• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada Day, Eh!

Pam R

It's my birthday, so I'll insist on having pancakes for breakfast.

But I'm working, so the rest of the day, not so sure....I can't barbeque, as I don't have one, and I'm not even sure I could buy hamburger or any other barbecueable cuts of meat. I might head down to the Aussie restaurant here for some ribs, or if I decide on a blowout, I might hit Restaurant Bobby Chinn!

But there will definitely be cake.

We will be spending the day in our subterranean storage locker in the basement of the building, with our feet in buckets of ice, drinking Slurpees and whining about the heat.

When it cools from an inferno to a sauna, we will probably have some chilled asian noodle salad.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

:biggrin: I made a lot of money off that sassy wit in the late 80's. :laugh:

Ling...check out Canadian Living...they have a million ideas for making red and white desserts :laugh:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Well, I won't be in Canada, but I'm going down to the Henley regatta Saturday, so I'll be (sort of) celebrating with a picnic alongside the Thames.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

:biggrin:  I made a lot of money off that sassy wit in the late 80's.  :laugh:

Ling...check out Canadian Living...they have a million ideas for making red and white desserts  :laugh:

I've never used their dessert recipes before...are they good?

Looks like I'm going to be celebrating Canada Day in Vancouver after all. We're probably going to get a bunch of different meats, pates, and cheeses from Oyama, and have a picnic.

I think we're keeping it super simple this year - we're going around to all the meat places and getting some burgers to see which one's the best. I'm currently a fan of Nortown's 8oz burgers - SO TASTY.

for the first time, we have had foods all done... we don't know what to make for dessert! Maybe just fruit, cheese and icecream...

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Rottiserie Chicken on the barbeque, german potato salad with ham, bacon and asparagus, coleslaw with peanut sauce and another side dish, I havent decided on yet. For dessert, grilled pineapple marinated in dark rum, butter, black pepper and brown sugar, with hagen daaz ice cream with mexican chocolate sauce.

Any ideas for the rottiserie chicken.

Happy Canada Day everyone!!! :wink:

This year, we are heading out to a friend's cabin on the lake. The plan for dinner is some whole salmon cooked on the barbie, rice and various salads on the side, s'mores for dessert. I'm thinking of bringing out a Strawberry rhubarb pie or something of the sort in keeping with the red and white theme. There is going to be a large group of us out there so it is going to more of a potluck thing as far as the salads go. I'm thinking of doing up some kind of sauce to serve with the salmon and am leaning towards some kind of dill/lemon/mustard concoction.

Numerous drinks to help keep us cool in the hot weather that is forecast for the weekend. I'm going to do up a pitcher of Sangrias, have some mojitos on hand (even though they are not what the "in" crowd is drinking anymore...) to go along with the cold beer that will be consumed.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Any ideas for the rottiserie chicken.

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!  :wink:

I can suggest what not to do for chicken. My usually reliable pre-cooked chicken from Costco changed from dry rub rotisserie to oven baked after spraying with Sprite. And they put the price up!

My inside source there says sales are way off...

Canada day, I'm working... Do people even eat in fine dining restaurants on Canada day? (I believe this is the first I've had to work) Oh well, as quick as we can clean the kitchen I'm going back home where the roomates and a bunch of other people are having a BBQ - steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and most importantly plenty of beer.

Happy Canada Day (and happy birthday nakji!)

I don't know about the rest of the country, but it's been an unbelievably gorgeous day today. I know the rest of you don't believe that Winnipeg could have great weather - ever - but it's been sunny and about 28 C all day.

So in the end, I decided not to fight the hordes at Winnipeg Beach, or in the city either. Today was a day for relaxing - napping, reading on the deck and drinking lots of icey beverages and a couple of freezies.

For dinner, we went with the whole grilling thing - I mean it's Canada Day! But in the spirit of our multicultural country I grilled Greek inspired pizzas. Served with Mojitos :wink:

For dessert later, Timbits. (why do I like timbits but hate their doughnuts?)

The sun won't set here for a couple of more hours - so I may wonder out to one of the public places for fireworks - or just catch some from the deck out back (somebody in my neighbourhood sets them off every chance they get).

Hope you're all having a great holiday.

Canada Day barbecue here at our lakefront cabin on Salt Spring Island.

Drinks to fuel the prep and grill process: Strongbow Cider and a pitcher of Mount Gay and tonic with lime wedges.

Beef tenderloin steaks rubbed with olive oil, a garlic clove, coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper. Baby portobello mushrooms marinated in soya sauce, olive oil and garlic. And couscous in chicken stock tossed with some fresh basil and sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic.

Dessert: chilled local raspberries on a platter with chunks of a 67% Scharffenberger espresso bar.

Snacks on the dock at the harbour while waiting for the fireworks to start: chocolate-chip cookies and chunks of Australian candied ginger.

Happy belated Canada Day!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 years later...

Happy Canada Day!

The menu for tonight will be simple because everybody is working today. Grilled rib-eyes, chicken, typical accoutrement, with fresh fruit for dessert.

What are you serving?

I did some surf and turf for Canada Day this year. Grilled up some steaks, boiled some lobsters and served it up with corn on the cob, potato salad, caesar salad and coleslaw. For dessert, it was strawberry shortcake made with angel food cake and various tarts that an aunt had picked up from Bearspaw Bakery in Jasper on their drive from Edmonton to Prince George. It was a great dinner and a wonderful way to celebrate our nation's birthday with family.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

We had ribs, burgers, an assortment of salads - couscous, beet-and-potato, Vietnamese chicken and cabbage, broccoli, and rotini. Dessert was Dorie Greenspan's Celebration Cake, which was perfectly designed for Canada Day with it's red and white color scheme. That's the great thing about doing a Canada Day cake - no messing around with blueberries with our flag! :biggrin:

It was the perfect barbecue that I always imagine when I'm overseas.

• 8 years later...

Thanks.

We are heading over to a neighbour’s for grilled sausages by the host and guests are bringing sides or dessert.  I have a rhubarb pie in the works this morning and yesterday I made some pistachio ice cream to go with the pie.

The weather Is a little unsettled but it may clear up like it did last night when we were at friends for pizza from the local shop.  It took our friend several tries on the phone to order.  The shop was super busy because the pub next door had no chef...apparently she/he walked out earlier in the day.  The main village Inn’s kitchen staff walked out last week so no food there.  Same management.  That leaves the little cafe/bistro and the pizza place open for the 5000 people now in the village...our year round population is about 2000 but we are now in full tourist mode.  Sheesh.

• Like 6

It's Canada Day, the day to celebrate all things Canadian... and being the brilliant person I am, that completely slipped my mind and I got everything I needed yesterday to make Cajun bbq shrimp today. Think I could claim the Acadian tie-in and get away with it? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm getting dragged out to the festivities uptown, despite the sweltering heat and humidity. Food prep today will be minimal, in consequence (heat and I do not co-exist well). I suspect dinner will, if anything, be a beer.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning