• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triple H Day

suzilightning

it is one of those triple h days here in nw new jersey - hazy, hot and humid. just back from 2 hours of checking bluebird nests and yesterday i thought ahead enough to pop a bottle of a wine we picked up in florida into the fridge.

ok- it isn't a prestige brand, nor was it md 20/20 but it was really wonderful chilled. at 10%/ 20 proof it was light and crisp and was perfect for today, reminding me of vino verdes that i like to drink. it was something called Key Limen made with key lime and citrus fruit from a place called florida orange groves.

can you give me any other ideas for refreshing wines for the triple h's ahead?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

thaks brad - i'm not a big beer drinker though i am expanding my horizons over on the beer thread. unfortunately the quinine in tonic does a number on my heart rate. :shock:

really - think i'll have to stock up more reislings

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I like everything listed so far, and they would all probably tie for second place in my book. My #1 would be Prosecco.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Would it be despicable of me to suggest some of the cheaper bubblies? Frexienet makes something that isn't really evil and I can get it for <$10 US in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Otherwise, I'm firmly in the rose` camp.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Cedar Creek Ehrenfelser for wine.

Otherwise, my uncle Dennis' gin and tonic; you slice the lime, put the lime atop the ice, and pour the Gin through the lime. I don't know why it tastes better that way, but it does (Uncle Dennis and Aunt Cynthia ran a pub in England for years, and have been very helpful in re the pronunciation of various single malt scotch producers).

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

100% agreement on the Cedar Creek Ehrenfelser.

Unfortunately very few wine lovers outside of BC will get a chance to try it.

Pastis with ice cold water, vodka tonics and Super Bock beer from Portugal seem to be my current hot weather faves this year.

slowfood/slowwine

Make mine vodka tonic! Lots o' lime. Also a nice Cuba Libre made with light rum, Coke (diet for me) lots of ice, lots of lime.

For wine, I like to get an inexpensive sauvignon or chardonnay that I like and make spritzers, mix with club soda and serve over ice.

Make mine vodka tonic!  Lots o' lime.  Also a nice Cuba Libre made with light rum, Coke (diet for me) lots of ice, lots of lime.

For wine, I like to get an inexpensive sauvignon or chardonnay that I like and make spritzers, mix with club soda and serve over ice.

For the spritzers, not too much ice!

thanks,guys-

would love to try the cedar creek but have never seen it here in nw nj - usa. though i can get several types of ice wine from the niagra region with no problem.

ok- point of information. if someone were up in eastern canada- st. catherine's east, say. might they find this cedar creek? have a former coworker from that area.

sorry, no tonic. that quinine sends my heart racing like crazy. :sad:

miguelito - i do love vino verdes though most of the ones we see in the states are not the "freshest".

tongo - we should get together. i always have at least two kinds of prosecco in my cellar. in spring, when the apricots aren't ripe enough, i poach stoned halves in it then stuff the cooled apricot halves with mascarpone mixed with a lovely flavored honey. serve for dessert with the rest of the prosecco... :biggrin:

well, johnnybird is going to order two cases of the key limon wine. i think i may cut it with some lime seltzer for a spritzer when it gets nasty again around here.

happy drinking to all. and to all a big thank you(though you can keep those ideas flowing) :wink:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Anjou or Tavel or Bandol Rose

Lighter Loire, Styrian, Friulian, NZ Sauv Blanc

Soave

Light Valpolicella and Bardolino (not the expensive, highly extracted Valpos!)

Bugey Cerdan

Vouvray Petillant

Qba riesling from the MSR and Nahe

Swiss Fendant and Chasselas

Lightest Austrian Gruner Veltliner (with food)

Muscadet

Vinho Verde

Lighter styled Spanish Albarino

Dry white Graves, Entre-deux-Mers, etc. (if you find an example you like)

Well-made Aligote (they do exist and I love them)

and the list goes on...

Also, a big vote for Campari and soda!

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Well, lots of water, really. And if I'm feeling enterprising, homemade lemonade. But since this is the wine forum, I'll take the inzolia bianco from Regaleali (Sicily), a Winebow/Leonardo Locascio import.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

thanks,guys-

would love to try the cedar creek but have never seen it here in nw nj - usa.  though i can get several types of ice wine from the niagra region with no problem.

ok- point of information.  if someone were up in eastern canada- st. catherine's east, say.  might they find this cedar creek?  have a former coworker from that area.

:wink:

Possibly you might find it in a wine shop, although I don't really know how available BC whites are out there. I will be in the region at the end of summer and will take a look around for you.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza