• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The glory of fast food past

I can't help but think that McDonald's pizza was probably as authentic as McDonald's cheesesteak.

Which, BTW, they had the chutzpah to sell in their Philadelphia-area outlets.

I believe the purpose of this thread was to talk about our fast food likes, not criticize people's choices. I think it's pretty safe to assume that if you're going to use "authentic" as your benchmark, none of the posts in this thread would apply. I like it because it tasted good. McDonald's french fries certainly aren't authentic Belgian frites, but plenty of folks go insane for them.

And McDonald's just started promoting it's cheesesteaks in Ontario this month. Authentic or not, if they taste good, I'll probably eat a few of them as well! *gasp*

I honed my Popeye-sized forearms working as an ice cream scooper at Baskin-Robbins.  Two flavors that I loved then were Here Comes the Fudge and Golden Delicious Apple Sherbert.

Oddly, not all customers shared my tastes.  :huh:  When offered a sample of the Golden Delecious Apple Sherbert,  some tasters would make a scrunched-up Mr. Yuk face or even gag.

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you... did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate? I remember this from when I was a kid, but so far I seem to be the only person who does.

I can't help but think that McDonald's pizza was probably as authentic as McDonald's cheesesteak.

Which, BTW, they had the chutzpah to sell in their Philadelphia-area outlets.

I believe the purpose of this thread was to talk about our fast food likes, not criticize people's choices. I think it's pretty safe to assume that if you're going to use "authentic" as your benchmark, none of the posts in this thread would apply. I like it because it tasted good. McDonald's french fries certainly aren't authentic Belgian frites, but plenty of folks go insane for them.

And McDonald's just started promoting it's cheesesteaks in Ontario this month. Authentic or not, if they taste good, I'll probably eat a few of them as well! *gasp*

Okay, I'll accept the penalty call.

And I've scarfed down enough McDonald's fries over the course of my lifetime to know that they are damned good.

I just find it a little -- amusing? -- strange? -- when Mickey D's attempts to go far afield from what it knows how to do best (add the McRib to the examples already given). IMO the results aren't as satisfying as a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, and sometimes--as with a Philadelphian who has access to the genuine article, a masterpiece of fast food in its own right--it invites unfortunate comparison.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

P.S. There are some Philadelphians who assert that if an establishment resorts to calling its sandwiches "Philly (or Philadelphia) cheesesteaks," they probably aren't. I don't think McDonald's did this, though.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I honed my Popeye-sized forearms working as an ice cream scooper at Baskin-Robbins.  Two flavors that I loved then were Here Comes the Fudge and Golden Delicious Apple Sherbert.

Oddly, not all customers shared my tastes.  :huh:  When offered a sample of the Golden Delecious Apple Sherbert,  some tasters would make a scrunched-up Mr. Yuk face or even gag.

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you... did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate? I remember this from when I was a kid, but so far I seem to be the only person who does.

I don't remember the name but do I remember the flavor - very popluar with adults I believe

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you...  did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate?  I remember this from when I was a kid, but so far I seem to be the only person who does.

I don't remember the name but do I remember the flavor - very popluar with adults I believe

I believe the name was Mandarin Chocolate, and a quick search on Google brought up some other people's recollections and a couple of make alike recipes.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Ohh! Guilty Pleasure topic! :)

McRib - I love these also! I see them here in Florida about once a year or so. I then proceed to order them all the time and get sick of them.. Repeat Cycle

Shamrock Shakes (the mint shake at McD's) - OMG.. I *heart* these with some hot fries. There are only a few franchises in my area that cary it and they generally only have it for a week or so. Argh.

Fried Apple Pies - Everytime I am overseas I check the McDonalds for these. I have gotten them recently in Tokyo and Mexico. they ROCK.

I also loved the Wendy's Superbar.... There was one near me up until '99 or so..

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you...  did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate?  I remember this from when I was a kid, but so far I seem to be the only person who does.

I believe the name was Mandarin Chocolate, and a quick search on Google brought up some other people's recollections and a couple of make alike recipes.

Marcia.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Not only am I not insane, I can now try to make it in our ice cream maker...

Marcia.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Not only am I not insane, I can now try to make it in our ice cream maker...

Madarin Chocolate was a Ben and Jerry's flavor now in the flavor graveyard - it was pretty good.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Doesn't quite fit in with the fast food theme that seems to be going on, but I WISH they still made Jell-O Pudding pops. God they were good.

My favorite was the chocolate vanilla swirl.

Jell-O pudding pops are back under the Popsicle umbrella. I bought them about two months ago. They come in chocolate, vanilla and your beloved chocolate/vanilla swirl. They still taste almost as good as I remember them as a kid. And I still enjoyed the icy/crunchy exterior of the pop. My favorite is chocolate.

As for fast food favorites that I miss:

McDonald's fries cooked in beef fat

McDonald's fried apple pies

Wendy's Monterey Ranch chicken sandwich

Burger King's honey mustard chicken baguette

Someone posted a while back that the KFC Little Bucket parfaits were gone. But I still see them sold at all KFCs in my area. Chocolate and Strawberry. I also agree with the poster who said that KFC's cole slaw isn't as good as it used to be.

Be still my beating heart !!! I haven't seen these yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled !! Thanks ! :wub:

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Howard Johnson's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, and Howard Johnson's Fried Clams...

Wetson's (Everything on the menu!)...

Weston's...my husband waxes poetic about this place...I've never been there, but he gets all misty eyed about the fried veggie platter.

Bein a yungun, the only thing that really comes to mind is those damn Chicken Ranchero Soft Tacos. When they were around, I was actually working at TB. I cannot tell you all the things that sauce made its way into for lunch. I still think the place should make flautas... :raz:

Several people have mentioned the McD's hot apple pies, but they still carry them in my town's restaurant. In fact, the summer I worked there in college, it was one of my jobs to bake them. When I worked in the drive through, my boss told me to be sure to tell people that the coffee and the hot apple pies were HOT! I actually had it mentioned on my evaluation that she'd caught me not telling people that they were too hot to eat right away. :wacko:

I don't really eat them very often, but since they're only 2 for $1, my family will buy 10 or 12 to keep in the car for road trips.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Any of McD's fried items, including the apple pies, currently suck because of when they changed to the cholesterol-free vegetable oil some time ago from the beef tallow. It just doesn't taste the same.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BK's Rodeo Burger - we've still got 'em out here in the bay area (or at least the Burger King off the Holly St. exit in Redwood Shores/San Carlos does)! They're one of my guilty pleasures when I'm really starving and running errands... mostly because they're smaller than but taste similar to the Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburgers that were my reliable pre-midterm meal in college. BBQ sauce, onion rings and meaty burger, eaten slowly while sitting on flat carpeted-floor of the lunch-time crowded union, notebooks open in my lap, cramming details and formulas into my brain for a looming biology test... bite, chew, memorize (repeat). At least now I can eat the burger without the exams!

I don't know what it says about me that most of my "I miss"es are from McDonalds, but...

I miss:

The Arch Deluxe (with it's zesty Dijonaise mayo/grainy mustard sauce)

The REAL Filet o' Fish with the steamed bun

The Rye Melt (quarter pounder on Rye bun with cheese sauce and cooked onions)

The grilled cheese (off-menu item -- they'd take a regular bun, turn it inside out, stick a couple slices of cheese between it, and stick it in the bun toaster)

The old fried pies

The McRib, which I know returns periodically, but it's not as good as the one they originally test-marketed in Ottawa, Kansas back in the early 80's. I didn't see one again for almost 20 years.

Oh, and Pizza Hut's Priazzo double-layered pizza and Cavatini baked pasta dish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Well, not a food they no longer serve, but yet...

I totally remember the first time Burger King surfaced in our hood. I had to have been maybe eight? at that time. I remember so clearly the taste of a wonderful burger, fresh and honest, bursting the the taste of the very best cheese, onions, tomaTos and lettuce known to man.

Sadly, the taste / and quality have suffered so much so that it is no longer what I remember experiencing for that first time.. :angry:

---------------------------------------

I don't know what it says about me that most of my "I miss"es are from McDonalds, but...

I miss:

The Arch Deluxe (with it's zesty Dijonaise mayo/grainy mustard sauce)

The REAL Filet o' Fish with the steamed bun

The Rye Melt (quarter pounder on Rye bun with cheese sauce and cooked onions)

The grilled cheese (off-menu item -- they'd take a regular bun, turn it inside out, stick a couple slices of cheese between it, and stick it in the bun toaster)

The old fried pies

The McRib, which I know returns periodically, but it's not as good as the one they originally test-marketed in Ottawa, Kansas back in the early 80's. I didn't see one again for almost 20 years.

Oh, and Pizza Hut's Priazzo double-layered pizza and Cavatini baked pasta dish.

Kent D, thank you for assuring me I am no longer crazy. I have been talking to my friends about "this burger they used to have at McDonald's that I always asked to get after swim meets" - the Arch Deluxe. Now I know its name!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

In the quad cities (Rock Island, Moline, E. Moline, IL and Davenport IA) circa 1954, there was one of the first fast food places ever.  I think the name was Chicken Delight.  The dinner consisted of fried chicken, French fries (?) and a little cup of cranberry sauce.  I remember it being quite good, and putting a nice finish to an evening with a date I didn't particularly care for.

"Don't cook tonight!

Call Chicken Delight!"

That was their theme song. There was one on Locust Street in Davenport just across the street from Riefe's Drive-In restaurant.

I miss Ted's Drive-in in Davenport too! They had the $0.99 fish basket with real chunks of breaded deep fried fish, buttered toast, french fries, ketchup in a cup, and the best cole slaw I've eaten to this day!

Also miss Sandy's and Henry's Hamburger joints which were giving McD's a run for their money. Sandy's was really the best of the bunch, but Henry's had cheaper french fries!

Also miss the Happy Hollow Hamburger (also in Davenport). $0.25 per burger.

Also miss all the Maid-Rites that used to be around. Even the tiny town of DeWitt Iowa had like 9 buildings in the town and two of them were Maid-Rites!

And speaking of Riefe's Drive-in, I miss the "Whataburger". It was made from a large tall bun that was cut in to three pieces (top, middle, and bottom). It was a great burger, but the guy who made the buns started asking too much for them as only Riefe's was buying them. SO off the menu they went!

doc

The staff at our local Baskin-Robbins looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about this, so I'll try you...  did they once have a sherbet flavor that was something like mandarin orange and chocolate? 

They also at one time had "Tooti Fruiti" which I had to pick up 25 huge containers of for a party at the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club. Never seen that delicious flavor again! Asked for it for years afterwards and got the same stares of incredulity!

doc

Also miss Sandy's and Henry's Hamburger joints which were giving McD's a run for their money.  Sandy's was really the best of the bunch, but Henry's had cheaper french fries!

I think the former must have been the source of my gender confusion. :smile:

Like Coors beer, Sandy's hamburgers were something you could buy on the Kansas side of the metropolitan area but not the Missouri side.

But come to think of it, I really liked and miss Smaks, Kansas City's hometown fast-food burger chain.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 year later...

It's been almost 2 years since this baby saw the light of day, but it seems like the summer brings back the nostalgic ramblings of "The Glory of Fast Food Past."

Hopefully we can get her up on her feet again.

Enjoy!

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant