• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

bpearis

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

Nutella - straight from the jar on a spoon.

Yes. And sometimes without the spoon.

:raz:

Fingers were the original utensils.

No. Mouths were. Fingers rare in nature.

No. Mouths were. Fingers rare in nature.

Not for humans! Mercifully, we're not discussing the guilty pleasures of other species :raz:

I personally have a weakenss for this stuff: http://www.royalunibrew.com/Default.aspx?ID=196&PageNum=3 I can drink this by the litre, and feel that this should be something I'd be expected to be ashamed of, but can't actually seem to be.

I've gone up about 5 kilos in weight over the last year, and the simple reason is that my local food pusher have a permanent campaign selling Berliners, you know the deep fried buns that's filled with jam and rolled in sugar, 3 for the price of 2. I am not able walk pass them. They are so soft and puffy and fat and sweet and delicious I salivate the second I enter the store and smell them. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

After a week-long trip to a friend's cabin (where there's no electricity or running water) and where we existed on easy-to-prepare foods, I found I REALLY like spray cheese!!!! Yes! The Kraft stuff. The bacon and cheddar flavor served on Ritz crackers.

• Like 1

I don't think any food should be thought of as a *guilty* pleasure. Just my personal view. Whatever it is, it is just something that one enjoys for whatever reason at that moment on that day or whatever time period one may hanker for said food. Everything in moderation would be nice, of course. Ketchup? It's a fine condiment. I enjoy it when I want it on my food or when I use it in cooking a dish - I don't feel any guilt about it. (In fact, I sometimes use it as a preferred savory component of certain cooked dishes - the particular taste of the ketchup is part of the likable (to me) character of the dish. Of course, some ketchups are better than others, with Heinz being my preferred one.) Instant ramen in those crinkly packs or in those styrofoam cups? They're fine. Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle soup, the one where you dilute it with a can of water - it's perfect for when I feel like it. For myself I try not to consider that there are foods, whether mass-produced or artisanal, that I am not supposed to eat just because it's not what a Foodie is supposed to eat or that is supposed to be completely unhealthy for me etc etc. Everything in moderation, no? Again, just my opinion, for my personal situation, and clearly other folks feel differently.

There's a NYT article that I've quoted here on the forum elsewhere - about chefs looking for some of their favorite stuff in Aisle xx in the supermarket. (forgive me for quoting it here again - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/dining/top-chefs-say-that-sometimes-only-supermarket-brands-will-do.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&) Wylie Dufresne said, in that piece, that “It’s actually a fuller life to try all that stuff. I would rather not be pious about things.”

Peace.

:-)

Edited by huiray (log)

Chili cheese coney with onion and mustard from Sonic.

Unadulterated ramen packs. The cheap ones.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream for brekkie.

Little Debbie Swiss cake rolls. Eat all the chocolate coating off, unroll, lick the cream, eat the cake.

Unadulterated ramen packs. The cheap ones.

BRAVO!!

Mint chocolate chip ice cream for brekkie.

That was my hangover cure in college...