• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The glory of fast food past

The old Burger King onion rings. I don't know what's happened, but they just aren't the same.

Also, the McDonald's fried apple pies. God, those little molten crack pockets were the bomb. The baked ones don't even compare. Don't even bother. I suppose this is a good thing for the waist-line, though.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Also, the McDonald's fried apple pies. God, those little molten crack pockets were the bomb. The baked ones don't even compare. Don't even bother. I suppose this is a good thing for the waist-line, though.

They still fry them in Japan! And they're only Y100!

McD's also fries their apple pies in Morocco, or at least they did 7 years ago.

I wish they'd bring back their cherry pies. :wub:

In Huntington Beach CA, my mom would stop off at this little dive called Pup-n-Taco after a day at the beach. I really loved those tacos. Of course, I was only 5 the last time I went there. When I was older and moved back to the area, they were gone.

And I miss the nasty chicken fajitas at McD's with the old picante sauce they used to have. Even when eating them I knew they were foul, yet stangely irrestible. Like my ex-husband.

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

Hardee's Hot Ham and Cheese.

Burger Chef burgers.

The old Caramel Sundaes that Dairy Queen used to make. They used to have a more "burnt sugar" sort of flavor.

The old, old KFC original recipe. I mean the one in the early 1970's.

In Huntington Beach CA, my mom would stop off at this little dive called Pup-n-Taco after a day at the beach. I really loved those tacos. Of course, I was only 5 the last time I went there. When I was older and moved back to the area, they were gone.

And I miss the nasty chicken fajitas at McD's with the old picante sauce they used to have. Even when eating them I knew they were foul, yet stangely irrestible. Like my ex-husband.

I remember Pup N Taco... those were pretty good tacos. My aunt used to take us to one in Covina all the time.

Cheryl

I haven't tried to order a sundae at McD's since I was maybe 14, so it came as a HUGE shock to me that they no longer carry caramel or strawberry toppings. Terrible.

Seriously, the hot caramel ones were the best $1.09 sundae in the world. I'm kinda craving one now.

I remember both the banana and mint shakes at Mcdonald's. That may have been my first experience in thinking "Why don't they always have this delicious glowing green shake... thing...

I'm quite certain I can't call them "Milk" shakes, because they tasted quite artificial back in the day.

But they were perversely good in a perversely good way.

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

McD no longer has caramel? How am I ever going to have a sundae turtle without it?

This thread is seriously making me miss my youth.

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

I'd have to estimate that about 27 years ago, Dairy Queen had a summer special called the "Peanut Buster Parfait". It was a rather delicious combo, if I recall correctly, of peanuts, chocolate, peanut butter and the ubiquitous vanilla soft - serve.

My girlfriend, buddy and I, accompanied by his extremely shy and somewhat bitchy girlfriend (who I didn't care a helluva lot for...) toddled up to the window to place our order, and I decided, in my teenage brilliance, that the proper way to order at that moment was to request a "PENIS Buster Parfait" loud enough for all to hear. She was less than thrilled, to say the least. My girlfriend at the time was unflappable, and that may have contributed... (her muffled snorts were music to my ears.)

I got a lot of mileage that summer for recommending a trip to Dairy Queen in their presence. Her response was pavlovian, visceral and quite hysterical (to me). Not so much to him, however.

Ah, the summers of years past.

If they still serve it, I highly recommend this approach to any young man in a similar circumstance.

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you...  did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate?  I remember this from when I was a kid, but so far I seem to be the only person who does.

I remember Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet! It was one of my favorites, back around 1978 or so. Really dark deep chocolate but orangy.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Taco Bell used to have Santa Fe gorditas, with corn that I really liked.

Oh yes... I loved those.

Like Haley's Comet, I await the return of the Burger King Rodeo Burger.

We still have them here in Virginia, in the 99 cent category.

When I was a teenager Roy Rogers did a taco meat and cheese stuffed baked potato that was so disgustingly gloppy and greasily good that I would gorge on them.

The other thing I miss was a weird little chip called "Chipsters". They had the looks of a thinly sliced packing peanuts, and were kind of bright yellow.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”