• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

[...]I plan to make an entire dinner tonight of guilty pleasures:  Roasted garlic smeared on toasted bread with olive oil, fried corn, french fries with gravy and maybe some cookie dough if I'm up for it.  "happy heartburn.......happy heartburn......" :unsure:

Hey, the garlic is good for your health, and the olive oil isn't bad. You might need more roughage though... :hmmm:

Michael aka "Pan"

I have a small container of duck fat in my fridge,  and sometimes I'll dip a spoon into it and just feel it melt on my tongue.

:laugh:

My mom eats butter straight from the fridge! She just stands there at the kitchen counter, slicing butter and popping it in her mouth. Her eating habits are sometimes just as nasty as mine....heh heh heh.

how is it that none of you are roughly the size of a house???? :huh: I walk by the Krispy Kreme store, and my hips expand by about 5 inches! Seriously, I wish i had that kind of metabolism. I plan to make an entire dinner tonight of guilty pleasures: Roasted garlic smeared on toasted bread with olive oil, fried corn, french fries with gravy and maybe some cookie dough if I'm up for it. "happy heartburn.......happy heartburn......" :unsure:

heh, totally. Perhaps such metabolism is only bestowed upon those who the gods feel are worthy ;) I know if I had that kind of calorie burning ability I would rent an apartment right outside of Tony DeLuc's and spend my days chowing down on cheesesteak after cheesesteak (with an occasional (ok, more than occasionaly) roast pork sandwhich thrown in). Perhaps it is a gift for those of us who can show culinary restraint from time to time, or else we would manage to eat up all of the US and Canada's foodstuff reserves...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm reminded of things I eat by heaping spoonfuls that I really shouldn't:

mayonnaise

butter

peanut butter

Nutella

cream cheese

chocolate cream-cheese frosting

coconut-pecan frosting

pimiento cheese

clotted cream

whipped cream

Cool Whip

I do not feel guilty about anything I eat. Huge slabs of prime rib, I have my butcher make my burger with extra fat, Butter on everything and always to excess. I drink to much and to often but I gave up smoking. No quilt just necessary. I love to BBQ and I will sit and eat ribs untill the fat is dripping from my elbows. Have you had a deep fried Twinkie? How about a deep fried snickers? YUM! Melted cheese; I don't care where or how or on what. Melt it I will eat it. Fondu has nothing on me. I made a sandwich on a loaf of french bread I thought it was for my wife and I. It fed 6 adults and 3 kids. Salad isn't any good untill it has more thousand isle dressing and crewtons(?) than lettuce.

And to top it off I am old and skinny.

The French eat tons of butter and drink wine for breakfast. They have a lower rate of heart disease than americans. The Japanese eat poisonious fish (about 10 die each year) We don't but are loading up on mercury poisoning. Italians guzzle olive oil and are as bad with wine and strong coffee as the French. They have better health than the British or Americans.

Food isn't what kills you......It's speaking english! :wacko:

Michael

That which does not kill you makes you stronger

:wub:

New favorite !

Potato chips dipped in gazpacho..............

Oh please that isn't enough to raise your pulse rate. do the wrong thing; eat straight fat. Pork is best but fries cooked in beef fat rules!

Michael

We have rosemary potato chips at work that should carry a warning label they are so good. Made fresh every day.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I do not feel guilty about anything I eat. Huge slabs of prime rib, I have my butcher make my burger with extra fat, Butter on everything and always to excess. I drink to much and to often but I gave up smoking. No quilt just necessary. I love to BBQ and I will sit and eat ribs untill the fat is dripping from my elbows. Have you had a deep fried Twinkie? How about a deep fried snickers? YUM! Melted cheese; I don't care where or how or on what. Melt it I will eat it. Fondu has nothing on me. I made a sandwich on a loaf of french bread I thought it was for my wife and I. It fed 6 adults and 3 kids. Salad isn't any good untill it has more thousand isle dressing and crewtons(?) than lettuce.

The French eat tons of butter and drink wine for breakfast. They have a lower rate of heart disease than americans. The Japanese eat poisonious fish (about 10 die each year) We don't but are loading up on mercury poisoning. Italians guzzle olive oil and are as bad with wine and strong coffee as the French. They have better health than the British or Americans.

Food isn't what kills you......It's speaking english!  :wacko:

Heh, seems to be that way doesn't it? Perhaps if we adopted Italian or Latin as the official language of the US (hey, the Romans seemed as fond of excess as I do).

But wow, to be able to eat that way and get to be old and skinny? How I envy you ;)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I absofreakinlutely love this topic! You all are giving me the total giggles! Okay, first off, I am a food addict, and probably shouldn't even be reading this thread... But I've been known to do things I shouldn't do. :cool:

Guilty pleasures (with or sans guilt) and they depend on mood. In no particular order:

Coldstone ice cream with the chunky chewy brownie bits and caramel

Kraft caramel cubes

Salt and vinegar or salt and pepper potato chips - dipped in sour cream

Inca corn nuts (the big kernals -- they don't knock your teeth out!)

French fries dipped in chocolate milk shake

French toast

Matzo crackers smeared with butter

Kosher dill pickles -- specifically Bubbies

Cream cheese - rolled up in thinly-sliced deli meat, stuffed into celery sticks, on a bagel with lox and tomato, or straight out of the package

French onion soup -- more cheese!

Sugar babies

The crispy cooked skin off of most meats

That spinach dip in the hollowed out bread bowl

Tapioca pudding with the big tapioca balls

Bubble tea

Chinese pork buns

Dim sum

Spoonfuls of: cherry jam w/fruit, almond butter, marshmallow fluff, shredded coconut, chocolate sauce, any kind of pudding, gravy

Cold meat pizza

Donuts with jelly or custard filling

Sugar cubes

Cold straight from the can or heated in a bowl (doesn't matter): Dinty Moore beef stew, mild beef chili, clam chowder

White rice with butter, sugar, cinnamon, and milk - warm... mmm!

Thick grilled cheese sandwiches

Tostitos with melted Velveeta, sour cream, and olives

Dark dark chocolate

God, this was like a mental binge! I feel dizzy with it... :blink:

Sage

Food isn't what kills you......It's speaking english!  :wacko:

Heh, seems to be that way doesn't it? Perhaps if we adopted Italian or Latin as the official language of the US (hey, the Romans seemed as fond of excess as I do).

But wow, to be able to eat that way and get to be old and skinny? How I envy you ;)

The old part baffles me I never thought I'd get past 21 but the skinny part comes from running my kester off in hot kitchens.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I did something I wanted to do for quite a while. BBQ a prime rib. Oh man! Good isn't good enough. Strong spice rub, good hot fire (Indrect heat) and roasted sweet potatoes and fresh corn. The fat was so crispy all I could do was munch. Dead Rare and good to the bone. 5 of us ate the whole thing, 10 lbs+ plus the sides. I love red meat, throw it in a pan-when the screeming fades to a low moan serve it. Next I am going to do a turdunkun(?) a turkey that has been glove boned then a duck (same treatment) that is stuffed in then a chicken and then a squab. Smoke it and eat it!

Michael

Well, here's Charlie Brown watching clouds again, but here goes: A frozen Little Debbie Stars&Stripes cake. Just one of the two in the wrapper. It's creamy-firm, with almost the texture of an ice-cream bar, a tiny 2" square, maybe 1/2 an inch high, pour-coated with a thin layer of icing, which is a bit parafinny itself. It's solid vanilla, from the little block of cake to the pour, to the red lines slashed across for decoration (rockets' red glare, maybe). The little threads of red have a tendency to escape from their moorings when you take a bite, and lo, much later, you look down and there's a tiny red fleck upon your shirtfront, which can be retrieved and munched at your pleasure. Or, having fallen upon your plate, should you have one, there is ample opportunity to do your best Lucy impression of the time she was trying to evict a long-staying Tennessee Ernie houseguest, and pleaded poverty, serving one slice of stale bread, then picked up each and every crumb with a moistened index finger.

And then there are wee blue stars which are like the fallout if you punched a hole in some dried Royal-Icing paper. They are eminently crunchable, caught up between your front teeth, with one satisfying little "click" as they give way and give out a wisp of vanilla before they disappear altogether.

And it's the last one of the season, from a package bought before our 4th celebration, immediately unboxed and tucked into the flat of the tiny top freezer shelf, like little dominos in a row. Unless maybe Big Lots or Aldi has a shipment already near exp. dt. Freezing them couldn't hurt.

I am a saltaholic. I drink pickle juice, olive brine, I eat tomatoes with salt on them and drink the juice off the plate.

I also like Nutella on a spoon. Butter, especially steaks with butter. Cheese. Bacon. Chicken wings.

I don't think any of these things are that bad, per se, but I tend to overindulge in them.

And sometimes, really crappy Tastykakes.

Jennie

Well, here's Charlie Brown watching clouds again, but here goes:  A frozen Little Debbie Stars&Stripes cake.    Just one of the two in the wrapper.  It's creamy-firm, with almost the texture of an ice-cream bar, a tiny 2" square, maybe 1/2 an inch high, pour-coated with a thin layer of icing, which is a bit parafinny itself.  It's solid vanilla, from the little block of cake to the pour, to the red lines slashed across for decoration (rockets' red glare, maybe).  The little threads of red have a tendency to escape from their moorings when you take a bite, and lo, much later, you look down and there's a tiny red fleck upon your shirtfront, which can be retrieved and munched at your pleasure.  Or, having fallen upon your plate, should you have one, there is ample opportunity to do your best Lucy impression of the time she was trying to evict a long-staying Tennessee Ernie houseguest, and pleaded poverty, serving one slice of stale bread, then picked up each and every crumb with a moistened index finger.

And then there are wee blue stars which are like the fallout if you punched a hole in some dried Royal-Icing paper.    They are eminently crunchable, caught up between your front teeth, with one satisfying little "click" as they give way and give out a wisp of vanilla before they disappear altogether.

And it's the last one of the season, from a package bought before our 4th celebration, immediately unboxed and  tucked into the flat of the tiny top freezer shelf, like little dominos in a row.  Unless maybe Big Lots or Aldi has a shipment already near exp. dt.    Freezing them couldn't hurt.

Oh Man...........

for some reason Little debbie cakes are one of the ONLY sweets I like ! I never thought of freezing them !

:wub:

Jeniac,

I, too, am mostly a salty/mustard person, and make all our "Ranch" dressing with dill pickle juice, crushed (or powdered, do not TELL) garlic, some minced parsley or fresh dill, and mayo...it's super-salty, just to my taste. Milk and buttermilk just blanded it out, but this pickly stuff is great. Also, do not look when Hubby pours a glop onto his baked potato.

last week i ate chocolate chip cookie dough for dinner. well, i had the cookie dough as an appetizer, followed by hot cookies for a main and broken cookie pieces in vanilla ice cream for dessert.

this week i have moved on to dipping pieces of aero chocolate bars into honey roasted peanut butter.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

British/Scottish pleasures that I have never tried.

These may be folk legends as I have only met people whose friends have tried them, however, Scotland is famed for the deep fried battered mars bar.

If you think that this is bad, it is rumoured that they also batter and deep fry pizza slices and entire cheese burgers.

I suspect that no one would admit to having eaten either of these as it is the culinary equivalent of telling your wife that you just slept with a lady of the night. :)

Potato bread or white bread dipped into gravy. Any kind of gravy.

Last time I made fried pork chops and onions, I made some gravy to go with the chops.

Hahaha, yeah right, it never made it that far.

Me & my fiance finished off half a loaf of potato bread sopping up all the gravy. :wacko: The kids were MAD 'cause we ate all the gravy :laugh:

But now whenever I make gravy they want some "gravy bread" too ! :hmmm:

Edited by jilli42 (log)

Today is going to be one of those days.....

British/Scottish pleasures that I have never tried.

These may be folk legends as I have only met people whose friends have tried them, however, Scotland is famed for the deep fried battered mars bar.

If you think that this is bad, it is rumoured that they also batter and deep fry pizza slices and entire cheese burgers.

I suspect that no one would admit to having eaten either of these as it is the culinary equivalent of telling your wife that you just slept with a lady of the night. :)

I do those at home. Snickers, Mars bars, Twinkies. I am now going to do a burger. If I can put a batter on it and it will fit in my frier, I'll try it

Michael

Potato bread or white bread dipped into gravy. Any kind of gravy.

Last time I made fried pork chops and onions, I made some gravy to go with the chops.

Hahaha, yeah right, it never made it that far.

Me & my fiance finished off half a loaf of potato bread sopping up all the gravy.  :wacko: The kids were MAD 'cause we ate all the gravy  :laugh:

But now whenever I make gravy they want some "gravy bread" too !    :hmmm:

Boy, there is a scene from my childhood........except it was Wonder Bread ! :laugh: It is still the best thing about Open faced Turkey Sandwiches ..............

For me, it's Lays Potato Chips dipped into Temptee Whipped Cream Cheese.

Not just a few chips, mind you, but the family size bag and tub.

I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and have been a very good girl the past two months. Something about being in a bathing suit for a week straight makes me "just say no" to my obesssion. All bets are off, however, as soon as the plane touches the tarmack the following week.