• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light Cream Sauce recipe wanted

bushey

We picked up some Lobster Ravioli yesterday, from Murray's Cheeses, and I'd like to serve them tomorrow night for my sweetie's birthday. Does anyone have a nice, light cream sauce recipe that would complement the ravioli? Or a suggestion for another type of sauce -- maybe a beurre blanc with fresh tomato dice?

bushey--i don't know what you mean by 'light'--i.e., light in colour, low fat, non-filling, etc. having said that, i'd go for the simplest most elegant route and just reduce some french shallots, tarragon, white wine, almost to dry, and then reduce some 15% cream in that until velvety.

pinch of nutmeg? small splash of Pernod-Ricard? you decide...

:-)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Thanks for responding so quickly! I realize I was somewhat ambiguous is using the term "light" -- what I mean is something not too heavy or rich. These suggestions are a great place to start.

I just made scallops with taragon caper butter sauce and it was really nice. Not meant to be tossed in but just drizzled over. Reduced 2 1/2 c. of white wine down to 3 tablespoons with bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme sprigs and shallots. Strained and whisked in 1/4 c. of cream and 6 TBS of butter. mixed in capers that had been previously pan fried in oil and chopped up tarragon.

gallery_16100_231_138962.jpg

or maybe even just do a brown butter sauce- that is so good and so simple.

I bought some house-made lobster ravioli from a local Italian market not long ago, and I asked the man that works there for his opinion on the best way to serve them. I too thought of a light cream sauce. But he suggested that I just toss them with a tiny bit of garlic and some butter, and perhaps some fresh herbs. I think this was a good suggestion, because the simplicity of the dressing really let the lobster shine through.

Buerre Blanc sounds good as well.

I'm thinking a light chicken broth/lemon juice/cream and a little vodka or white wine sauce with just a touch of diced tomato would be good with lobster ravioli.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

:biggrin: We carry a product called Tomato Powder. You would be shocked to learn which NYC restaurants use this exclusive of sauce. Chicken stock, little cream, some of the tomato powder and a splash of vodka, makes the lightest, richest sauce for Lobster or Cheese Ravioli. Tomato powder is probably available in your spice store, or email me for some samples.

I'm thinking a light chicken broth/lemon juice/cream and a little vodka or white wine sauce with just a touch of diced tomato would be good with lobster ravioli.

Edited by AK@Spicehouse (log)

A nice light nage with a biit of toasted saffron. Saute a bit of sallot until caramelized, add a bit of the liquid you use to cook the ravioli with and add cut butter a little bit at a time until it thickens. Meanwhile toast some saffron thread and crush it into the broth. Garnish with chives.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Decided to serve the lobster ravioli with brown butter, sprinkled with chives. They were delicious, and the presentation was very pretty -- I would have taken photos, but my family would have thought that was over the top........... :blink:.

We toured another part of the state last weekend, and one of our stops was at a store called "Bulk Food." I'm familiar with Gordons, etc., but this one was shelves and shelves of containers of dry herbs and spices and coconut and dried fruits and candy, etc. All of four long shelves was devoted to small-to-large containers of dry stuff, and my gotta-try-it kicked in bigtime.

I bought several familiar dried herbs, etc., some of every shape and size of dried coconut, fruit, fruit leathers, etc., and one was the dried tomato you speak of above. My thought was not "what can I make with this?" but "Hey! I don't have this one on my shelves!" (I was surely a Ferengi in another life--acquire, acquire).

So now, I have a use and a reason to get it down and try several sauces today. Maybe some nice juicy shrimp or crawfish in a light pink Nantua. Over rice or angelhair. Or a spoontip of the powder into a gentle bechamel with several cheeses, simply baked with penne. Or, WAIT!!! maybe a.........

Thanks for the incentive and the ideas.