• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

-Homemade peach cobbler

-Ben and Jerry's or Cold Stone ice cream (because I can't go to Cold Stone without getting a waffle bowl and adding at least three toppings)

-Mac and Cheese. Oh how I love Mac and Cheese. Even better with a thick slice of ham. Ooooh.

-Doritoes. I can easily eat an entire bag, especially when drinking

-Hostess Cupcakes

-Those new butterfinger crisp bars. Man, it's like a kit-kat but with peanut butter. That's what Im talking about.

-A giant chocolate milkshake with a plate full of fries. One of my summer favorites.

And something that was a pleasure before, but wasn't aware that it was such a guilty pleasure...

Slushies. Apparently those bad boys carry about 800 calories to them. Dang.

Four or five Krispy Kreme originals with a big glass of milk. (Or a mountain dew...is that evil or what?) I'm with Ling on the jar of peanut butter, chocolate and a big ass spoon too. Split grilled bagel with peanut butter, raspberry jam and bacon or a full on platter breakfast of eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and bisuits and gravy on the side with extra gravy for the hashbrowns. Let's not forget happy hour after work with whatever is greasy and good with lots of alcohol. Rum punch makes a nice dinner. Or just rum.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Oh the trump... how sweet it is.

I just have two words for you...

CARLO ROSSI.

Oh yes. Hubby thought he'd be nice and bring me some wine. See, he coaches youth football and it's that time of year. Football Widow Season. So yeah, he bought some wine on his way home from practice. Carlo Rossi Burgundy. Dear lord, I love it. Should I hand over my "Foodie Card" right now? To top it off, I'm drinking a glass and watching "Being Bobby Brown". What part of "Guilty Pleasure" is not covered here?!?!?!!!???

I am the queen of guilty pleasures. Bow down. :laugh:

Edited by lesfen (log)

Oh the trump... how sweet it is.

I just have two words for you...

CARLO ROSSI.

Oh yes.  Hubby thought he'd be nice and bring me some wine.  See, he coaches youth football and it's that time of year.  Football Widow Season.  So yeah, he bought some wine on his way home from practice.  Carlo Rossi Burgundy.  Dear lord, I love it.  Should I hand over my "Foodie Card" right now?  To top it off, I'm drinking a glass and watching "Being Bobby Brown".  What part of "Guilty Pleasure" is not covered here?!?!?!!!??? 

I am the queen of guilty pleasures.  Bow down.  :laugh:

Being Bobby Brown - perhaps the greatest new show of the summer (sorry Bourdain) :laugh: .

You are indeed the queen.

And, when I can drink again in a few weeks, perhaps I too will buy a bottle of Carlo Rossi Burgundy and toast you and Bobby and Whitney.

:laugh:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Being Bobby Brown - perhaps the greatest new show of the summer (sorry Bourdain) :laugh: .

You are indeed the queen.

And, when I can drink again in a few weeks, perhaps I too will buy a bottle of Carlo Rossi Burgundy and toast you and Bobby and Whitney.

:laugh:

Maaaan... I feel BAD today. I don't know which is worse... the hangover or the shame.

I do those at home. Snickers, Mars bars, Twinkies. I am now going to do a burger. If I can put a batter on it and it will fit in my frier, I'll try it

I forgot about those!! I deep fry Snickers & Milky Way minitaures. I wrap them in wonton skins & drop the basket. 60 seconds later (if that) I have a winderfully, delicious & extremely bad for me deep fried piece of chocolatey goodness. MMMM.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

At our office BBQ last week, one of the employees brought a dessert that had us all in heaven. It was a concoction of two different kinds of ice cream, crumbled maple cookies, crumbled Skor bars, caramel dessert topping, chocolcate dessert topping and Cool Whip. She kindly share the recipe but I just about dropped when I read the nutritional information - 509 calories per slice and 24.5 grams of fat. Talk about a baddy but goody!!

I ate a batch of cookie dough yesterday.

I guess I should feel bad about that...but I'm eating my second batch right now.  :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You bad girl!

Michael aka "Pan"

Goldfish crackers (cheddar), egg salad sandwich made with Dailey's peppercrusted bacon chopped

into the mix on whole wheat bread with yet more mayo on the bread, crispy gaugee, chicken strips from the Safeway deli while I shop the store handing over the empty bag to the cashier to ring up,

frozen Reese's peanut butter cups, Tombstone pizza with more pepperoni added and a coating of

fresh parmesan all over the top and red pepper flakes, fried pork chops - the whole thing even the

fat on the edges with a ginger jelly glaze trickled on top, mashed potatoes slathered in butter and

maybe even cheese, right after I leave the parking lot from Pilates sometimes stopping in at McDonald's and getting a Mighty Kids happy meal double cheeseburger with extra ketchup and a

lemonade, prime rib bones held in hand slurping out all the juice and hidden meat.....and big martinis! In fact I am going to shake up a batch right now so my husband and I can indulge in the

hot tub when he returns from walking the dogs - I feel guily for not going along! a hui hou......Just

finished the rest of a bag of said goldfish....... :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I ate a batch of cookie dough yesterday.

I guess I should feel bad about that...but I'm eating my second batch right now.  :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You bad girl!

I just ate a good amount of the peanut butter cookie dough that I mentioned in this thread http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71797...you know, just to make sure I still like the Korova cookie dough more. :wink:

"Jersey Girl Cream Puffs"...

Fresh zeppoles from the boardwalk, split & filled (or whole & injected) with Kohr's Frozen custard (also fresh from the boardwalk! :wub:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

"Jersey Girl Cream Puffs"...

Fresh zeppoles from the boardwalk, split & filled (or whole & injected) with Kohr's Frozen custard (also fresh from the boardwalk! :wub:

You forgot the final step of dipping it in melted boardwalk fudge!!! :wub:

"What garlic is to food, insanity is to art." ~ Augustus Saint-Gaudens

The couple that eGullets together, stays together!

Chocolate cupcakes, made with lots of chocolate chips.

Cheese. All kinds of cheese. I love cheese!!

Big, fat, juicy bacon cheeseburgers with french fries.

And, the ultimate . . . all you can eat sausage, brisket, and pork ribs from the Salt Lick Barbeque in Driftwood, Texas. Swimming in their wonderful sauce. Washed down with a Shiner beer. This is heaven. I am getting teary-eyed just thinking about it. One bite, and I am home! I fast for days before going! :wink:

• 4 months later...

SOUR CANDY!

I anticipate someday needing reconstructive surgery to my teeth and jaws.........but I just love them.

Sour Patch Kids (these are nicely sour, but they will make your gums ache)

Sour Skittles (when you've eaten enough of these at once you can actually get a welt on the inside of your cheek...eat a few more after this point and you will get a slight "shock" along the welt with each one ....similar to the effect you get if you bite down on a foil gum wrapper with a tooth that has a filling)

Hands down my favorite!

Jelly Belly Sassy Sours (good, some flavours are better than others)

Sour Starburst (barely sour.....don't go there)

I also love Almond Joy, so much so that I buy one whenever I see them for sale (they don't seem to be around much in Canada)

If only I'd worn looser pants....

SOUR CANDY!

I anticipate someday needing reconstructive surgery to my teeth and jaws.........but I just love them.

Sour Patch Kids (these are nicely sour, but they will make your gums ache)

Sour Skittles (when you've eaten enough of these at once you can actually get a welt on the inside of your cheek...eat a few more after this point and you will get a slight "shock" along the welt with each one ....similar to the effect you get if you bite down on a foil gum wrapper with a tooth that has a filling)

Hands down my favorite!

Jelly Belly Sassy Sours (good, some flavours are better than others)

Sour Starburst (barely sour.....don't go there)

I also love Almond Joy, so much so that I buy one whenever I see them for sale (they don't seem to be around much in Canada)

Have you ever tried warheads? Man, those things were sour. When I was a kid, the bus driver used to drop us off at a candy store on the way home from school and I always got 1 dozen warheads to suck on the ride back. I used to shit like a firehose when I got back because it was a mild laxative but it was so worth it.

PS: I am a guy.

i make batches of meringue to eat with a spoon. a big bowl of it, all glossy and thick and white. NOTHING better. so pretty and delicious.

lots and lots of bacon.

crab rangoons! i CRAVE those things.

french fries dipped in mayo with a little ketchip mixed in.

mashed potatoes made with a mixer (creeeaaaamy) and LOTS of butter and milk.

Chicken, turkey, duck skin. I even like it when it isn't crispy.

Chicharron.

Bacon!!

Anything deep fried.

Cheetos.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany