• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada Day, Eh!

Pam R

In another moment of brilliance, it occurred to me late in the day that I didn't have intentions of baking bread today but failed to purchase something. So now my choice of bread to soak up the sauce with my shrimp falls between extra buns left from last night's burgers or a pumpernickel I got at the farmer's market. Obviously food was not at the top of my brain's priority list for today... though I have no idea what it was concentrating on instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

In another moment of brilliance, it occurred to me late in the day that I didn't have intentions of baking bread today but failed to purchase something. So now my choice of bread to soak up the sauce with my shrimp falls between extra buns left from last night's burgers or a pumpernickel I got at the farmer's market. Obviously food was not at the top of my brain's priority list for today... though I have no idea what it was concentrating on instead.

I like to keep a package of Texas Toast in the freezer for just such an occasion.  Maybe some Hawaiian Buns would work too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. It was way too close to shrimp time when I posted that to be able to do even the quickest baking, the shrimp were already in the oven. I buttered the burger buns and heavily toasted them. It did the trick, really just something to soak up the sauce anyway.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I haven't propagated the idea here that I'm much of a gourmet when it comes to cooking for myself at home but just in case anybody had that notion... now you know the truth. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

We had meatloaf, BC Warba (nugget) potatoes steam-baked in the CSO and some steamed corn-on-the-cob. Thought about having local sockeye salmon with a maple syrup glaze but we've had quite a bit of salmon lately.  Dessert was some BC cherries with yogurt - closest I came to a red+white theme.  :)

• Like 4

We went to our neighour’s get together and had pot luck salads and desserts plus some way, way over cooked bbq sausages in dry buns😩

The company was good.  About 25 of us locals and some Danish visitors to one of the other neighours.

The high light was the big old brown bear wandering down the middle of our cul-de-sac then watching the Danes running down the drive to get a glimpse of it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The rhubarb pie I took to the feast....homemade pistachio ice cream not in the picture.  It went pretty quickly...from The Art of the Pie...butter crust using the King Arther method of putting the dough together.DSC02481.thumb.jpg.7238f17c63a2bc01108766513cf650db.jpg

• Like 4

So at The Edge of the Avalon Inn in Trepassey for dinner John had a 12 oz draft Quidi Vidi 1892 and an Iceberg.  I had a cod sandwich with fries and John had a bowl of pea soup and an appetizer portion of fish cakes.  I had had the pea soup the night before and it was wonderful.  John ate all the soup and I ate the sandwich and half the fries so he had the fish cakes and chips for breakfast this morning as we left before the dining room breakfast was served.

While we were eating the chef, Norm, came,out and talked with us, saying it was great meeting us and cooking for us.  It was his birthday as well so he was leaving a bit early(about 8) to have a bit of time with his wife after the 3 kids were off to bed.

Happy birthday and happy Canada Day!

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites