• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do You Clean a BBQ Mop?

dscott

On several occasions I've successfully used a BBQ mop to make some phenomenal chicken on the grill. Here's the problem, how do you clean the friggin mop after use? Any great solutions out there in EG land?

FYI: The offending sauce on the mop has oil, vinegar, egg & spices which seems to create the perfectly uncleanable mess. The mop is a small rag mop in the shape of a ball, skewered on a piece of wood.

Best method so far: Soak forever in a soap and water mix, squeezing out and putting in a clean solution several times, then putting through the top rack of the dishwasher. This worked o.k. (not great) but took forever.

Worst method: Top rack of dishwasher-didn't touch the mess on the mop

I've never tried this with a BBQ mop, but this method might work.

Put the mop in a long sock or pillow case, tie up the end, and run it through your clothes washer and drier. That should clean it up.

Do you want it clean, or unstained/pristine?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I've never tried this with a BBQ mop, but this method might work.

Put the mop in a long sock or pillow case, tie up the end, and run it through your clothes washer and drier. That should clean it up.

Great advice, but with what I just paid for the Washer I'd rinse it and run it through the dishwasher FIRST!....Just can't see all that crap in my washing machine. I also wouldn't use Tide or anything, just a big load of vineagar. Let me know how it works I really want to do a big barbeque thing for the 4th and bought a mop to expedite matters. I guess you're the guini (sp) pig.... :cool:

Do you want it clean, or unstained/pristine?

I'd be happy with clean (i.e., most of the "slime" removed from the mop). Don't care if it remains stained.

This is akin to the instructions for how to shampoo your cat (don't ask)

Afix your mop to your least favorite reversible drill.

Fill two sinks with soapy water.

Spin the mop at low speed ~500 rpm or less if possible for a while in one sink for 30 seconds or longer. Squeeze the mop.

Spin the mop at low speed in the second sink for a similar period of time. Squeeze the mop.

Remove the mop from the drill chuck.

Rinse well in clear water til the water stays clear while wringing and swishing the mop.

Wring well one final time.

Air dry with the mop head up.

Edit to comment: Eggs? Never heard of those in a marinade/bbq sauce before. No wonder. Try ERA laundry detergent as your soap.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

actually the soap u really want to use is dawn dishwashing liquid as it does break up grease..it really does work and u might also want to add some vinegar to that dawn laced water for the eggs..that combination will pretty much clean up just about anything ..sure it may take a while..but in truth there r no real shortcuts short of putting it in the washing machine..which u then would not be able to use the dawn...i would have suggested bleach for the egg but that would pretty much kill any future use for food and vinegar really does work as well when u cant use bleach

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion