• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The HSG Microbrew Tasting

nwyles

Thanks to all that came. It was a great day, a fine lunch and a good unwinder. I'm sorry I did not get to hang with y'all as much as I would have liked. It has been a busy weekend and the prepwork fell a little behind. We had a great night at the Hammy only to be brought back dow to Earth with a resounding thud by a visit from the City of Vancouver Patio Police. I would add a bit more about that but as I have learned in the past,you never know who is reading your stuff and how it could come back and bite you in the ass.

Cheers to all,

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Just wanted to add our thanks to Neil, Joan and the staff at the Hamilton Street Grill for hosting another wonderful function for all us mouthbreathers and miscreants. :blink: Good to meet so many more of you, and a special thanks to Andy Lynes & his family for fighting off jet-lag to join us.

I'll be starting a discussion thread in the Beer forum for your tasting notes ... you all remembered to keep your notes right? :hmmm:

Thanks to all that came. It was a great day, a fine lunch and a good unwinder. I'm sorry I did not get to hang with y'all as much as I would have liked. It has been a busy weekend and the prepwork fell a little behind. We had a great night at the Hammy only to be brought back dow to Earth with a resounding thud by a visit from the City of Vancouver Patio Police. I would add a bit more about that but as I have learned in the past,you never know who is reading your stuff and how it could come back and bite you in the ass.

Cheers to all,

Neil

Thank *you*, Neil, and to Joan and the rest of the HSG family, Sorry to hear about the Patio Police - I hope it wasn't too bad.... :unsure:

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Thanks Neil, Joan and waiter Luke for the hospitality and good times. I loved the mini hangar (gone in three bites), the variety of beers (I took mental notes like "I should probably slow down after this one" :biggrin: ), and the company. Meeting the Lynes and their great kids was as much a treat as meeting Mrs. Talent, who along with Keith kept me laughing for the duration.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Here is the picture of the brisket....

gallery_25348_1380_12746.jpg

Awww - isn't it beautiful? This sucker was perfectly - and I mean perfectly smoked. So when Daddy-A asks to smoke your hog - let him.

Umm.. I don't have pictures of the hanger steak cause I ate them all. For all of my protestations of being too full after the C Lunch, I managed to polish off 2 (or 3) of the tasting portions.

Once again - Neil and his team were able to keep a bunch of lunatics happy. I think that it is out of pity that we are tolerated.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Thank you Neil, Luke and the lovely woman who answered the phone when I was lost somewhere on the sky train. I had a great time and probably overstayed my welcome despite having had only 20 minutes of sleep in 40 hours. The hanger steak was terrific and went very well with the cream ale. I'm one of the silly folks who left my notes behind. I'm also the one who started judging the ales in the wrong order and wondered why my cream ale tasted so off. The answer is that it was actually a lager. I noticed that PaoPao's handwriting became increasingly worse and the comments shorter and culminated in absolutely no comments for the final beer :)

Edit to add that my only regret is deciding not to order the gingerbread pudding even though I watched longingly as Andy's son enjoyed his serving.

Edited by Rhea_S (log)

So when Daddy-A asks to smoke your hog - let him.

I would ask that this phrase be stricken from this thread. This is a picture that would disturb even the freakist of you out there !!!! :wacko::wacko:

Lee....................... you are one sick dude.

Also, it was beef, not pork, you sick puppy !!!!!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

So when Daddy-A asks to smoke your hog - let him.

I would ask that this phrase be stricken from this thread. This is a picture that would disturb even the freakist of you out there !!!! :wacko::wacko:

Lee....................... you are one sick dude.

Also, it was beef, not pork, you sick puppy !!!!!

Hmm - I did not realize that I had stumbled upon some sort of kitchen based profanity. I was talking about food sir, and I realize the brisket is beef. So perhaps I should have said, let Daddy-A 'broil your beef'. Or is that another dirty phrase? I now understand what Anthony Bourdain was talking about when he described people who worked in kitchens. What dirty minds. What depravity.

All kidding aside - the brisket was very very succulent and would have been perfect in a sandwich.

Poor Arne - this object of so much abuse. Dude - we only do because.... you make so easy to do so. :wink:

It was a beautiful afternoon for a beer tasting and the Lynes family enjoyed meeting everyone. I unfortunately did not get a chance to try the steak and only tried one of the beers, which was delicious and refreshing. If Neil could remind me which type I was throwing down my throat with abandon I will be happy to rate it. I have gone native since arriving in Vancouver and have stuck to 1516, Okanagan Brewery Pale Ale as well as a few BC wines of course. I really enjoy the beers I have tasted so far and will be trying a few more tonight at Canoe in Victoria which I will report on in another thread. In the meantime, I would be really interested to read your thoughts on the beers served at Hamilton.