• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Have you ever tried warheads? Man, those things were sour. When I was a kid, the bus driver used to drop us off at a candy store on the way home from school and I always got 1 dozen warheads to suck on the ride back. I used to shit like a firehose when I got back because it was a mild laxative but it was so worth it.

I have tried Warheads, but as much as I like sour candy, I've never cared for hard candy (I always end up biting and chewing them...very hard on the teeth) I definitely haven't eaten enough of them in one sitting to enjoy the "aftereffect". I'll just have to take your word on that one! :biggrin:

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Praline Bacon--bacon, brown sugar, chili powder, cayenne and pecans...I just made a batch for the office Christmas party and had to sample a "few" slices...I feel sick...but in a good way...

Well, today I began with the best of intentions... a cup of sliced fruit, but then, the eggs called to me, I ate one, fried in a non stick pan with hot sauce in the yolk; then another, then another-THREE eggs, WHOLE EGGS! :shock: ... then at lunch I ate my salad with a slice of avocadoand a sliced mushroom, good girl, back on track, but NOOO, the Muenster cheese called to me, I ate an ounce of THAT... then I had 3 tangy and chewy dried tomatoes with some cream cheese... flash to this evening, another big salad, but with the addition of MORE Muenster cheese via tonight's loaf of bread( today I made a delicious thyme and whole wheat loaf, I baked slivers of cheese into it... so bad and good!) with BUTTER! :shock: ... then a half cup of chocolate chip ice cream drenched in jimmies and a 1/4 banana... THEN, the final ignominy of the day... a 6 ounce chunk of beef roast, broiled. I...feel...sick. SO, today, the first official day of my diet, is a day full of guilty pleasures. <Rebecca needs some chocolate to feel better>

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Right now I'm chowing down on a whole bunch of extremely spicy Szechuan ... braised pork kidney, "boiled" fish fillet in hot sauce, spicy chicken giblets, Husband and Wife (beef and beef tendon) ... The chiles are sure to make my GERD act up, and all that meat, especially organ meat, is bound to provoke my gout, but man does it hurt so good! :biggrin: (At least I've got a bottle each of Tums and cherry juice for internal first aid afterward ...)

Well, today I began with the best of intentions... a cup of sliced fruit, but then, the eggs called to me, I ate one, fried in a non stick pan with hot sauce in the yolk; then another, then another-THREE eggs, WHOLE EGGS! :shock: ... then at lunch I ate my salad with a slice of avocadoand a sliced mushroom, good girl, back on track, but NOOO, the Muenster cheese called to me, I ate an ounce of THAT... then I had 3 tangy and chewy dried tomatoes with some cream cheese... flash to this evening, another big salad, but with the addition of MORE Muenster cheese via tonight's loaf of bread( today I made a delicious thyme and whole wheat loaf, I baked slivers of cheese into it... so bad and good!) with BUTTER! :shock: ... then a half cup of chocolate chip ice cream drenched in jimmies and a 1/4 banana... THEN, the final ignominy of the day... a 6 ounce chunk of beef roast, broiled. I...feel...sick. SO, today, the first official day of my diet, is a day full of guilty pleasures. <Rebecca needs some chocolate to feel better>

Oh man, what a diet ! :rolleyes:

I know, and I didn't even cop to the yogurt with cherry preserves I ate after lunch, did I? Uurrggghh, I'm avoiding going to bed, there's a box of chocolates in there!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Chocolate, and anything that has chocolate.

Cheesecakes of any sort--I've been known to eat a quarter of one in one sitting.

My favorite sandwich involves garlic bread, filled with egg mayonaise, cheese and sausages in between the layers. Yes, you read that right. 4 slices of bread and 3 fillings. I eat 2 of them at a go, sometimes substituting the egg mayonaise for a scrambled egg.

Fries--especially MacDonald's.

Cookies

Candy

Fried Chicken

Chao Guotiao

My saving grace? I don't like pork or pork products.

Ling, are you looking for a roommate? 'Cause I figure if we live together, we'll be able to eat more kinds of things each day. :laughing:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

The "extra hot & spicy" pickles that come in a bag at the gas station.

About once a year I gotta have one.... and then I drink about 2 gallons of water over the next several days. Eesh.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Velveeta chunks and Pet milk melted in a BIG measuring cup in the microwave.    Stir in a pound of al dente penne til well coated,  then toss in several kinds of REALLY Gucci cheeses.

You mean to tell me they've branched out from leather goods and fragrances into food?

God save me if my partner ever finds out.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Pickled pigs feet. I mean it. And no they're not cooked at all, they're just put in some kind of brine raw and pickled. :blink:

Not exactly Kosher, :rolleyes: but damned tasty, especially the stuff around the knuckles. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Macaroni & cheese - the kind out of the blue box with the fluorescent orange powder...eat straight outta the pan with a spoon.

Whipped topping out of the tub.

Maraschino cherries.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cheetos!

I'm eating the entire 99 cent bag I just picked up when I bought gas. And I'll be having Reeses PB Cups for dessert! :smile:

SB (wiping the cheese powder off the keyboard and mouse) :wink:

Cheetos!

I'm eating the entire 99 cent bag I just picked up when I bought gas.  And I'll be having Reeses PB Cups for dessert! :smile:

Had a friend in college who used to love those so much all her textbooks had orange stains on the pages (esp. during finals)!

OK, I admit to bagged snack chips...

totally unhealthy: Doritos nacho cheese

fooling myself that it's not as bad: Lundbergs rice chips, seaweed flavor

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Ah! the deliciousness of all bagged snack crisps....

Only possibly improved by placing the contents between two slices of processed white bread which have been thickly spread with mayonaise... and *squishing* it together into a wodge of crunchy salty goodness. :wacko:

Doing the above with a packet of Walker's Cheese and Onion Flavoured Crisps (Chips) is a truly shameful pleasure....

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

I am addicted to what must be the most fattening dip in the world. It is sooooo good though that I'm sharing the recipe and I double dog dare you to try it!

Oh, I don't really do recipes so you're just going to have to "wing" the quantities K?

Ok, big package of shredded swiss cheese, a cup of diced green onions, mayo (hmm, maybe 1/2 cup?) 1 bar of cream cheese, a little minced garlic and some freshly ground black pepper. Almost forgot: Six strips of really crispy bacon crumbled up. Now I'm a veggie so I use the veggie bacon strips by Morningstar and fry them in oil but, use whatever. All good.

So, dump the cream cheese and mayo in a bowl and microwave till soft. Add most of the swiss cheese and most of the scallions and the garlic and pepper. Add the crumbled up bacon or soy strips. Mix it all up and then sprinkle the rest of the shredded swiss on top and then the rest of the scallions. Stick it in the oven for about twenty minutes or so until the top gets a little brown. Serve with butter crackers or just eat with a big wooden spoon when nobody's looking. You could also serve it with veggie sticks but really, who are you kidding? Enjoy!

Melissa

:raz: Laura Secord French Mint chocolate bars - let them melt in your mouth with a sip of coffee.....................wow.........................

A&W onion rings are another one........... :biggrin:

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

Velveeta Shells 'n' Cheese with Bac-Os. (Velveeta was the only cheese we had in the house when I was a kid, until my mother discovered cream cheese when I was 14.)

Campbell's condensed soups, especially bean with bacon, with Bac-Os and a dash of Liquid Smoke.

Trader Joe's version of fried Chee-tos.

Queso in a jar meant for tortilla chips.

Kosher pickles! And Clausen's pickles. I LOVE the brine as well.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Bacco's right out of the jar. lick your finger, stick in jar, put in mouth. Repeat.

This was from my pregnancy six years ago.. :shock:

Put me down for the Chef boyardi pizza mix in the box too.. i add onions, mushrooms and extra cheese.

Melt velveeta and salsa in the microwave til the temprature of lava, dip plain nacho chips in it.

Bean and bacon soup with chunks of hotdog in it.

Anything pickled, onions, mushrooms, olives, pickles, califlower.

Dan Dee cheese corn :wub:

Oh, and Toasted, the dip you made with cream cheese, swiss, mayo, onion and bacon? I took that to a party this weekend, it was the first thing to dissapear! Ha! We rule!

---------------------------------------

Oh, and Toasted, the dip you made with cream cheese, swiss, mayo, onion and bacon? I took that to a party this weekend, it was the first thing to dissapear! Ha! We rule!

So cool! I'm tellling you, if I'm going to get fat eating this stuff then everybody around me is going to eat it and get fat too. Glad they liked it. :smile:

Melissa

Oh, and  Toasted, the dip you made with cream cheese, swiss, mayo, onion and bacon? I took that to a party this weekend, it was the first thing to dissapear! Ha! We rule!

So cool!  I'm tellling you, if I'm going to get fat eating this stuff then everybody around me is going to eat it and get fat too.  Glad they liked it. :smile:

AAAAHHH Toasted you're so evil!!!! that Dorito Salad was scrumptuous!!! I had to add jalapenos though as I like an added kick to it. But OMG it was soo good, I even watched two of my self-professed gourmet friends stuff their faces with it. hahaha , then I just had to tell them the contents after they were done. They said it was a good thing I told them after they've eaten, otherwise they wouldnt have touched it.......as they were scooping their third helping. :laugh:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Oh, the Doritos salad! Very evil! I've killed myself making complicated brie/pear/ leak tarts only to see them ignored, because people love the Doritos Salad! I've made so many delicious things but once the guests taste the salad it's all over. I have to admit, it's one of my favorite things too. Eating that by the pool with a nice cold beer, life is good! :biggrin:

Melissa

NYC dwellers will know this one: I used to grab a package of those big fig newton-ish things at the counter of the deli every now and again. You could tell the owner of the store probably wrapped them his or herself....6 months ago.

One day my roommate found out and was disgusted ; ) so yes, I was the reason those things existed and even thrived. until I moved out of the city. I just hope they haven't all aged too much by the time I make it out for a visit in spring.

I eat peanut butter and honey by putting some honey on a spoon and then carefully dipping it into crunchy peanut butter. I'm not really embarrassed about that though....

Sometimes it's the ironic choices that make the food most embarrassing. For instance, I absolutely will not eat farmed salmon (I call it cancer fish), but I love crab with a "k", especially when eaten in a salad with bacon ranch dressing.

Edited by aaustin (log)

Cheetos!

I'm eating the entire 99 cent bag I just picked up when I bought gas.  And I'll be having Reeses PB Cups for dessert! :smile:

Baked, not fried--the really airy, puffy variety, of course, right? :wink:

Here in Philly we go Cheetos one better:

Herr's Hot Cheese Curls

These have a nice little afterburn. The more you eat, the stronger it gets.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3