• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beacon Theater area

mikep

Taking(well,actually dragging) my wife to see Meat Loaf at the Beacon Theater and I promised to bring her in for a great meal.My question is,on a Friday night where is a good restaurant to go and is it better to go before or after an 8 o'clock show.Really wanted to go to Babbo but am thinking it may be tough to get a meal in and then trek the 60 blocks over.Any reccomendations would be very appreciated.We will de driving in from Jersey.

Thanks

Mike

Please give us your price range and time frame.

Price doesn't matter,would rather not have to "get dressed" as we'll be sitting through a three hour concert.Date is Aug.9.Show is from 8-11.We can be in the city as early as 5,and leave whenever.Im not sure if dining after is even a possibility but we are game for any time,any cuisine.The more daring the better.

I suppose it isn't likely for you to snag a reservation at Per Se, but you could try. That was the first name that came to mind. Of course, there are other likely suspects at the Time Warner Center.

Michael aka "Pan"

'Cesca is nice, delicious and a bunch more affordable than Per Se. Also, a lot more casual than the Time Warner scene.

In terms of daring, there's Onera, on West 79th St. and I believe they do an offal menu if you give them a day or two heads up.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mike,

As a long time subscriber to the Met, I know what it's like to try and get reservations at any restaurant in that general vicinity. I think you'll have much more luck with an early reservation than a late one, particularly on a Friday night.

One of my personal favorites in that area is Picholine, but I'm a sucker for a great cheese course. The others already mentioned would be good as would Oeust. Vince and Eddies (while not having the best food in the world) is charming. If you like Turkish food, there's Pasha, and the dress code wouldn't be an issue there.

Have fun at the concert!

Amy

I'd loudly second the recommendation of Ouest - pretty casual, but delicious food, and a very fun and unexpectedly neighborhood-y vibe.

Another of my favorites in the area (though it might be a bit far from your final destination) is Pomodoro Rosso on Columbus. The atmostphere is a little cheezy, but the food is really quite good, and very reasonable. No reservations, though...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Ouest has gotten much coverage, and mixed reviews from eGullet members in the past. Here are the search results for all threads with "Ouest" in the title, for your reading pleasure. (Some of these may be merged, eventually.) However, I'll note that, at posting time, the most recently any of these threads has been posted to was 29th July 2003. Maybe some of you would like to post more recent meal reports or general observations in one of those threads.

Michael aka "Pan"

I went to the Beacon a few years ago to see Meatloaf - dragged by my husband but I loved every minute of it. He was terrific. We happened to go with a big group of friends and ate at Nikos on Broadway - by all means not "special" but the food was good it was very close and we had great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Ellies (on W 79th - if it's still there) serves meatloaf.

@SQC is near the Beacon on Columbus and 73rd.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Decided to take a chance that a 5:45 reservation at Babbo is early enough to jump on the subway and stll make the 8:00 start.Thanks for the suggestions though.I will be trying out Ouest and Onera in August.My wife prefers "safer food"before the show.Ill report back on the evening.Again thanks.

MIke

Taking(well,actually dragging) my wife to see Meat Loaf at the Beacon Theater and I promised to bring her in for a great meal.

Hey, cool! Meat Loaf tix were my mothers day gift this year. We're going to Cesca at 5:30. Anyone been?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 11 months later...

Had a terrific dinner on the UWS tonight...the place is called Bello Sguardo, and it's on 80th and Amsterdam. I was surprised that there isn't a thread on it, as we had a very good meal with decent service and reasonable prices. The place is billed as Mediterranean cuisine, and there is a good mix of tapas/meze along with a few more American dishes for the non-adventurous, which is the reason we chose it.

Three apps ordered; a $4.95 special of "carmelized zucchini with Kalamata olives, tarragon and lemon was fantastic. #2 was a corn meal-crusted calamari, and #3 was described as a roasted eggplant salad, which turned out to be a spread (just shy of hummus consistency)--it was interesting, but I probably wouldn't order it again.

Entrees were the lamb shank w/Israeli couscous, which was terrific, albeit a tad heavy in this weather, imo; I had the beet risotto w/walnuts and Montrachet goat cheese (and a glass of Brancott Sauvignon Blanc); one friend had a special of scallops with papardelle that she loved, and her husband (a true non-eater) had the steak frites and was content (not that there's anything wrong with steak frites). We skipped dessert and coffee b/c they were headed to the theater. Prices were very reasonable ($3.95-$9 for apps, $14-$24 for entrees) but I didn't see the final bill b/c our friends treated us.

I'll definitely go back, esp b/c I never know where to go in that neighborhood, which is why I wanted to add it to this thread.

Bello Sguardo

410 Amsterdam Avenue at 80th St

Phone: (212) 873-6252

They don't appear to have a web site.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."