• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada Day, Eh!

Pam R

We'll be camping over the upcoming long weekend, so Canada day will likely involve steaks, baked potatoes and possibly a baked brie to nibble on in the afternoon.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am a "princess camper". food is most important for an enjoyable camping experience. :smile:

Marlene

… a baked brie to nibble on in the afternoon.

That's my kind of camping!

No real plans that I know of, but probably a barbeque (because it's too darn hot to even contemplate cooking on the stove), and hopefully lots and lots of fresh strawberries if we go strawberry picking Thursday.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

We're having the Third Annual Canada Day Fonduefest. This very successful event grew out of a conversation in which everyone was waxing nostalgic about how no one ever does fondue anymore. So we set up long tables on the lawn, have everyone bring a fondue (any kind) and fondue our little hearts out. Anyone who doesn't have a fondue pot can bring a salad. There are usually plenty of chocolate fondues to take care of dessert. Plus, strawberries are perfect right now.

We'll be doing something or other, but I don't know what yet. Canada Day is my wife's birthday, and she's requested a brie tart like the one I made a few weeks ago; so that part of the menu's set. I'll also be pulling together a big ol' salad from the garden.

From there, I've got no plans as of yet. I mean, come on...that's a whole three days away! Having my menu planned out would be like...like...buying Christmas presents before Christmas Eve...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm going to a bbq on July 1st and another one on July 2nd. I don't know what 's on the menu for Canada Day, but I'm bringing brownies and a pecan pie. On July 2nd, my friends are going to buy 2 dozen fresh oysters per person, and grill the standard sausages/burgers/steak. I'm bringing a caramel cheesecake to that bbq.

undergad degree at SUC Fredonia

Not at all related to food ... but my cousin was an art prof there... how odd. Actually, it is food related as he worked as a waiter for my family for years :biggrin:

We are moving our business this week - we must be out by July 1st. It's 11:00 PM here and I was just sent home because I pulled something in my shoulder at some point today - loading or unloading the moving truck - and they told me to go get some rest so I can get back to work tomorrow. We're also catering 3 functions this weekend (Sat - Am & PM , Sun PM).

Although I thought I would be able to do something (AKA - BBQ), I'm now beginning to think I'll be in the synagogue baking and prepping on Friday.... SO, it's up in the air now.

I'm thinking a really Canadian thing to do would be to have some chinese or thai or something ethnic - or maybe better than that a bunch of different things - very 'multiculteral'. Any easy to do (or order) ideas would be great :smile:

I'm thinking a really Canadian thing to do would be to have some chinese or thai or something ethnic - or maybe better than that a bunch of different things - very 'multiculteral'.  Any easy to do (or order) ideas would be great  :smile:

hi Pam R--

i'm agreeing--why don't you/we make accras de morue/bacalaou/salt cod fritters, and draw on both Newfoundland's and our Portuguese/Jamaican/other backgrounds?

it's like salt cod gnocchi, but deep-fried. in a fluffy semolina-mashed potato base.

i can test a recipe this aft if there's interest...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

hi Pam R--

i'm agreeing--why don't you/we make accras de morue/bacalaou/salt cod fritters, and draw on both Newfoundland's and our Portuguese/Jamaican/other backgrounds?

it's like salt cod gnocchi, but deep-fried. in a fluffy semolina-mashed potato base.

i can test a recipe this aft if there's interest...

It sounds wonderful - but at the rate I'm going (I've eaten in 5 fast food restaurants in the last 3 days), I won't have time to cook anything at home this week. I'm thinking I'll pick up some stuff or order in.

If a miracle occurs and we finish up early on Friday, and it stops raining, a BBQ MAY occur. Since we sell all of the meats we might need, it's something I can pull off last minute - we'll see.

Can you make the fritters with fresh cod? They sound great.

I'm thinking a really Canadian thing to do would be to have some chinese or thai or something ethnic - or maybe better than that a bunch of different things - very 'multiculteral'.  Any easy to do (or order) ideas would be great  :smile:

One year I followed that train of thought, and as a result our Canada Day meal was moose curry served over couscous. :biggrin: It was pretty good.

This year I wimped out, and just did steaks and baked potatoes to go with the aforementioned leek-and-brie tart and green salad. For dessert, I made the wife an ice-cream birthday cake. On the bottom, rum syrup-soaked chocolate genoise, surrounded by chocolate ice cream. Middle layer; a "bullseye" of vanilla ice cream, surrounded by last summer's frozen cherries & berries compote, surrounded by a ring of vanilla ice cream. Top layer, chocolate genoise surrounded and covered by chocolate ice cream. Garnished with whipped cream and fresh cherries.

Yum.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In between catering and moving and running to costco to buy two chest freezers because we don't have a walk-in freezer yet and our other 8 freezers were full I sent my father to our store and told him to pick up a package of anything he could find for us to throw on the bbq. We had grilled chicken burgers, chicken hot dogs, beef dogs, lamb merguez and garlic salami. My sister contributed some rice thingy and a bunch of fresh veggies. That (and a trip to TCBY) was Canada Day for us. At least we bbq'd :)

Happy (belated) Canada Day

Between 4 people, we shared 120 fresh Fanny Bay oysters. :wacko:

We had about 10 people over, and spent over 10 hours constantly eating. It was quite disgusting :laugh: We had burgers, chicken burgers, various types of sausages, the caramel cheesecake, an enormous 7-layer dip, shrimp, bbq'ed chicken, and lots of other snacks.

My friend ate a huge slice of cheesecake in under 2 minutes, then he had a burger with 3 huge patties in it, and then he had a burger with both a chicken patty and a burger patty. He cleansed his palate in between this gluttony with the snacks and oysters. Amazing. :shock:

Because I ended up at the mall (patriotic duty to improve the national economy by shopping), I ate some greasy Chinese (S&S Pork, Sesame Chicken, and some kind of fried broad rice noodle thing, quite good for mall food). Later I also had Thai takeout (no idea what dishes, other than some really good green curry, as I didn't order, but it was good!), so that was a nice multicultural day of food. :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Canada Day 2005

For breakfast on Canada Day, I made Canukisconz-my regular yogurt scone recipe with dried cranberries added for that red and white referance. I used organic flour from Chiliwak, and Canadian organic rolled oats. We had these with sour cream, Mexican mangos and California strawberries (the local ones were sold out). So it was kind of like NAFTA shortcake, (not that I'm endorsing that particular treaty-au contraire.)

Then for lunch we went for Pho because my partner was getting the flu and felt like some good soup. For dinner I made a salad and a mushroom risotto with Crimini shrooms, and I made a maple risotto cheesecake for dessert. I was trying out a recipe for our family Canada Day dinner, which we actually celebrated on Sunday. The cake didn't turn out well. It was very small, sad, and weepy. My partner asked if I squeezed the ricotta. Nope, I didn't squeeze the ricotta. I had also substituted some chevre for some of the cream cheese because P is somewhat lactose intolerant, but chevre is so expensive it would have cost me too much to put in more. Anyway, live and learn. I made a maple leaf pattern out of raspberries on top, which looked more like a marijuana leaf (!). I also put maple praline pecans on top that my son liked much more than the cake.

Our celebration went on all weekend. On Saturday we took two wild salmon to P's work BBQ, which was a potluck. On Sunday I made a huge chocolate cheesecake from a Cooks.com recipe that turned out just fine. Phew! That time I chose a very simple basic recipe and decorated it with fresh raspberries and chocolate chips (sans the marijuana leaf). Aunt Caroline brought a vanilla cheesecake with blueberry sauce which was just fantastic (hers was so much better than mine because she whipped the egg whites seperately). Everyone had a piece of each with La Frenz Alexandria. The dessert wine wasn't really a cheesecake wine-better with apple pie or on its own.

For the main course we had a big fat barbecued turkey.

I'll definitely be experimenting with ricotta cheesecakes this summer, so if people have some tried and true recipes, I'd really appreciate it.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

BBQ'd Back ribs, potato salad and corn, followed by a rhubarb (from my garden) strawbwerry (local farmer) pie. All delicious. Served on the deck, overlooking the water, sun shining washed down with some good wine in the company of good friends. What more could you ask for in this wonderful country of ours?

On Canada Day Morning I made apple pancakes with maple syrup, which my four year old rejected summarily- he doesn't like any body messing with his pancakes!

I also drank enough coffee to make me a bit whacked out for the rest of the day.

Normally we spend Canada Day at Granville Island, but it looked like rain, so we decided to try Canada Place, which was wall to wall people- in my highly caffienated state, intolerable.

I had a Gyros there and way too many mini doughnuts. Then we fled.

We postponed our barbecue plans till the next day, and then I made two kinds of ribs, one in my favourite homemade Barbecue sauce and one marinated in lemon, garlic and oregano. I did corn on the cob, which again my son would not eat (a kid who doesn't like corn on the cob, go figure). His dad ate it all anyway. I also grilled zucchini and dressed it with olive oil, lemon, and mint from the garden.

We at on the patio overlooking the park. Yay! Lovely.

The rest of the weekend we were eating leftover ribs, rib sandwiches etc, and there is STILL some in the fridge. Sigh. Mr annanstee WOULD insist that I cook them all.

I also made chocolate chip walnut banana bread and pecan maple banana bread, as the freezer was overflowing with over-ripe bananas.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 11 months later...

Same question, different year. We're less than a week away.

I'm thinking of one of three things - a day trip up to Winnipeg Beach for some fried pickerel; another grilled hot dog, hamburger, chicken or steak meal; or something completely different. Pulling out the butane burner and having hot pot on the deck (I'd be just a little concerned that a Canada Goose would land in it :shock: )

Can't decide.

Any interesting plans this year?

Winnepeg has a beach? :biggrin: Hopefully, I'll be cruising on Canada Day, so we'll take a little Canadian flag with us and perhaps plant it in our pate as we nosh on the balcony. :biggrin:

Marlene

I'm not fond of places like the Forks on holidays like Canada Day.

And the city itself doesn't have a beach, but in a province with 100,000 lakes, they aren't far away!

I would go to Winnipeg Beach which is located about an hour north of the city on the shores of Lake Winnipeg (it is the 11th largest freshwater lake in the world - larger than Ontario and Erie and home to a big fishing industry). :wink: But you could go to any number of lakes within a couple of hours of the city.

But I suppose for those wanting to stay closer to town, they could go to Birds Hill Park and have a picnic on that beach for Canada Day.

I'm making smoked cheddar( if I can find it here) stuffed chicken breasts with green apple slaw. This came from the august 05 issue of Bon Appetite. Coincidentally, the recipe came from Ted Reader( a Canadian who is "king of the Q).

I think I'm also making a cherry streusel pie from the same issue.