• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The glory of fast food past

Does anyone remember The Red Barn? It was your basic McD's knock off.

What I remember most about this place was not the food, but their characters. The Red barn's version of Ronald McDonald were "The Hungries". There was Fish Hungry and Hamburger Hungry & Chicken Hungry. They even had a theme song that you can hear at The Red Barn nostalgia page. Sad thing is ... I still remember the words!

Funny how Hamburger Hungry looks an awful lot like Ernie from Sesame Street :hmmm:

A.

Oh yes. Red Barn. They had the best kids meals but I can't remember what they were called... I think they might have had a chicken leg in them. Mmmm. Their remains can be seen all over this area... they kept the buildings, but made them into used car lots. Seriously. The ones that were in Ravenna and south Akron are now used car lots and the one in Cuyahoga Falls is a clothing outlet that has a big sign out front that advertises "Baby Phat is here!" The one is Kent is now a restaurant that specializes in German food and steaks as big as your head.

Interesting. At least five or six posts from people reminiscing about McDonald's french fries which were changed in the fall of '66. I have posted numeous times on here, Roadfood and Chowhound that there is ONE place on earth that still serves McDonald's original french fries from pre September '66: Dick's in Spokane, WA. NOT the Dick's in Seattle which is a different chain but the Dick's in Spokane. They are the EXACT same french fries which were duplicated by the owner when McD turned him down for a franchise in the late '50's and he went to Southern CA, worked in a McD for a month and then returned to Spokane and opened Panda which later became Dick's. He used the same suppliers as McD used in Orange County, the same 70% animal fat to fry the potatoes in. He totally duplicated the original McD formula which is printed on the wall of their museum store in Downey. Ironically, today, he having been turned down almost 50 years ago for a McD franchise now is the only place left on earth which sells McD original potatoes.

There is a McD down the street from him in Spokane. It does poorly. Him? USA Today several years ago noted that he has the second highest grossing independent fast food franchise in America!

I don't know how many people read posts on here and elsewhere but hopefully someone will rediscover a piece of their childhood from this post.

Joe Heflin

PS: He also has McD's original shakes.

Big Mac with quarter pounder meat.

I had a McDondalds manager in Lake Placid make me a Big Mac with QP patties ( I was kinda a regular there ). . . . It truly WAS wicked good.

Other than that, I don't think you can screw with the "chemistry" of the Big Mac too much, without some negative consequence. . . . It's nearly perfect, as is.

One of my childhood memories was eating a "Club Burger" at Carroll's

YES! Carroll's! :smile: I was just thinking about them the other day. I grew up in Syracuse, and when we wanted fast food in the 60's, that was where we went.

McDonalds didn't show up until much later.

V

When I was a young buck, I was a big fan of the Taco Bell Enchirito. 

There was a Taco Bell about half a mile from my school, and if you managed to sneak out of art class 2 -3 minutes early, you could get there and beat the rush.  Glom on the hot sauce, power down 3 or 4 and you're back to school just in time.  I think they were under a buck, and they had sliced black olives somewhat decoratively arranged on top.

Then, they disappeared.

Just recently, I happened into a Taco Bell, and lo and behold, the Enchirito was back on the menu!

I steadied my jangling nerves and ordered a couple, with trepidation.

They weren't under a buck anymore.

They didn't have the (somewhat) artfully arranged black olive slices.

I glommed on the hot sauce, and dug in.

I came damn close to the summer of '79. 

The purple 440 GTX my buddy and I flew to the Taco Bell, the stifling return to non air - conditioned classrooms, and the smokin' hot English teacher in her gauzy sundresses.

I sighed, put down my spork, and realized, you can never go back.

Food, even fast food, is fucking amazing.

Steve

I've always loved these and was sad to see them go (I still miss the Beefy Tostada, maybe they'll bring it back someday). I was thrilled to see them back on the menu, and I agree they taste about the same (although I miss the three black olive slices, too). I always order one when I go.

This was our all time favorite munchie food. I think I'll stop in taco bell, I didn't know they were back. guess I'll put my own olives on. Wonder if they'll taste the same without being under the infulence????we'll see!!

When I was a young buck, I was a big fan of the Taco Bell Enchirito. 

There was a Taco Bell about half a mile from my school, and if you managed to sneak out of art class 2 -3 minutes early, you could get there and beat the rush.  Glom on the hot sauce, power down 3 or 4 and you're back to school just in time.  I think they were under a buck, and they had sliced black olives somewhat decoratively arranged on top.

Then, they disappeared.

Just recently, I happened into a Taco Bell, and lo and behold, the Enchirito was back on the menu!

I steadied my jangling nerves and ordered a couple, with trepidation.

They weren't under a buck anymore.

They didn't have the (somewhat) artfully arranged black olive slices.

I glommed on the hot sauce, and dug in.

I came damn close to the summer of '79. 

The purple 440 GTX my buddy and I flew to the Taco Bell, the stifling return to non air - conditioned classrooms, and the smokin' hot English teacher in her gauzy sundresses.

I sighed, put down my spork, and realized, you can never go back.

Food, even fast food, is fucking amazing.

Steve

I've always loved these and was sad to see them go (I still miss the Beefy Tostada, maybe they'll bring it back someday). I was thrilled to see them back on the menu, and I agree they taste about the same (although I miss the three black olive slices, too). I always order one when I go.

This was our all time favorite munchie food. I think I'll stop in taco bell, I didn't know they were back. guess I'll put my own olives on. Wonder if they'll taste the same without being under the infulence????we'll see!!

Unfortunately, nothing tastes the same whilst not under the influence...

Also unfortunately, I doubt it appropriate to show up at the French Laundry with the munchies... though, it would make for an interesting post if anyone is game...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

One of my childhood memories was eating a "Club Burger" at Carroll's

Carrol's (I think it only had one L) was a great place. I grew up near Hudson, NY, and it was a major event when Carrol's opened their store in town. At the time, I think the nearest McDonald's was in Albany. Carrol's were all converted to Burger King's in the 1970's. The Club Burger was a good sandwich. They had good milkshakes too. I remember the panicked look of the Carrol's workers when our high school team bus would pull in after a game.

Dave

Roy Rogers' Double R Burger

Hardee's Hot Ham & Cheese

MMMMMM!!! with that killer horseradish sauce. We actually still have a RR here in NJ but no RR burger.

The Roy's of like 25 years ago, though. After it went thru several restructurings and mergers, the Roy's burger ain't what it used to be. I remember being able to go to the salad bar and pile that burger on with trimmings. And it was decent beef too.

Hardee's also had a pretty damn good burger years ago as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Roy Rogers' Double R Burger

Hardee's Hot Ham & Cheese

MMMMMM!!! with that killer horseradish sauce. We actually still have a RR here in NJ but no RR burger.

The Roy's of like 25 years ago, though. After it went thru several restructurings and mergers, the Roy's burger ain't what it used to be. I remember being able to go to the salad bar and pile that burger on with trimmings. And it was decent beef too.

Hardee's also had a pretty damn good burger years ago as well.

Are there still Roy Roger's for real? The only ones I know of now are at rest-stops on the Jersey Turnpike, and those hardly count.

There used to be one on Main St. in Newark, DE, I loved the Frisco burger. The space was then occupied by an Italian Bistro, but they knocked down some sacred tree to they were cursed (or at least so the newspaper said, gotta love the News Journal), now, I'm not sure what is there.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow, last I had heard they had been bought out by Hardees (not that that is a bad thing per se, Hardess is my favorite FF joint next to Wendy's, but Wendy's has been slipping lately).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I remember a place called Artic Circle in a little town of Clearfield Ut. When I was growing up they made a incredable shrimp sand. When they took it off the menu I have never seen one since.

Michael

That which does not kill you makes you stronger

I miss KFC's Chicken Littles...

Those little morsels of fried chicken slathered in mayonnaise are perhaps my fondest chicken sandwich memory.

I agree, those were wonderful. The Krystal Chik can only dream of becoming the wonderful Chicken Little.

In the quad cities (Rock Island, Moline, E. Moline, IL and Davenport IA) circa 1954, there was one of the first fast food places ever. I think the name was Chicken Delight. The dinner consisted of fried chicken, French fries (?) and a little cup of cranberry sauce. I remember it being quite good, and putting a nice finish to an evening with a date I didn't particularly care for.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Taco Bell seems to have been popping up in several threads lately, and in each one someone starts wistfully recalling a now defunct menu item known as the "Bell Beefer".  Now, I personally can't recall ever having seen this item, and don't even know what it is, but it is interesting that so many people miss it.

It was genius in its simplicity. Taco Bell taco meat piled on a bun. Also known to some as a "Sloppy Joe" or "loose meat sandwich". Taco Bell probably dropped it so they wouldn't have to go through the extra expense of buying buns anymore. :angry: Who else makes a fast-food Sloppy Joe?

I've mentioned this before in another discussion but I miss Jack-in-the-Box's Frings. It was a french fry container half-filled with french fries and half-filled with onion rings.

I've gotten so tired of fast food french fries that I can't look another one in the "eye". :rolleyes::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Taco Bell seems to have been popping up in several threads lately, and in each one someone starts wistfully recalling a now defunct menu item known as the "Bell Beefer".  Now, I personally can't recall ever having seen this item, and don't even know what it is, but it is interesting that so many people miss it.

It was genius in its simplicity. Taco Bell taco meat piled on a bun. Also known to some as a "Sloppy Joe" or "loose meat sandwich". Taco Bell probably dropped it so they wouldn't have to go through the extra expense of buying buns anymore. :angry: Who else makes a fast-food Sloppy Joe?

I've mentioned this before in another discussion but I miss Jack-in-the-Box's Frings. It was a french fry container half-filled with french fries and half-filled with onion rings.

I've gotten so tired of fast food french fries that I can't look another one in the "eye". :rolleyes::laugh:

Actually, I wasin Gaithersburg, MD the other day, and I saw a standalone Roy Rogers franchise (glory of glories, I guess they really are back). I seem to recall a window poster advertising a sloppy joe there. (also a crab cake sandwhich, but that is another matter).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I honed my Popeye-sized forearms working as an ice cream scooper at Baskin-Robbins. Two flavors that I loved then were Here Comes the Fudge and Golden Delicious Apple Sherbert.

Oddly, not all customers shared my tastes. :huh: When offered a sample of the Golden Delecious Apple Sherbert, some tasters would make a scrunched-up Mr. Yuk face or even gag.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

A few years ago we were 'at the lake' (Webster!) in New Hampshire and my uncle took us to a McDonald's. Why, all of us foodies wondered on the way, but when we got there, they had these up North sandwiches called lobster rolls. Being a kid from the Florida clan, I'd never had one of those. They were incredible! And, I think they were only about 3 bucks. I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger sandwich, how do they call those things burgers?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

A few years ago we were 'at the lake' (Webster!) in New Hampshire and my uncle took us to a McDonald's. Why, all of us foodies wondered on the way, but when we got there, they had these up North sandwiches called lobster rolls. Being a kid from the Florida clan, I'd never had one of those. They were incredible! And, I think they were only about 3 bucks. I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger sandwich, how do they call those things burgers?

Do the McDs lobster rolls really have real lobster in them? and in decent quantities? $3 sounds like an awesome deal, especially because I usually hear them going for quite a bit more in NE lobster shacks.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

We still have a free standing Roy Rogers - have had it since I was a kid & it's the only one I know about. The Jersey Turnpike Roys aren't very good but that could also be due to the fact that we're usually in them later in the evening since we usually leave for travel after work.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

We still have a free standing Roy Rogers - have had it since I was a kid & it's the only one I know about. The Jersey Turnpike Roys aren't very good but that could also be due to the fact that we're usually in them later in the evening since we usually leave for travel after work.

The Jersey Turnpike Roy Rogers' are never good, ever. Although, my friend Andrei loves to make a 'condiment salad' from the fixins bar.

The turnpike would actually have some fairly decent travel eats if Wawa could buy out the Sunoco contract and replace all of those stations with Wawa superstores.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Do the McDs lobster rolls really have real lobster in them? and in decent quantities? $3 sounds like an awesome deal, especially because I usually hear them going for quite a bit more in NE lobster shacks.

Here in the MAritimes, They still roll out the McLobster every summer. I alos noticed tham when we were in Maine. Here they cost between 6 and 7 bucks.

They do have real Lobster meat but not in huge quantaties. It is like a small sub bun NOY a new england style hot dog bun. It also seems to be hit or miss depending on the franchise. Some seem to have more lobster or more mayo, sometimes you get celery, sometimes not. I would hardley go out of my way for one but if you really had a lobster craving I guess it's better then one of those frozen cans of bits.

Here in the MAritimes, They still roll out the McLobster every summer. I alos noticed tham when we were in Maine. Here they cost between 6 and 7 bucks.

They do have real Lobster meat but not in huge quantaties. It is like a small sub bun NOY a new england style hot dog bun. It also seems to be hit or miss depending on the franchise. Some seem to have more lobster or more mayo, sometimes you get celery, sometimes not. I would hardley go out of my way for one but if you really had a lobster craving I guess it's better then one of those frozen cans of bits.

I had one a couple of summers ago when I first moved back to Maine. It was decent, but it tasted like frozen lobster meat to me.

Lobster rolls at a good restaurant or shack go for around $11-$15. The little cafe down the road from me is good friends with a great local seafood dealer, and offers very good (and full) lobster rolls for $7. Since I discovered that, I'll never go back to McDonald's again.

Unless they bring back the McDLT. :smile:

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry