also love to hear about your stage with Gagnaire. And why you chose Gagnaire over Passard, Ducasse, or Veyrat, and France over, say, Spain and Arzak or Akelare, one of the Adrias, Buitron, or Santamaria.

Am hoping to dine at Aurora in the next few days to see if they've really taken a header off the high board with no water in the pool. Hope to have a postprandial up by the weekend.

Cheers,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I'm 47 years-old. As I mentioned in a post on this thread that was moved, I'm from Austin, I just no longer work in any kitchen here. :biggrin: In years past I worked for The Driskill, Lakeway, LaTour, Jeffery's (fed Bush a couple of times), The Quorum Club and a few more in other US states going back over thirty years. After college in 1979 I went to France to stage with Alain Chapel and La Tour D'Argent (both three-starred at the time), and, Wah-lah! I go to Paris every other year for around nine months at a time and I cook there as an eternal starred-kitchen Sous; otherwise, I work at UT.

I did eat at Aurora about two months after they opened, and I am probably too critical of my experience there. The chef has a good Dallas pedigree and needs time to flesh-out his new restaurant, it is a beautiful place.

there as an eternal starred-kitchen Sous; otherwise, I work at UT.

I did eat at Aurora about two months after they opened, and I am probably too critical of my experience there. The chef has a good Dallas pedigree and needs time to flesh-out his new restaurant, it is a beautiful place.

I believe that Avner travels to France periodically, and works with some cooks named Robuchon (I think he's known for his mashed potatoes) and Ducasse, or something like that.

As for a Dallas pedigree, I am not certain what that means ... outside of a kennel, and I don't think the Dallas Co. Health Dep't allows the service of dog in restaurants here (something about not being inspected by USDA or somesuch thing).

Call me a provincial or a bumpkin, but I still believe that dining is a great pleasure, and sometimes the table delights, sometimes it is even, and sometimes it is off. It is always a learning experience: maybe the kitchen is not speaking the dialect I go in expecting ... sometimes it is wrong and sometimes it is just not something I understand. But dining as entrapment? Reviewing as a blood sport? Confusing a bile coulis with bona fides?

That should be left where it belongs: Chez Jerry Springer.

Cheers,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I was just cruising the Texas forum to confirm some Dallas recomendations for friends who are on the way there, and would love Dan to elaborate on Gagnaire and pretentiion. I've had a couple of great meals there, tested a couple of Gagnaire's labor intensive recipes for a cookbook, but only recommend it for friends interested in culinary performance art (admittedly, my better friends, as opposed to being able to send anyone with good taste buds to Robuchon's Table).

Dan, any elaboration will be appreciated. I've still got some forum cruising to do to remember the name of the place I got the great Cabrito in Dallas.