• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

THIS WEEK it was crispy chicken skin... just the skin, and then I roasted a shoulder of pork, the whole thing, and ate the crispy skin and some of the underfat happened to be coming off with it, so I had no choice, right? 

Being chubby is so underrated....

So, why do you think that fried chicken backs are reserved for me, at least in this household?!?!

The bacon on bacon sandwich (sans bread) sort of qualifies for this, as well.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

THIS WEEK it was crispy chicken skin... just the skin, and then I roasted a shoulder of pork, the whole thing, and ate the crispy skin and some of the underfat happened to be coming off with it, so I had no choice, right? 

Being chubby is so underrated....

You know how you can buy those rotisserie chickens? Costco has really yummy ones. I have to sneak them in the house and hurry to slice them otherwise I hear, "HONEY ? What happened to the chicken........?" (Like he doesn't know :wink: )

Kathy

Cake batter. Many's the cake that I've baked just so I could eat some of the batter before baking it. Yes, yes, I know about the raw eggs and all that-- at least I refrained when I was pregnant with my kids!

And my family actually isn't that wild about cake! But hey, they love me at work... :laugh:

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

braised or stewed meats.

porky pork pork

sour cream can go with any food. think about it.

baguette with like a stick of butter

the skin off things

refried beans

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

the skin off things

You mean like the skin off donuts?

Salt. Hey, it's healthy; it's sea salt! I'll take the liquid from a bowl of salted tomatoes, pour it into a glass and drink it.

Horrible greasy sweet and sour pork, from a place that I know I will feel crummy in an hour for eating it, but sometimes you need a bowl of grease.

Pistachio and black sesame gelato (not at the same time). Many years ago, when I was laid up for 6 weeks with a badly broken wrist that required surgery and a bone graft from my hip, my body (apparently) craved calcium, and I ate a pint of Chunky Monkey nearly every day. My bones healed quite well!

Almost everything I put in my mouth, really, as even if I eat something good for me, it's usually covered by or accompanied by something that is not.

Sigh.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

ditto on the ice cream

i have a terrible habit of getting hungry around six oclock and snacking so much that my snacks turn into dinner, so i end up eating an odd combination of pretzels, chips, peanut butter, a few spoonfuls of ice cream, nuts, etc. but no solid meal

pie and other sweets (like dulce de leche out of the jar) are my total weakness

You know how you can buy those rotisserie chickens? Costco has really yummy ones. I have to sneak them in the house and hurry to slice them.

You slice them? What restraint!!! I just rip the skin off, crisp it in a pan and eat it standing up in the kitchen, then the wings and the butt then I put in back in the fridge. Sometimes I share with my cats.

Anyways I am to much of a libertine to believe much in feeling guilt from experiencing pleasure

There are times I feel really truly guilty, as opposed to oh god why did i eat that , people with body fat should not eat things like that!!

So I feel really truly guilty when I buy meat products that are neither responsibly raised or processed either from laziness (real guilt) or thriftiness (guilty: new shoes vs lamb that was kindly grown, less guilty: rent vs free range chicken)

That and cold egg rolls eaten in the middle of the night standing over the sink and I have felt a twinge of guilt whilst lying in bed eating chocolates but only if I am alone

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Cake batter. Many's the cake that I've baked just so I could eat some of the batter before baking it. Yes, yes, I know about the raw eggs and all that-- at least I refrained when I was pregnant with my kids!

I'm with you on that one. Cake batter... cookie dough... mmm.

One of our local custard stands (Pav's) has a weekly special flavor and three weeks ago it was CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER. Oh yes. It was as wonderful as it sounds. After the week is up, you can buy pints of the past weeks special for $1.00. $1.00!! Sold! They are also nice enough to print out a schedule of their upcoming special flavors for the summer. CCB will be back in August. Sweet.

M. Lucia- Nothings better than a spoonful of Dulce de Leche while standing with the fridge open. Maybe a banana, pear or apple slice, bit of bread to spread it on. But the simple pleasure of a spoonful of dulce de leche is the best.

This past winter I was watching a prime-time football game and looking for an appropriate snack. In my fridge were some corn tortillas, leftover buffalo wing sauce and cheese and, voila, Buffalo Enchiladas. The tortillas were fried and the whole thing was served stacked, like pancakes, with layers of the sauce and cheese in between. I believe that one would be hard pressed to come up with anything more nauseatingly greasy than that concoction, with the oil, cheese and buttery sauce. However...

I must admit that I have actually made these a couple of times since then, though I always regret it afterward- the hallmark of a truly great guilty pleasure, imo.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

some recent indulgences :wub: :

-cream cheese frosting. like, a bowl of it.

-pecan cream filling from an excellent carrot cake recipe. again, I make extra just so I can eat a bowl of it.

-uhm...the coconut cream filling I made for a cake today

-the Costco-sized jar of peanut butter. A big spoon. A bag of good quality (but not too expensive) dark chocolate chips (like Callebaut). Scoop, sprinkle, eat. I do this daily. :raz:

-picking off all the struesel on the cake...and the pie crust edges. not because it's bad for me, but because I feel a bit guilty stealing all the good bits...

-any type of cookie dough (I usually prefer this over the actual baked product)

-I fry sausages almost every morning for breakfast, and scramble my eggs in the leftover sausage grease. Mmm...smoky, porky, eggs.

-I like anything that I describe as "fat on fat"--examples: fried prawns smothered in chili-mayo, poutine (fries, cheese curds, gravy), fried chicken skin and gravy, dense cheesecakes with homemade caramel sauce (making this in a few days for a bbq....looking forward!)

-I've posted about this before, but I often eat sour cream like most people eat yogurt (straight out of the container). In fact, I ate a container yesterday. So much tastier than the healthy stuff. :laugh:

Edited by Ling (log)

some recent indulgences  :wub: :

-cream cheese frosting. like, a bowl of it.

-pecan cream filling from an excellent carrot cake recipe. again, I make extra just so I can eat a bowl of it.

-uhm...the coconut cream filling I made for a cake today

-the Costco-sized jar of peanut butter. A big spoon. A bag of good quality (but not too expensive) dark chocolate chips (like Callebaut). Scoop, sprinkle, eat. I do this daily.  :raz:

-picking off all the struesel on the cake...and the pie crust edges. not because it's bad for me, but because I feel a bit guilty stealing all the good bits...

-any type of cookie dough (I usually prefer this over the actual baked product)

-I fry sausages almost every morning for breakfast, and scramble my eggs in the leftover sausage grease. Mmm...smoky, porky, eggs.

-I like anything that I describe as "fat on fat"--examples: fried prawns smothered in chili-mayo, poutine (fries, cheese curds, gravy), fried chicken skin and gravy, dense cheesecakes with homemade caramel sauce (making this in a few days for a bbq....looking forward!)

-I've posted about this before, but I often eat sour cream like most people eat yogurt (straight out of the container). In fact, I ate a container yesterday. So much tastier than the healthy stuff.  :laugh:

Ling, for the love of GOD, how old are you? I want to be you for just one day

Geez............... :angry:

My last post gave me the idea to go have some more heavy cream (and berries, ok!) and I consumed said snack while watching the last part of a profile of sexual behavior researcher A.C. Kinsey on American Masters. ("Heh, heh, I said 'Masters." "Shut up, Butthead.")

Findings:

1. How sad that my most notable guilty pleasure these days involves the contents of a cheap cereal bowl.

2. Most Americans experience heavy cream at least once in their lives despite societal pressure to use 1%.

3. Regarding peoples' consumption of heavy cream and berries, on a scale of one to six, with berries at one end and heavy cream at the other: Most people fall somewhere in the middle. Very people consume all berries, or all heavy cream.

Back to the lab.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Whenever I order buffalo wings there is always tons of extra sauce and some extra bits of fried chicken wing that fall off into the bottom of the styrofoam container...

That stuff, mixed with whatever blue cheese is left, eaten with a spoon, or just scooped up with fingers...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Well, I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift and decided to fire it up last night. As if frozen custard isn't enough of a guilty pleasure... I put Magic Shell on it. That's right. Magic Shell. I'm so ashamed.

Well, I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift and decided to fire it up last night.  As if frozen custard isn't enough of a guilty pleasure... I put Magic Shell on it.  That's right.  Magic Shell.  I'm so ashamed.

I LOVE Magic Shell............