• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Some people leave room in their luggage for wine. I bring back Gummi Bears.  Rote Greutze on the front, cream on the back, and cute!

I have to say that the German gummy bears taste better than the American ones for some reason. I still don't like them, but they do taste better.

--I like those coke bottles for some weird reason.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Totino's pepperoni pizza rolls

Oh boy, pizza rolls! Wow I haven't had them in nearly a year. Other favorites:

Utz kettle classic potato chips

and most embarassingly ... Jax cheese doodles. The cheesy powder rubs off on your hands and you have to lick your fingers.

I will be going off my diet at Christmas and will have a few of these for the occasion.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Hmm...here's something I do when no one's around.

I take some frozen white flour tortillas, and defrost them in the microwave. Then add a good amount of oil into a hot pan, and fry those tortillas up. Sprinkle with salt. They are soooo delicious--crispy, but still a bit soft. I just ate a whole stack of 'em after dinner. :wub:

Wendy's Bacon Double Cheeseburgers (hold the tomato - it's a texture issue I love the taste of tomato)

and perhaps most disturbingly ..................... Peanut Butter and mayonaisse on toast.

I thought I was the only one who eats the lettuce and tomato separate from the burger when it arrives--assuming it arrives open-faced, with the lettuce and tomato on the top half of the bun.

Does anyone else ever eat their French fries with ketchup and mustard mixed together? I enjoy that on occasion.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Does anyone else ever eat their French fries with ketchup and mustard mixed together?  I enjoy that on occasion.

my dad does that. I think its weird. But I used to like drinking pickle brine as a kid, so what the hell do I know?

I love kid's cereal: Count Chocula, Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, etc. Anything with flavored marshmallows and I'm hooked. And after eating all the cereal, it's always imperative to drink all the syrupy sugary milk left over.

Hmm...here's something I do when no one's around.

I take some frozen white flour tortillas, and defrost them in the microwave. Then add a good amount of oil into a hot pan, and fry those tortillas up. Sprinkle with salt. They are soooo delicious--crispy, but still a bit soft. I just ate a whole stack of 'em after dinner.  :wub:

Hmmm - fried tortillas topped with salt, aren't those called tortilla chips - I think 8 billion people a year eat them but most don't bother top make them "from scratch"

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Does anyone else ever eat their French fries with ketchup and mustard mixed together?  I enjoy that on occasion.

my dad does that. I think its weird. But I used to like drinking pickle brine as a kid, so what the hell do I know?

I still drink pickle brine, and I'm 42...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

• 1 month later...

Velveeta chunks and Pet milk melted in a BIG measuring cup in the microwave. Stir in a pound of al dente penne til well coated, then toss in several kinds of REALLY Gucci cheeses. The sumptuous Velveeta coating makes all the yummy grated stuff stick. Bake the whole thing in a big gratin pan and serve to any and all "gourmets" you know. One guy said he couldn't decide if he were in the best bistro in Paris, or eating at Grandma's while watching cartoons.

But don't tell the secret of the sauce.

I don't let myself do this very often, but there are times when it's a must. I love to heat a can of sweetened concensed milk until it turns to caramel, and then sit and eat it with a spoon until I can't eat another bite. The leftovers, if any, go in the fridge and I have cold caramel the next day.

Don't tell anybody, OK? :blink:

and Pet milk melted in a BIG measuring cup in the microwave

Woah... Had to Google that one, just to make sure. What a relief :biggrin:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

• 4 months later...

There is a dill dip that is made by Down Home Foods that I just love. I chop up dill pickles and stir them in and can eat a whole bag of potato chips (GP #2) with it for dinner. (Eccchhh....that sounds SO disgusting ! :sad: )

Please, make me feel better and tell me what YOU know in your little heart of hearts that you should walk right by, but..............

K

THIS WEEK it was crispy chicken skin... just the skin, and then I roasted a shoulder of pork, the whole thing, and ate the crispy skin and some of the underfat happened to be coming off with it, so I had no choice, right?

Being chubby is so underrated....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com