• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Butchers in Vancouver (Merged)

jayhay

Dillybravo, sorry to say, but Traditional Fayre is now closed. Much to my dismay. When it became TF though it didn't have much in the way of steaks, mostly traditional Scottish health food. Now, the previous owners of the Auld Scottish Larder (same spot, they retired) had the best aged meat in the city. The leg of lamb that I bought from them right before they closed was legendary.

thanks guys! i would've loved to try that dry-aged ribeye.. more than 28 days you say? i'm salivating already. Since Armando's is such a favorite, i'll pay him a visit next week and we'll see what he has.

Ack! I guess I'll have to pull a Steingarten and clear out 1/2 the fridge for a couple months. Unless anyone else has a line on extra-dry-aged beef? Maybe some of the organic producers... Good thing I didn't buy that BBQ last week (no patio, so it was gonna be a special cook-out in the park just for those steaks!).

yunez, while you're down there, can you ask them if their steaks are wet-aged or dry-aged and let us know?

Unless anyone else has a line on extra-dry-aged beef?

Well, Whole Foods in Park Royal claimed that they dry-aged a portion of their product for 30 days when they first opened. They had large slabs o' beef hanging on display behind the counter so I believed it. But I'm not sure they have kept that up. I don't notice the signs in the counter that this row of steaks is from aged product and this one is not. Nor do I notice a colour difference anymore, so I'm just not sure. You could phone. Regardless, it's a pretty good butcher. I've been very happy using them as my source of short ribs. Well, butchered, perfectly sized portions.

There sausages are better than adequate, but the nice thing is they sell the filling in tubs if you want. Much better than ground beef or something for a pasta sauce IMO.

What I find quite amusing though, is that WF has begun selling Blue Goose. You might think this is a good thing. I think it's funny, it's about a 2 minute drive to save yourself the markup and buy right from the source.

Mark.

Went to Armando's today and unfortunately, they don't dry-age their steaks (the butcher said practically everyone in the city doesn't do that anymore). He did recommended a Canadian prime cut ribeye though... it was well-marbled and aged between 35-40 days. Bought 3 steaks, cost almost $50. Cooked it, was very tender and had just enough of that beefy aroma to satisfy me. It was great, but I'm still on the hunt for the very best steaks here in Vancouver.

Well, Whole Foods in Park Royal claimed that they dry-aged a portion of their product  for 30 days when they first opened.  They had large slabs o' beef hanging on display behind the counter so I believed it.  But I'm not sure they have kept that up.  I don't notice the signs in the counter that this row of steaks is from aged product and this one is not.  Nor do I notice a colour difference anymore, so I'm just not sure.  You could phone.  Regardless, it's a pretty good butcher.  I've been very happy using them as my source of short ribs.  Well, butchered, perfectly sized portions. 

I think that if you ask them - they will age it for you. They will age a steak but will not age a roast (this was the case a few months ago). I have seen aged meat on sale once in a while. My favorite butcher there is AWOL - a big lug named appropriately Angus!. He was good at recommending good cuts and good values. However - the meat is generally well butchered all around.

I've noticed that they are selling Blue Goose. I know that BG has an outlet in NV but I always thought they were only open once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get Buffalo at Save On Foods. Outside of that, I'd suspect that any butcher would order whatever you wanted, (hell the crew at Herringers is so nice, they'd probably come over and cook it if you asked.)

And there's frozen buffalo at Seafair Meats, in the freezer. Ostrich almost everywhere.

Following up my earlier posting on aged beef - the WF butcher confirmed that the store will age entire rib of beef. Is an entire rib of beef ribs 5 through 13? Anyways it is a big chuck of meat.

They will dry age it for 28 days then remove the chine bone and the fat cap. The last time they did this - it came to about $250 for the entire set of ribs. They told me that this is the only way they sell aged beef now as the butcher shop is so busy now that they cannot spare the fridge space (does this make sense? I guess that aging the beef does cut into margins). I have visions of a Fiar Tuck-like feast dancing in my head now.

Then again they told me that they sold hangar steat - but they only knew it as skirt steak. Blank stares when confronted with the word 'onlget'. Amateurs.

The problem with most butchers is that they are now geared towards selling items to the vast majority of the public. Those that want their meat vaccum packed with no fat. I've had many a discussion with my butcher on the subject and his son still insists on trimming the meat that I buy. I usually have to shriek or gasp to get him to stop. Dry aged meat just isn't profitable for these guys anymore and most of them don't have the space. I remember walking through large sides hanging in the aging room of my dad's old shop. It was a huge room and then there was the walk-in and a freezer room. You just don't see this anymore. Everything comes in cryo-vac bags, to save space and money. There is a very small percentage of guys out there that would actually know what to do with a whole side of any animal and it's very sad. I think the Auld Scottish Larder was the last place in the city where you could find dry aged meat. Oh how I miss them.

The lady at Seafair told me that there's some sort of strike going on, so the trucks aren't delivering stuff like game meat to Richmond for awhile. All they had in the freezer were buffalo burgers.

I ended up going to Stong's for buffalo tenderloin from Hill's (frozen). They also had buffalo chuck roast, and cross-rib roast (dry aged, not frozen).

I live 10 minutes (walking) from Herringers. Gotta give them an endorsement.

Try the peach pies at British Home on the corner of No. 1 and Moncton -- great.

Another meat shop that might interest people

Nikuya Meats on Broadway near Renfrew - Japanese meats including Wagyu, and really good bentos to go.

Steveston seems to be lacking the really good seafood place that it deserves.

Not true! The oddly named Fish and Gift across from Papi's has great fresh seafood. They had the best halibut cheeks.

Ling, I ordered a bunch of buffalo last winter as a part of a soccer fundraiser. The product came from the Northen BC Buffalo Co. located in Fort St John. The meat is very tender and the tenderoin for example grills beautifully rare. Burgers, sausages, roasts and other cuts available too. If you're really into it, the contact I have is Lars Jorgensen trolle_@telus.net

BTW the "some sort of strike" is the container truckers' strike which is currently doing heavy damage to many BC companies and industries. I do not object to guys making a decent living, and I certainly don't want to get too political, but the strike is currently crippling our blueberry farmers (amongst others).

Then again they told me that they sold hangar steat - but they only knew it as skirt steak.  Blank stares when confronted with the word 'onlget'.  Amateurs.

Is there anywhere in town where you can get the real thing (uncooked)?

Then again they told me that they sold hangar steat - but they only knew it as skirt steak.  Blank stares when confronted with the word 'onlget'.  Amateurs.

Is there anywhere in town where you can get the real thing (uncooked)?

I believe Peppyre's Meat Shoppe recently had some, though possibly frozen.

No, unfortunately Windsor can't get hanger, although they do have flat iron now, which I picked up the last time I was in. I think Neil has secured all of the hanger steak on the West Coast.

Back when I lived in the West End...about a million years ago - my rent was only $425 a month, if that tells you anything :smile: I use to go to the Robson Market once in a while...there was a butcher shop there that was staffed by a man and what appeared to be his meat cutter daughters...5 buxom, bodacious blondes in bloody aprons. We used to refer to them as "the meat choppin' babes". Anyone know if they are still there?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Back when I lived in the West End...about a million years ago - my rent was only $425 a month, if that tells you anything  :smile:  I use to go to the Robson Market once in a while...there was a butcher shop there that was staffed by a man and what appeared to be his meat cutter daughters...5 buxom, bodacious blondes in bloody aprons.  We used to refer to them as "the meat choppin' babes".  Anyone know if they are still there?

Wow - let me know if they are and I think I just found a new butcher !!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I went in to the Lynn Valley Mall on a spur of the moment birthday shopping excursion. I stopped at Westlynn Meats & Seafoods, on a whim I asked Luiz the manager if he could order some. I had to educate him on what it was, he had never heard of it. Despite the fact that it is on his poster of cuts. Regardless he phoned his supplier, I'm pretty sure it was Trimpac and he'll have one pack of three for tomorrow at 3:30. He said he would keep one for himself, so there is one more for anyone that wants one.

So can anyone suggest a marinade and time in the marinade?

Mark.

Mark.

I have never grilled a hanger steak, but here is a good all-purpose steak marinade. It is simple, easy and tastes good.

pat dry mustard over both sides of the steak.

sprinkle a little worcestershire sauce and the juice of a lime over both sides.

marinate half hour.

salt and pepper to taste, then grill

the hanger steak experts may have some advice on this, but I think this cut should be lightly grilled to rare or medium rare (i.e. 4 or 5 minutes a side) - i think overcooking makes it taste kind of livery. but i would defer to the experts if they have a different opinion.

Mark.

I have never grilled a hanger steak, but here is a good all-purpose steak marinade. It is simple, easy and tastes good.

pat dry mustard over both sides of the steak.

sprinkle a little worcestershire sauce and the juice of a lime over both sides.

marinate half hour.

salt and pepper to taste, then grill

the hanger steak experts may have some advice on this, but I think this cut should be lightly grilled to rare or medium rare (i.e. 4 or 5 minutes a side) - i think overcooking makes it taste kind of livery. but i would defer to the experts if they have a different opinion.

Sounds good. Add some oil. Never cook the hanger over medium rare. You might as well throw it away if you do. You will not be worthy of the hanger.

Love the hanger and it will love you back !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Red wine, olive oil, garlic and maybe a little fresh rosemary if I have some. As Neil said, DO NOT COOK OVER MED-RARE!!!! This is very important. I cooked a piece to Med one night and was nowhere as good.