• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Villagio

keeperrox

Okie dokie, not sure if this is the best way to start off in this forum, but here's at it. I'm currently on page 54 of the 78 threads and thoroughly enjoyed every thread I've read so far. I'm currently residing in the Amish country of PA, but grew up in Morris County (and miss it dearly). My parents and most of my family still live in Morris Co. and the surrounding areas, and I return often (as I am pretty limited as to what I consider good food in this area), so I hope to get some good recommendations and add something to some discussions!

Anyway, I'm going home tomorrow to join my parents, along with some of their friends, at Il Villagio in the Powder Mill Plaza on Rt. 10 in Parsippany. I've only seen it brought up once so far in the 54 pages and it was just mentioned as a restaurant in the Parsippany/Morris Plains area (tried the search option too and came up with nada). I have a feeling I know what most will say about it. It's just your run of the mill, North Jersey, Red Sauce, Italian place.

I'd have to agree, with one exception (well maybe two) . The first, and minor exception would be that it's a bit better and typically more consistant that most Italian places I've been to in the Morris County area. The second would be their Seafood Salad Appetizer. I'm 99.9% serious when I say it's the ONLY reason we continue to go time and time again. If there are any more than 4 of us dining that night, we will get two.

The Seafood Salad is comprised of squid, shrimp, conch, onion, and celery, with a very light (but perfectly balanced) vinaigrette (I'm just a novice foodie of 23 and have yet to be able to recreate it, although I've tried). It is always perfectly cooked, not one thing in it is ever over done. Now that I live over 2 hours away, I've come to order one to go, because it's hard to go so long with out it. It typically doesn't last longer than one day though.

If you're in the mood for NJ Italian fare, then don't automatically cross Il Villagio off your list. It is BYO for those of you who are considering it. Also, while they closed in most of the patio area a few years ago to expand the dining room, there is still some limited outdoor dining. And please, PLEASE try the Seafood Salad. You won't regret it!

Edited by keeperrox (log)

Thanks for the info. Some friends of ours love that type of seafood salad. Maybe our next dinner out together I'll suggest it.

I see that you are new and so welcome to the board.

We'll be coming out your way in a couple of weeks. My cousins are coming in from Italy and one of the sights to see that they requested is Amish communities. So, we'll be taking a road trip out there. One of my favorite places to eat there is Paul Revere Tavern. It's historic, dining rooms are nice and have always found the food is be very good.

• 2 years later...

Just ate here for the first time tonight and it was excellent.

I had the Shrimp Fra Diavlo and it was quite good. Nice spicy sauce and it came with eight huge shrimp, plus a few mussels. My wife had the grouper special which was also really good. The grouper couldn't have been fresher. I would have ordered the seafood salad above, but she doesn't like shellfish. Next time, I'll be definitely ordering it.

Also, I regularly get their ravioli from the adjacent Ital Deli and their pumpkin ravioli are to die for. They even add nutmeg to the dough to give it some extra spice. I'm going to be sad when the fall ends and I have to wait another year for them.

We discovered this place about a year or two ago. We enjoy it on a regular basis - once a week or every other week. We like that we can get consistant quality of Italian-American cooking at a price where it doesn't pay to eat at home.

Some favs are their Seafood Salad (agree); their Green Bean, Tomato, Potato salad - $6.00 for an app that two can share with leftovers the next day; their pizza; and their flounder mareciada...; and the list goes on.

If you are looking for a very good Italian American restaurant, I do recommend it.