• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The glory of fast food past

I also need to add my vote for McD's pizza and their fried apple pies. I suppose, though, that my vote for fried apple pies doesn't really count, since they still fry their apple pies here in Japan. I eat at McD's a lot more in Japan than I ever did in Canada! :biggrin:

They still fry them in Morocco, too...at least they did a few years ago. I know people think going to McD's when you're in a foreign country is a bad thing, but when it comes to fried apple pies, it's worth the dirty looks!

I miss Pioneer's Fried Chicken... it was a Southern California chain.

I miss the Bell Beefers, Original Enchiritos and some Cheesy Crunchy Chalupa thing they had at Taco Bell when I was pregnant with my daughter.

I miss the Crispy Burritos that they served at Carl's Jr in the 80's.

Oh... in the early 80's, Burger King had these cold ham and cheese sandwiches that my Dad used to buy us every Friday for a while... we'd sit on Mom and Dad's bed, listen to some radio show, and eat those sandwiches.

Edited by MomOfLittleFoodies (log)

Cheryl

When I saw that Taco Bell reintroduced the enchirito a few years back I let out an audible 'woohoo' and my wife gave me an embarassed look- I try, folks, but there are some things that I just cannot get her to understand...

I can only imagine her reaction if they ever bring back the Taco Bell Grande ( am I remembering the name correctly?)- it was made with a large fried flour tortilla shell that was crispy, flaky and delicate and threatened to crumble into a million pieces the second you unwrapped it. You definitely had to approach it with your logistics in place to get through the whole thing with minimal destruction, but I always thought that the price was worth it. You just couldn't beat the texture of that thing.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

When I was a young buck, I was a big fan of the Taco Bell Enchirito. 

There was a Taco Bell about half a mile from my school, and if you managed to sneak out of art class 2 -3 minutes early, you could get there and beat the rush.  Glom on the hot sauce, power down 3 or 4 and you're back to school just in time.  I think they were under a buck, and they had sliced black olives somewhat decoratively arranged on top.

Then, they disappeared.

Just recently, I happened into a Taco Bell, and lo and behold, the Enchirito was back on the menu!

I steadied my jangling nerves and ordered a couple, with trepidation.

They weren't under a buck anymore.

They didn't have the (somewhat) artfully arranged black olive slices.

I glommed on the hot sauce, and dug in.

I came damn close to the summer of '79. 

The purple 440 GTX my buddy and I flew to the Taco Bell, the stifling return to non air - conditioned classrooms, and the smokin' hot English teacher in her gauzy sundresses.

I sighed, put down my spork, and realized, you can never go back.

Food, even fast food, is fucking amazing.

Steve

I've always loved these and was sad to see them go (I still miss the Beefy Tostada, maybe they'll bring it back someday). I was thrilled to see them back on the menu, and I agree they taste about the same (although I miss the three black olive slices, too). I always order one when I go.

A&W used to offer Pappa, Mamma and baby burgers. all with different condiments on them. The burgers used to be pretty darn good at A&W, and of course, so was the root beer and root beer floats. They just don't make 'em like they used to!

A&W at one time experimented with different flavored ketchups, as I recall.

I also enjoyed the enchirito at Taco Bell. The one near me will stay make it on request even though it is not on the menu.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I'd like to add my votes for McDonald's McDLT and Popeye's Onion Rings as past fast food glories. Both deliciously memorable fast food experiences, and sorely missed. :sad:

What happened to Popeye's onion rings, and when? Do they not offer them any more, or did they replace them with the extruded-onion-derivative-coated-with-wallpaper-paste that other fast food joints serve? I haven't been to a Popeye's in several years and was unaware that their astonishingly good onion rings were no more.

Wholte-wheat doughnuts with powdered sugar at Chock Full O'Nuts and Chow Mein sandwiches on hamburger buns served with frosties, the drink you eat with a spoon, both at Woolworth's

I guess those whole wheat donuts had been around for a loooong time; I remember them fondly from my childhood. :wub: One of the few treats I got since I was a tubby kid; I guess Mom figured "Whole wheat, it's healthy" :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Does anybody remember a fast food restaurant called Burger Chef? We had them here in the midwest & I don't remember when they ceased to be, but this thread made me think about them. Has anybody esle heard of them? I remember they had great kids meals - and that was big for me since I was about 7 when I first went to one.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

Quite a few new McDs products have been introduced here in California. One of the McDs in Santa Barbara originated the Egg McMuffin and the first weekend it was on the menu in July 1974, was also a milestone in dog showing history: The last benched show of the Santa Barbara Kennel Club.

McDonalds had a stand set up at the polo grounds, site of the huge dog show- more than 4000 dogs entered, opening at 7:00 a.m. and had to send out for reinforcements by 8:00 because of the instant popularity of the breakfast which was served in a styro tray, open faced so one could add seasonings and condiments if desired. It was not yet available in other McDs because I went to one near my home in the Valley a few days later and asked for one and got a blank look. Also that store did not open until 11 a.m. at that time and it was a few months before the breakfast menu spread to most other stores.

That store has a plaque outside next to the entrance that states it was at this store that the Egg McMuffin was developed and first served.

A McDs in Bakersfield introduced the McSteak on a long French roll in the late 70s, made with grilled "minute" steaks layered with grilled onions. It was locally popular but apparently did not catch on because of the price which was much higher than anything previously on the menu. I never saw it at another store.

The same store also tried to introduce the McLongburger which was essentially an enlongated double patty served on a French roll. It also fell by the wayside. I liked both of these very much and believe that had they tried them again in a few years, as food prices in general rose and people became more accustomed to paying higher prices for fast food, they would have caught on.

At one time McDs also served a barbecue chicken sandwich on an oversized bun which I liked a great deal.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Does anybody remember a fast food restaurant called Burger Chef? We had them here in the midwest & I don't remember when they ceased to be, but this thread made me think about them. Has anybody esle heard of them? I remember they had great kids meals - and that was big for me since I was about 7 when I first went to one.

I do. There was one in Ravenna (Ohio) until probably 1981. I seem to remember them having a mushroom burger when no one else did.

We also had Rax here and they made chocolate chip milkshakes that were the bomb diggity.

There's a nice brief history of Burger Chef HERE. Back in the days when Burger Chef was the principal competitor to McDonald's, they certainly had the better hamburger. And they gave us, through their TV advertising, the deathless "Incrediburgable!"

I do. There was one in Ravenna (Ohio) until probably 1981. I seem to remember them having a mushroom burger when no one else did.

We also had Rax here and they made chocolate chip milkshakes that were the bomb diggity.

They did have a mushroom burger - you're right!! I'm so glad someone else remembers Burger Chef! I can't remember when they were gone from around here, but I remember I was probaly around 10 or 11. And we had a Rax right down the street from my high school - they had great sundaes! And the chocolate chip milkshakes were awesome! Thanks for bringing back that memory! :)

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

OK, this is fast food related but not really about the food.

Does anyone remember at Dunkin' Donuts, I think when you bought a certain size box of munchkins, you got this little card. It looked like a little sweet old lady with a flower in her hat. If you saved up like 12 of these little old lady cards and turned them in, you got a free box of munchkins.

I grew up in the Northeast, Long Island specifically. Don't know if this was a regional thing or what but nobody I have ever known seems to remember this?!?!?

The Yumbo musta been pretty good!! It's come up twice in detail. Don't you just love to hear what we remember most of junkfoods?

The BK Yumbo WAS a late '60's classic.

Living in S. Florida, I remember going to my Little League practices, and immediately afterwards my Mother would take me to Burger King. I remember thinking that the Whopper was the greatest thing I ever ate ( I had never had anything from McDonalds, either ). Then they started the YUMBO. Oh my God, they were fabulous. That sandwich became my post-practice staple.

Another one in S. Florida at the time was Royal Castle burgers. Much like White Castle burgers, and sold in dozen-donut -type boxes of 12 hamburgers. . . . Ungodly good.

Many people have put in a vote for the fried apple pie...well, what about the fried CHERRY pie? I loved them and would have one every time I went to Mickey D's. They got rid of them many years ago for some reason.

I grew up in San Jose (CA) and worked at one of the last remaining original design restaurants with the high arches on the sides and outside only seating. There were no inside seating because the inside only had some floor space to stand in front of the counter. I still vividly remember as a kid (late 60's) meeting Batman with the Batmobile and also Herman Munster with the Munster's car at this very same restaurant. I don't remember if it was Adam West I saw in person but I think I have a signed photo of AW as Batman back home in my mom's attick. Good times. Anyway, they too used to make their fries fresh cut and I would frequently make a meal out of them alone. They were awesome. Way better than In-N-Out's fries.

Bob

p.s. May favorite perk for working at MD? Big Mac with quarter pounder meat.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I'd like to add my votes for McDonald's McDLT and Popeye's Onion Rings as past fast food glories. Both deliciously memorable fast food experiences, and sorely missed. :sad:

What happened to Popeye's onion rings, and when? Do they not offer them any more, or did they replace them with the extruded-onion-derivative-coated-with-wallpaper-paste that other fast food joints serve? I haven't been to a Popeye's in several years and was unaware that their astonishingly good onion rings were no more.

At my Popeye's (Northern Virginia) onion rings are still on the menu. They're made to order but it's so worth the wait.

Does Wendy's still sell fried chicken parts, or just the strips??? I used to love me some Wendy's fried chicken. Mmmm, so SALTY!!!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Many people have put in a vote for the fried apple pie...well, what about the fried CHERRY pie?  I loved them and would have one every time I went to Mickey D's.  They got rid of them many years ago for some reason.

I grew up in San Jose (CA) and worked at one of the last remaining original design restaurants with the high arches on the sides and outside only seating.  There were no inside seating because the inside only had some floor space to stand in front of the counter.  I still vividly remember as a kid (late 60's) meeting Batman with the Batmobile and also Herman Munster with the Munster's car at this very same restaurant.  I don't remember if it was Adam West I saw in person but I think I have a signed photo of AW as Batman back home in my mom's attick.  Good times.  Anyway, they too used to make their fries fresh cut and I would frequently make a meal out of them alone.  They were awesome.  Way better than In-N-Out's fries.

Bob

p.s. May favorite perk for working at MD?  Big Mac with quarter pounder meat.

Oh man, did you just hit a vibe with me. Cherry pies, I remember those back years... they got rid of them too fast.

Whoppers with Qp meat were just the beginning though. We had the deep fried quarter pounder, the half pounder, and eventually the pounder... with varrying amounts of cheese.

Also the MBX pattie and mcchicken filet sandwhich, beef and fried chicken all in one, who could ask for more?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I remember them right across the street from a burger king outside of Detroit. I had a cousin that worked there and would get us "back-door" deals on cases of frozen hamburgers. "Burger Chef and Jeff" The rest is pretty hazy, they havn't been around for a while.

Bode

I really miss the old McDonalds Hot Apple Pie. I know , they still have apple pie, but its different. The old one was deep fried and resembled a hot pocket more than its current slice of pie.

Word 'round the campfire is that the current KFC apple pies are a dead ringer for the McD pies of yore.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com