• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serving asparagus...

Megan Blocker

I am planning on serving the following menu for a "carpet picnic" (too hot and disgusting here in Manhattan to eat outside) on July 4th:

Prosecco

Cold roast chicken

Green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette

Cool steamed asparagus with herb mayonnaise

Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches

I'm trying to figure out what herbs to add to the mayonnaise served with the asaparagus...

Any thoughts?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

None;any herb will overpower the asparagus. Just a little lemon will do nicely.

Puree some aparagus if you need it green,

Good call, good call. I like it!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

how about sorrel? or lemon verbena? or Chervil?.... all should be available at the Union Square Market or you can make a really pretty one with chive blossoms

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I made an orange mayonnaise a couple weeks for a BBQ with grilled asparagus and peppers, it was wonderful! It was the first time I saw my 7 and 9 year old eat asapagus, they actually didn't stop until it was gone.

I mixed the mayo with orange juice, lemon juice, orange zest and a bit of cayenne.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

For asparagus? I'd use a little cayenne, some garlic, and a bit of tarragon.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I like to make mayonaisse with lemon thyme- very good, slightly herbal but not overpowering. If I don't want to make mayo from scratch, I do half mayo, half sour cream or creme fraiche, salt, pepper, and lemon thyme.

The citrus only ideas are nice.

If you feel like some green herbal touches though, I would go for a mix of fresh parsley, tarragon, chervil, chives. (2x parsley over other herbs) Also nice to add would be some lemon juice and lemon zest.

It will look pretty and should not be overpowering. If using tarragon though, add it sparingly to taste, as it does not take a lot to contribute its flavor.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

None;any herb will overpower the asparagus. Just a little lemon will do nicely.

Puree some aparagus if you need it green,

Don't forget, these Americans don't get the REALLY good asparagus :raz:

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Alas its nearly the end of the Asparagus season here as well.

Fabien (fabienpe) served for lunch last Sunday a fabulous dish of asparagus (properly peeled), with morels, demi glace and sauce mousseline. Elegant, seasonal and divine. We drank a Gewurz (Trimbach 2000 I think) with it.

(Talking of divine, Sauce Divine - Mousseline with sherry - would also work)

Edited by jackal10 (log)

• 4 weeks later...
I am planning on serving the following menu for a "carpet picnic" (too hot and disgusting here in Manhattan to eat outside) on July 4th:

Prosecco

Cold roast chicken

Green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette

Cool steamed asparagus with herb mayonnaise

Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches

I'm trying to figure out what herbs to add to the mayonnaise served with the asaparagus...

Any thoughts?

I like thining the mayo out with some seasoned/garlic rice vinegar. Another idea is to use olive oil as a base instead of mayo. I have a lime olive oil that works great. i can imagine a hazelnut oil or truffle oil would work well.