• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Butchers in Vancouver (Merged)

jayhay

Well, the topic search function in the new eG is now very less useful than it should be, so I have no idea (unless I read every post in this thread) if it's been mentioned. I visited Market Meats on 4th at the top of the hill beside Seven Seas. Absolutely first rate, totally comparable to Armando's, and better in some respects.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

I've just found my new happy place for meats! :wub:

Today I went to Chong Lee market on Victoria & E 48th (by the Value Village) because I've been told that they have excellent products. And oh wow - it is meat heaven! They've got their own full-scale butchery in the back (I think they wholesale to restaurants - from what I could see, their butchery operation is huge), and everything is amazingly fresh looking. But what really blew me away was the incredible variety of meats - beef shanks, entire beef hearts, chickens with head & feet attached, pork feet, tails and even brains! And it is inexpensive beyond belief. I didn't look too carefully at their beef roasts and steaks, as they were still stocking it for the morning, but I'll be back later this week for that. I also want to see if they've got squab and check out the duck selection. I came home with a "bubble" beef shank, pork hocks, and ground pork, all for well under $10 (plus another $10 for non-meat stuff).

And even though this is a butcher topic, Chong Lee has a wide array of fresh, frozen, and dried seafood, and Asian vegetables (I found banana flowers!), many of which I do not have the faintest clue what they are. Fruit selection is a bit more pedestrian - the usual apples and pears.