• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly area breakfast with kids!

webhill

Hi everyone!

Before I get to the point here, i just want to introduce myself. I'm Hillary, a suburban mom/veterinarian/person-who-eats, and former avid poster to the phl.food newsgroup. I know some of you around here "know" me from there (not to mention my former incarnation as a support person at a local ISP) (Hi Holly! Hi Sandy! Hi Andrew!). Anyway, I just joined egullet, and have been reading up a bit (I'm now suddenly DYING to go to the Sansom St Oyster House, and I actually poured myself a glass of limoncello before sitting down to write this, if you can believe that...), and I figured, well, I'm never one to wait around, I'll just dive right in. So. Maybe you kind folks can help me out with what's been a continuing problem...where to go on Sunday morning for an early breakfast with the kids (who are 5 mos, 2.5 yrs, and 4.5 yrs old!)??

For the past oh, 4.5 years, we've been going to Ruby's Diner in Ardmore, the 401 Diner in Conshohocken, or the Ardmore Station Cafe in Ardmore. Ruby's and ASC get extra points from my son, because he can see the trains from there. But I can not tell you how sick (and tired) I am of this food. Oy. I really really REALLY really really want to go somewhere else for a change on a Sunday morning. When we go out, it's usually early - like, 8, 8:30 early, although if we go farther afield from our Lafayette Hill home, we could certainly end up arriving later - and we usually go with my parents-in-law, making us a total of 7 people (well, 4 adults, 2 children, and 1 infant).

So. Any ideas where we could try that is casual, would take a party this size, be kid-friendly and serve food that picky eaters will eat (pancakes, fruit, waffles, bagels, etc), while perhaps having something for the more adventurous to go for as well? I mean, my husband and I love Carman's, but the kids would just about die there. :)

I mean, my husband and I love Carman's, but the kids would just about die there. :)

Very possible at Caman's or server Alexis's hands :smile: No, Carman's is not the best choice for a family with young kids.

Welcome Hillary. It's about time you showed up. Looking forward to your contributions.

One place that might work is Honey, at 4th and Brown. It's a decent sized place with some space between tables which is good from a kids point of view. Interesting breakfast menu.

The other possibility that occurs to me is Famous Deli. I'd never have thought the place could sparkle so. They're kid friendly and it could be a lot of fun for all.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Welcome, Hillary!

I'm really bad at recommending breakfast places, because I never go out to breakfast. That said, do your kids like Mexican food? If so, I'll recommend the brunch place I always recommend: La Lupe. There's huevos a-plenty for the grownups, and there's also a small American-style menu (pancakes, etc.)

Sabrina's is good, of course, and I've seen kids in the restaurant without there being a problem. If you get there early, you won't have to wait long.

I agree with Holly on Honey or you could try Sabrina's on ummm I think Christian & 9th?

Ants Pants is fantasic @ 23rd & south, their outdoor patio could hold your group, they have fresh squeezed juices and some truly yum egg dishes

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I agree with Holly on Honey or you could try Sabrina's on ummm I think Christian & 9th?

Ants Pants is fantasic @ 23rd & south, their outdoor patio could hold your group, they have fresh squeezed juices and some truly yum egg dishes

The really sad thing is that as I read this, all I can think of is "oh no, fresh squeezed juice - am I going to have to bring cheesecloth, or will they also have some pulpless flavorless juice that my kids will be willing to drink?"

It's funny. I remember seeing Paul Roller's kids in restaurants and thinking "My kids will be like THOSE kids. Those kids appreciate food." This was when I saw them ordering decaf espresso, and a burger with gorgonzola, among other things. But my kids won't eat ANYTHING. It's enough to make me crazy.

:)

/h.

Hillary, I feel like I know you, as I have boys 3 and 5. At first, our little guy was a food-throwing monster much like lab-kept macaca mulatto research monkey released on the public, but he is much calmer now. We have been on a friday night circuit of Ruby's, Sams (Wynnewood), various pizza places (Bertucci's, Bravo, Dakota, etc), and the occasional trip to Chili's or Applebee's (good crayons/coloring). Thanks for this thread... any suggestions may be life-altering!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Hi Hillary (and all). I've also recently joined e-G after lurking for well over a year. I'm also a suburban mom (yikes! how did that happen?) w/a 2 and 4.5 year old. I love eating and all things food, though I don't get out nearly as often as I'd like these days (I'm in the middle of renovating my kitchen so I can at least do some real cooking at home). I often wonder - how did I get these picky little eaters? I swore I would raise kids who would be foodies, and thought that people w/picky kids must have done something to cause it. Enter my 2 y.o. who lives on a diet of squishy white bread, string cheese, and plain hamburger and becomes an absolute troll in restaurants. We have become one of those loud, obnoxious families I always cringed at.

Anyway, to your questions, we have a couple of regular breakfast stops in your general vicinity. I can't say they have anything exciting, but they do have good, basic breakfast stuff and are very kid-friendly.

First is the Trolley Car Diner on Germantown Ave. at the Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy border. Basic diner food, ice cream stand in an old trolley outside that is fun to walk around if trains are popular in your family.

Second is the Country Club Restaurant on Cottman in the Northeast. Very big, broad selection of traditional breakfast and jewish deli stuff.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do. Now, if anyone knows of anything decent in the restaurant challenged wasteland of Elkins Park/Jenkintown area, I'd love to hear it.

First is  the Trolley Car Diner on Germantown Ave. at the Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy border.  Basic diner food, ice cream stand in an old trolley outside that is fun to walk around if trains are popular in your family.

Second is the Country Club Restaurant on Cottman in the Northeast.  Very big, broad selection of traditional breakfast and jewish deli stuff.

How did I not know the Trolley Car does breakfast? We occasionally have dinner there and yes, the kids do love the decor and the ice cream trolley car.

As far as Country Club goes... I wonder if they would remember me there from when i was little? I'm told I haven't changed much. Heh. I haven't been there in FOREVER. Maybe we'll do a blast from the past weekend and check it out! Thanks.

Didn't LaBan recently revoke Country Club's bells?

I recall something about new ownership and a crack about the prominent posting of the original review.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a "breakfast" thread, but since Main Line suburbia has been discussed: Saladworks in Wynnewood is advertizing "kids eat free" on thursday nights....

I belch, therefore, I ate...