• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Produce sources in MontCo?

So...I'm living out in the suburbs, temporarily. And I'm discovering all sorts of cool things--the Ardmore wine & spirits premium store and the Bakery House, for example--but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find a good reliable source for fruits and vegetables. No farmers' markets except the ones I'd normally go to anyways (Clark Park and Rittenhouse), no Sue's Produce, no Italian Market...

I've tried the Ardmore Farmers' Market, Whole Foods ($$$!), Trader Joe's, Acme, SuperFresh, Genuardi's... all without notable success. I searched the Farm to City and Food Trust websites and that hasn't been particularly helpful, either.

So does anyone have any suggestions for places I should shop at every week? Or should I just stick with shopping in the city? (It's too late in the season to order a CSA share, otherwise I might do that.)

As always, thank you!

So...I'm living out in the suburbs, temporarily. And I'm discovering all sorts of cool things--the Ardmore wine & spirits premium store and the Bakery House, for example--but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find a good reliable source for fruits and vegetables. No farmers' markets except the ones I'd normally go to anyways (Clark Park and Rittenhouse), no Sue's Produce, no Italian Market...

I've tried the Ardmore Farmers' Market, Whole Foods ($$$!), Trader Joe's, Acme, SuperFresh, Genuardi's... all without notable success. I searched the Farm to City and Food Trust websites and that hasn't been particularly helpful, either.

So does anyone have any suggestions for places I should shop at every week? Or should I just stick with shopping in the city? (It's too late in the season to order a CSA share, otherwise I might do that.)

As always, thank you!

Produce Junction on Bryn Mawr Ave in Bala about 1/2 mile south of City Ave. Its very cheap and its sold kinda in bulk - only catch is fruit is usually pretty ripe so it wont very long. Crowded on weekends - cheap flowers. You can't miss it, there is always a trafiic jam there from the shoppers. Nothing too fancy mind you but it has its strengths for sure. Try it out!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

As for shopping - I love foodsource but its very costly and I dont buy everything there by a longshot - tey do have hard to find items though. Whole Foods is my staple although we often hit genuardis too. Seems like in order to get everything we need, we have to go to more than one place.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Lee's on Butler Pike in Conshohocken (across the street from Wawa) is great.

The Giant in Plymouth Meeting has a reasonably good produce section - at least, it's massively improved in the past few years. It's still a supermarket, of course.

I sometimes find good stuff at the Flourtown farmer's market - hardly ever at the Chestnut Hill one, though. Where exactly in the suburbs ARE you, though? It's kind of a huge area :)

Thanks all--

I'm in Narberth, so I've basically been shopping in Ardmore/Wynnewood.

Can someone give me the exact address (or more detailed directions) to Lee's? I'll check out that and Produce Junction this weekend :)

the fruit and veggies market (i think this is the name), on haverford avenue in ardmore is quite a good, reliable place to check out. it's right near ardmore beverage, dmi hardware and the nut place.

-- arice

the fruit and veggies market (i think this is the name), on haverford avenue in ardmore is quite a good, reliable place to check out.  it's right near ardmore beverage, dmi hardware and the nut place.

Another place a little further in that direction is a produce market on Eagle Rd. in Havertown. Can't remember the name... it recently moved down the road from the corner of Eagle Rd. & Lawrence Rd. to a bit closer to town.

My favorite is Gentile's Market in Newtown Square, just off Westchester Pike on 252. Large selection, very good prices, and generally fresh stuff. It would probably be about a 20-25 minute drive from Narberth, which maybe further than you're willing to go, but I think it's worth it a couple of times a month.