• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serving Rum

I was recently on a website about serving rum and island drinks, and the website says, "Rum punch pitcher and 4 grog / punch cups mugs

In traditional island homes, mugs are often used.

Frou Frou glasses were an invention of fancy schmancy hotel chains."

Are the latter 2 sentences true? When I was in Carribbean (Barbados to be specific), they served me rum in snifters and rum punch in regular collins glasses. What, in island tradition, is true regarding serving rum and rum drinks?

Sláinte,

Whit Roberts

(Yes, I'm part Irish, and I also like Whiskey.)

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on where you are in the islands you will be served rum in anything from a sample listerine bottle to a fancy cocktail glass. I've rarely seen rum served in snifters, actually rum has enough character that you don't need to concentrate the aromas by using a small opening glass. My friends, who live ashore, most commony use short glasses because they stay put when you set them down on a coaster. The same is true for boats.

I believe the quote was referring to the punch houses of the 1800s where rum was served in large mugs.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 month later...

Elixer,

rum is informal, so there's no right or wrong method of serving it. I like a shot glass or even a wine glass for drinking rum straight. A tall glass for mixed drinks, a short glass for rum-rocks. I've sipped rum from a mug, too.

Dan